This sucks!

anathema

Reaction score
<rant>
eBay have just suspended my account, cancelling 37 auctions I was running in the process.

They have done this because I have not provided them with a contact phone number. I have been completely unable to hammer into their thick skulls that I do not *have* a bloody phone number to give them! And considering that eBay themselves refuse to provide a contact phone number, I think their behaviour is hypocritical to say the least.

They never used to mandate the provision of a contact number - I've been an eBay user for over six years and this is the first time there has been a problem. They're not answering my questions, so: can anybody confirm whether this is a recent change to their terms & conditions that I was unaware of, or whether it's always been there and they've just started enforcing it?

</rant>

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
At first I thought this was going to be a thread about vaccuum cleaners. Still, I wonder, why didn't you just give them somebody else's phone number, or make a number up?? That's what I do when I write checks.

anathema

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
At first I thought this was going to be a thread about vaccuum cleaners. Still, I wonder, why didn't you just give them somebody else's phone number, or make a number up?? That's what I do when I write checks.
I did. Apparently they check. Specifically, I filled out the phone number field with zeroes, as I don't want to provide a number that might turn out to be a real one.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Oh, Alex, they'll figure THAT one out!! So what if they call someone else's number--it's not like those folks know you...unless it's friends.

So, why don't you have a phone? Suppose "I" wanted to call you up?

anathema

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Oh, Alex, they'll figure THAT one out!! So what if they call someone else's number--it's not like those folks know you...unless it's friends.

So, why don't you have a phone? Suppose "I" wanted to call you up?
Providing a fake phone number is also against the T&Cs, so as soon as eBay discovered that's what I'd done, I'd get suspended again.

I didn't say I didn't have a phone. I just don't have a phone number that I'm prepared to publish, which is what this amounts to. eBay aren't going to be ringing me - the reason they want my phone number is so that when another user requests my contact info, they get my name, address and phone number. I have an unlisted ex-directory number for a very good reason, and I have no intention of giving it to anyone other than friends and family. I use my cellphone for all business calls - it's the only point of contact my bank, credit card companies, utility companies, etc have for me - but I do not intend to give *that* to eBay either. They say that a company phone number or a voicemail number would be acceptable. Fine, except that the only voicemail service I have is on my cellphone, and I'm not authorised to give out my office's phone number for non-business purposes!

I do my business by email, period. And I absolutely do not want some US buyer who doesn't realise/doesn't think/doesn't care that 6pm on the west coast is 2am in the morning over here ringing me!

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Ugh. Lousy luck. :frown: What do you sell over eBay? You must have an awful lot with 37 auctions going on right now! So will they let you back on after a while, or are you out of luck?
Erin

anathema

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
Ugh. Lousy luck. :frown: What do you sell over eBay? You must have an awful lot with 37 auctions going on right now! So will they let you back on after a while, or are you out of luck?
Erin
Oh various things :smile: In this case, I have a pile of laserdiscs that I'm trying to get rid of before I move house...

I am appealing their frankly rather irresponsible decision. It's not just me they're inconveniencing - several of those 37 auctions had bidders who are now presumably just as narked as I am.

If eBay decide to be pricks about this, there are options open to me...

King Jim

Reaction score
I'm very sorry about you losing your account.

McFraggle

Reaction score
I'm sorry too. Hopefully it gets resolved in a nice manner.