This thread has brought to you by the letter X!

mikealan

Reaction score
Hi guys! I have so many memories of the SS skits that are sponsored by the letter X. When I watched Sesame Street Unpaved episode #560 last Tuesday, it had many X skits, and I remembered the other X skits I watched as a kid.

Here are the "X" memories...

The animated skit about Master El Danso and his Training X's. He does tricks to these x's like putting the green "x" in the "exit" sign and looking through the other x's mouth.

Another animated skit where a white man taught us about the letter X. Here's how it went:
We see a man painting a black "X", then talks about it. He said words that end with "X" are "fox", "box" and "ox". Whenever he has to go, he makes the "X" smaller to make the "EXIT" sign.

X-Xray (an old cartoon)- First, a doctor says, "X! X-Ray!" Then, a man goes to the x-ray machine and checks his body, and it disappears! Finally, the doctor says, "X!"

Another animated skit where a blue man stamps an "X" on his horse saying, "Brand X!"

Some live woman singing "How I Miss An X" on the nightclub scene

Sherlock Hemlock sings "X Marks the Spot"-it is definately available on the album, "Sesame Street: Sing the Alphabet". I watched that at age 6 or 7, then I saw it again on Sesame Street Unpaved #560 at the Museum Of Television & Radio. COOL!

Harvey Kneeslapper makes a joke around Fat Blue. Harvey said, "Psst! X marks the spot!" Then, Fat Blue said, "Where? Where?" and Harvey said, "Right here!" So Harvey slaps the spot on the Fat Blue's chest first and then he slaps the X on the spot on the Fat Blue's chest. Harvey then laughs uncontrollably, so Fat Blue lets out a scream.

"From now on, ah'll be known as Cowboy O! Yippee!!"-a classic cartoon about Cowboy X. Here's how it went:
Cowboy X stamps X's all over the town of Sniddler's Gulch-on houses, streets, schoolhouses, buildings, horses, town halls and even on all good citizens, so they decided that he had to be stopped. Then a little boy said, "Wait! What if we just ask Cowboy X to please mark up the whole town filled with X's?" and the citizens agree to do it. Cowboy X arrives back stamping a last "X" on the little boy's hat. The citizens ask him to stop, and he did stop! So he rides off, leaving O's all over the town of Sniddler's Gulch and becomes Cowboy O as the narrator said, "And the citizens of Sniddler's Gulch lived happily ever after, because they really weren't very smart!" This reminded me of Tic Tac Toe-O's are better than X's! I used to listen to the MP3 of it, and before I get to see it on Sesame Street Unpaved, and then it went funny!

Bert, Ernie and a live kid briefly demonstrate about the letter X

"Mystery Letter"- it hosted by Guy Smiley and the contestants of this game show are Cookie Monster, Don Music and Sherlock Hemlock. Cookie draws an "O", then Don draws an "M" and then Sherlock draws an "I", but the "X" said that it was not O or M or I.

These are the "X" skits I remembered.

Do you guys remember the other "X" skits?

ssetta

Reaction score
I have got to see episode #560 sometime! Especially since it was never on Noggin. Do they have any other non-Noggin episodes?

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
They have at least two more, which, in the database, are titled "Big Bird's Insomnia" and "Sesame Street Goes to Prison". (In the Museum's database, titles reflecting the general street plot, or saying something like "season premiere", are listed, instead of the episode numbers; for example, #560 is entitled "Game Show Parodies" in the Museum's computer database.) Also, they have the (network, not PBS) special "Julie Andrews on Sesame Street" in their collection as well.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Originally posted by mikealan
Some live woman singing "How I Miss An X" on the nightclub scene
I think that's Patti LaBelle. At least my parents say so.

Do you guys remember the other "X" skits?
I have a 1997 episode where a letter X is fed up with neglection and wants to leave the alphabet, so everyone dedicates the whole episode to the letter X, featuring a few of the skits mentioned above.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by Jeffrey Gray
They have at least two more, which, in the database, are titled "Big Bird's Insomnia" and "Sesame Street Goes to Prison".
Sesame goes to... WHAT THE....?!?!?!?! Please explaine!!!!!!!

Mumu Talpaz

Reaction score
audio of cowboy X skit

Can be found here:

http://www.flicklives.com/news_2002.htm

scroll down to the Jan 28, 2002 entry.

My friend Diana calls it "Sniggler's Gulch," or in particular likes to say that someone/thing she thinks is dumb is from "Sniggler's". but is it really "Sniddler's"? Can anyone confirm?

Drtooth

Reaction score
It is INDEFINATELY Sniddler. It had a sign on the town's opening gate that said "Sniddler's Gulch!" I wonder where they got Sniddler from?

Sounds like Sniddler on the Roof or something...

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
I remember the episode that BooberGorg is referencing. It was a young, greenish X that wanted to have the entire episode dedicated to it. Even Sherlock Hemlock came by and mused about the game show where he, Don Music, and Cookie Monster had to guess the identity of a mystery letter. Personally, I would have prefered to have seen him sing "X Marks the Spot". Here are a few other segments:
1 The animated segment with a twirling X and a German voice sings about both the letter and a few names that end in X.
2 The episode from Season 32 where a giant X with sungalsses comes to the Street, which is only seen by Telly at first. The cool part of this episode is that it sort of spoofs the X-Files because of the spooky music played whenever the giant X appears.
3 From Cookie Monster's Season 33 letter segments, there's one where he immediately eats the X-cookie and can't show anyone any X words. A doctor AM wheels in an X-ray machine to X-amine the cookie inside his tummy.

punkNpuppets

Reaction score

"Mystery Letter"- it hosted by Guy Smiley and the contestants of this game show are Cookie Monster, Don Music and Sherlock Hemlock.
impossible. Don and Guy are the same puppets

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
And yet, it happened. Guy Smiley hosted the game show where a letter X signed as the mystery contestant. Cookie Monster thought the letter was round and fluffy as a cookie, an O. Don Music started humming to himself and then ventured a guess at what letter was the guest, an M. Sherlock Hemlock started explaining his prowess as the World's Greatest Detective until he theorized as to what letter it was, an I. Each contestant drew the letter in the air right in front of them, whilest wearing blindfolds over their eyes. Finally, the letter X said that he had to meet some friends of his and jumped into his place in the "Exit" sign above the exit door before everybody left the studio. Hope this clears everything up!