Thoughts: A new modern version of THE MUPPET SHOW on Disney Channel?

jacobsnchz

Reaction score
This is a hypothetical question (and IDK if this has been mentioned in the thread if the movie is a success)...

If the film does extremely well with children and family audiences, how would you feel (or who it would work) if the Disney Channel decided to green-light a new version of THE MUPPET SHOW? If it was nothing more than TMS we all know and love, except it had different guest stars that this generation of kids might be familiar with. Imagine an extremely better version of Studio DC and So Random, currently on the network.

I would certainly hope the Muppets return to television if this film is extremely successful, which it looks like it certainly well may be.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
yepp it will be successfull and i would love to see it happen a muppet show!

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
Eh, as much as I'd like a new Muppet show, I just wouldn't like it being in the hands of Disney Channel. They already have crappy "tween" friendly shows already and I feel like they might try to do the same to the Muppets. Now, I would want to see more of a family-friendly Muppet Show on ABC or ABC family. I feel like those networks would work better.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
o yea disney channel would ruin it and make it more like all about the stars of disney or make it mainly about the host

12Medbe

Reaction score
I feel it'd do better on another Channel such as ABC or ABCFamily, heck Disney could partner up with TBS and have TBS do the show. I see no reason for a modern Muppet Show to not be successful.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
If it was nothing more than TMS we all know and love, except it had different guest stars that this generation of kids might be familiar with.
I think children today would learn a lot more about talent and art by watching the original Muppet Show's guest stars. I'd much rather have my kids watch actors and musicians known for their significant and lasting impact on pop culture, than some flavor of the month bubble gummers. :wink:

We are not doing our kids any favors by only showing them things "they are familiar with." How are they supposed to learn anything new if we hide everything from them?

It drives me crazy when adults say, "Oh don't show them that, they won't know what it is." Then these same adults complain when their kids know nothing about history or art. I have ZERO sympathy.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think children today would learn a lot more about talent and art by watching the original Muppet Show's guest stars. I'd much rather have my kids watch actors and musicians known for their significant and lasting impact on pop culture, than some flavor of the month bubble gummers. :wink:
Bruce Forsythe had a significant and lasting impact on pop culture?!

Guests of the Muppet Show past and present were people who were well known at the time. Some just stuck better than others. Some had a significant career before they went on, like John Cleese and Vincent Price. Some were in thins that were current but very famous... the Star Wars episode for example. But then there's people that were popular at the time that, frankly, I've never heard of. And I've heard of Ernie Kovacs (don't know who the shell he is, but I know of his existence). Most of them had a huge impact on our culture, some of them only impacted the culture of the UK... some just were popular at the time, and you never heard of them again. That's the way it is with any show with guest stars and guest hosts. There are people on SNL that are memorable, some that were just promoting some movie or something, and some that are better known for being on SNL.

You never know who's going to remain famous 10 years down the line, and I think that certain people do deserve a chance. The Muppet show should be a place for up and comers and more seasoned celebrities alike. If someone wants to be on the Muppet Show and ends up working well with the Muppets, isn't that really a bad thing?

Though I do think Disney integrating their product pop stars into the show would be a probability. Highly likely... even though Disney's slowly weaning themselves off of that kind of entertainment. But as long as we get celebrities with a broader appeal in the mix as well, I'm all for it. There was always a few guests that I didn't get or care much about in ALL the Muppet shows (including Sesame Street). But they speak to people and some people like them.

My concern isn't who's on the show, but the writing. I want to see something that has classic aspects that doesn't come off as a retread, all the while something new without being too alien. Whoever writers the show should check out the Muppet Show comic books because Roger showed that you CAN still write for the Muppet Show and make it new and exciting.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
it's muppets of course they're gonna do it!! we need REAL kids shows not like mad, or problem solvers WE NEED KID FRIENDLY STUFF!! that's why kids watch family guy and American dad there's nothing else to watch and then they learn stuff that they're not supposed to learn untill they're 13
It has to be like the orginal Muppet Show, something that appealed to kids and adults. True, the age of 12-14 is the hardest age for everything, becuase you're too old for kid stuff but you're too young for teen stuff. We NEED a new mordern Muppet Show but NOT Disney Channel, anything but Disney Channel, they should be on primetime on ABC