This is probably why we didn't have comic news

Drtooth

Reaction score
Apparently, that's it. After the four seasons:

Langridge is leaving

Does this mean the thing's over? It really is a total shame, and I hope we get a new writer and artist to continue the stories. I don't wanna see the Muppet Comic go away and never return. This has been an excellent project for the Muppets, and it really is helping build interest in the movie.

He also posted this blog Which slightly explains why the Muppet comic hasn't been out for over a month.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Bummer. But it's understandable- hopefully things will work out well for Mr. Langridge. Hopefully someone will continue The Muppet Show comic book because it has been a really great read. But I guess we'll just see how it goes.:concern:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just hope they're continuing Muppet comics PERIOD. Even if they need a new writer, and continue the Muppet Show comic... or just cancel that series and give us another Muppet style comic book.

dwmckim

Reaction score
While i'm sad to hear about Langridge leaving, i doubt Boom/Disney will pull the plug on the comic altogether - or at least if they know what's best, they won't.

This is after all, a wild success with issues continually selling out including its debut which went into a second printing. While RL has done an incredible job with the comic, and he's written all the issues of TMS so far, i'm sure there are other talented writers who can also contribute - as the Muppet Classics line has demonstrated. In fact, it might be rather nice to see fresh takes by more people. Langridge is a hard act to follow but i think we've taken it for granted that TMS=Langridge - the possibility's always been there after each arc that another writer could do it whether as a guest, replacement or rotating series of artists.

There may be delays as the appropriate setting-up of writers are arranged but Boom/Disney should definately continue with the comic - especially as we enter the movie countdown.

Drtooth

Reaction score
There are too many ifs for my taste here. IF the comic continues and IF they find a suitable replacement and IF this and that IF they decide to keep the comic going... not to mention what IF they decide to cancel it, what IF they replace it or What IF this is the end of Muppet comics? That's the thing about uncertainty... it's so... uncertain. We won't know IF anythings up until anyone mentions it.

This makes me wish I was an established comic writer. If I was, I'd LOVE to propose a 4 issue miniseries based on Muppets Tonight for a change. A Transitional bit.

That said, we usually hear about the Muppet classics 2 series ahead, just before the next series starts. We heard about Sherlock Holmes roughly after King Arthur ended, and we learned about Snow White just when Peter Pan ended. Sherlock ends this month... and unless they're keeping their news underwraps, it may just spell the end for that line too. Rescue Rangers 1 comes out tomorrow, and there just may be answers within... I didn't know about RR until Darkwing Duck's like second or third issue. But then again, I'm not part of any Disney afternoon news group. message board, or facebook page.

if nothing else, the bright spot in the lack of Muppet comics (should that arrise) means I get 6 extra bucks a month freed up to get Rescue Rangers and Archie's new Mega Man series when that starts. And IF the next series of Fraggle Rock the comic ever comes out.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This is sad news. Hopefully whoever takes over (assuming it continues) will do a great job. But still, there are many characters who haven't been in the comic book, who haven't been drawn by Langridge (I know, they might appear in the next storyarc which will still be done by Langridge). Langridge's comics still haven't included appearances by the likes of Marvin Suggs and the Muppaphone, Lips, Doglion (has he been in ANY Muppet comics from Boom! Studios), Gaffer (ditto), Angus McGonacle, and others.

Still, if another writer/artist takes over, I wonder if Pepe and other Muppets Tonight characters will start to have heavy involvement in the comic book. I'd still like for Jim Henson Hour characters to be worked in if MT characters do, though the writer of Muppet Snow White said that they couldn't include them (still not sure if it was because of production or a misunderstanding of ownership... Not sure why Henson would still own the MuppeTelevision characters).

I'd do it if I got the opportunity, though I'm not a professional. In fact it would be cool if Disney and Boom gave some of us fans (the ones who haven't worked for Boom!) the chance to write and draw different issues. Probably wouldn't happen, but who knows?

But aside from that, if only one writer takes over, I'd like it to be the writer of Muppet Snow White, since that was heavy on minor characters fans might not be familiar with, like Spamela and Lips, who even had featured roles. My choice for illustrating would be Amy Mebberson. In fact I'd like to see what a Mebberson-scripted Muppet comic would be like (even though she's said she doesn't like including minor characters just for fan service). Not sure whether she's written a comic book before or just illustrated.

Another good option would be if a different writer and artist were assigned one storyarc at a time. I read that the illustrator of Muppet Robin Hood was instructed to imitate Roger Langridge's style, which didn't turn out too well. It'd be interesting to see that illustrator given a second chance, to see how his depictions of Muppets would look under different circumstances.

muppetperson

Reaction score
There doesnt appear to be anymore Fairy Tale versions, but issue 12(holiday theme) of
the Muppet show ongoing is still to be released, along with TPB prints of Muppet Sherlock Holmes and Muppet Mash.

beaker

Reaction score
Apparently, that's it. After the four seasons:

Langridge is leaving

Does this mean the thing's over? It really is a total shame, and I hope we get a new writer and artist to continue the stories. I don't wanna see the Muppet Comic go away and never return. This has been an excellent project for the Muppets, and it really is helping build interest in the movie.

He also posted this blog Which slightly explains why the Muppet comic hasn't been out for over a month.

While this is disappointing, the man obviously needs a break.
Given the TREMENDOUS talent Boom already has in their roster and could easily employ; why would the Muppets comic line be at all in jeopardy?

The only reason the series or offshoots could end if if they felt they weren't selling enough to warrant publication. That's it.
I can think of a ton of current Boom artists/writers(as well as for other companies) that'd be perfect to fill the void.

If anything we need a glut of more Muppet titles to flood in 2011! (I say spinoffs, not more classic fairy retellings)

beaker

Reaction score
There are too many ifs for my taste here. IF the comic continues and IF they find a suitable replacement and IF this and that IF they decide to keep the comic going... not to mention what IF they decide to cancel it, what IF they replace it or What IF this is the end of Muppet comics? That's the thing about uncertainty... it's so... uncertain. We won't know IF anythings up until anyone mentions it.

This makes me wish I was an established comic writer. If I was, I'd LOVE to propose a 4 issue miniseries based on Muppets Tonight for a change. A Transitional bit.

That said, we usually hear about the Muppet classics 2 series ahead, just before the next series starts. We heard about Sherlock Holmes roughly after King Arthur ended, and we learned about Snow White just when Peter Pan ended. Sherlock ends this month... and unless they're keeping their news underwraps, it may just spell the end for that line too. Rescue Rangers 1 comes out tomorrow, and there just may be answers within... I didn't know about RR until Darkwing Duck's like second or third issue. But then again, I'm not part of any Disney afternoon news group. message board, or facebook page.

if nothing else, the bright spot in the lack of Muppet comics (should that arrise) means I get 6 extra bucks a month freed up to get Rescue Rangers and Archie's new Mega Man series when that starts. And IF the next series of Fraggle Rock the comic ever comes out.
You're such a Wembley worry wart man:smile: Though yeah, usually we do hear of changeups or new titles way in advance. I'm sure it'll be a temporary hiccup. Of course i propose we start putting out Muppet doujinshi/fan comic zines, but that's another topic.

It would be absolutely bullocks for Boom to cancel the line for anything other than financial reasons. Why should the Muppets canon line rise and fall with Mr RL? I was a fan of his writing and style back when everyone was saying how he couldnt draw the Muppets, but even I feel the time is needed for new blood.

Now I think it's amazing that Boom continues to put out all these amazing Disney character comics(Dark Wing, to the Donald and Super Hero stuff, to everything else) but I can't see them ending the Muppets anytime soon.

By the way, there's a Megaman series coming? I LOVED the Dreamwave series from 2003(Dreamwave was the best comic company ever before Boom, and IDW can't come close)
Ive grown to become a huge fan of the modern Sonic Archie comics like Sonic Universe, so I definitely cant wait. Actually, I havent been this big a fan of Archie comics ever, so they're doing something right.

Truth be told, I have zero interest in most the comics out today, so I mostly just hit up the "kid's comics" section at my local shops.

beaker

Reaction score
This is sad news. Hopefully whoever takes over (assuming it continues) will do a great job. But still, there are many characters who haven't been in the comic book, who haven't been drawn by Langridge (I know, they might appear in the next storyarc which will still be done by Langridge). Langridge's comics still haven't included appearances by the likes of Marvin Suggs and the Muppaphone, Lips, Doglion (has he been in ANY Muppet comics from Boom! Studios), Gaffer (ditto), Angus McGonacle, and others.

Still, if another writer/artist takes over, I wonder if Pepe and other Muppets Tonight characters will start to have heavy involvement in the comic book. I'd still like for Jim Henson Hour characters to be worked in if MT characters do, though the writer of Muppet Snow White said that they couldn't include them (still not sure if it was because of production or a misunderstanding of ownership... Not sure why Henson would still own the MuppeTelevision characters).

I'd do it if I got the opportunity, though I'm not a professional. In fact it would be cool if Disney and Boom gave some of us fans (the ones who haven't worked for Boom!) the chance to write and draw different issues. Probably wouldn't happen, but who knows?

But aside from that, if only one writer takes over, I'd like it to be the writer of Muppet Snow White, since that was heavy on minor characters fans might not be familiar with, like Spamela and Lips, who even had featured roles. My choice for illustrating would be Amy Mebberson. In fact I'd like to see what a Mebberson-scripted Muppet comic would be like (even though she's said she doesn't like including minor characters just for fan service). Not sure whether she's written a comic book before or just illustrated.

Another good option would be if a different writer and artist were assigned one storyarc at a time. I read that the illustrator of Muppet Robin Hood was instructed to imitate Roger Langridge's style, which didn't turn out too well. It'd be interesting to see that illustrator given a second chance, to see how his depictions of Muppets would look under different circumstances.
I second the talent search! Or at least a special issue featuring
the best of reader sent in pinups and short comic stories(Antarctic Press does this several times a year with its Gold Digger title)

And as you and Drtooth said, they need to move on from strictly TMS and start incorporating more modern chracters(Muppets Tonight, Jim Henson Hour, etc) We need Big Mean Carl! :3

I say the artist and color team behind Snow White should be given a new Muppet title, as well as the writer. To me it's the best of the Muppet title artist/writer teams.

Also, did she really say she doesn't include fan service cameos?
As I've seen a lot of obscure characters in the issues, though usually in purely Langridge issues(I mean, MAMMA was even in an issue)

The Muppet comics NEED Pepe, that's for starters. They need to
get more going besides the theater, and we need to see more of a connection to other parts of the Muppet world. If Disney owns the rights, why not include a wide swath of characters between 1955 and 2010?

We need Pepe, Digit, Big Mean Carl, Zondra, Bobo, Sal, Johnny, Van Neuter, Bean Bunny, etc!