1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

Thoughts on sponsors

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Luke kun, Sep 1, 2014.

1. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

And Hero of Color City looks to be extremely unironic with its Bumble Bee Tuna plugging. They're not even trying to hide it there.

Store brand stuff isn't always low quality. It's the really cheap dollar store brands you've gotta look out for.

2. Luke kun

Luke kun Well-Known Member

Woo-hoo! We've got 4 pages of sponsor debate! :):laugh:
    Anyway, let's go back to what we were originally talking about: sponsor plugs (aka sponsor tags). Yeah...what was your favorite and which ones were creepy?

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I've had things that were at least brand quality. Sometimes slightly better. But Frosted Flakes is something no one but Kelloggs does right. And believe me, I've tried several store brands of that and they all taste awful. That seems to be the one specific thing that they can't get right. it's strange.

4. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Well, when it comes to sponsors I like, it's anything that doesn't pass its sponsorship tag off as a blatant commercial. As in, not Pfizer or Spaghetti-Os.

I once tried some store-brand Wheat Thins, and they were just all right. They weren't as sweet and crispy as the real thing.

Luke kun and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  5. Drtooth

Most of them are a little less hard sell. They still have commercially ones, but nothing that actually tells you to buy a product. I still think shorter sponsor announcements should be required. They take a good minute off the beginning and ending of the show. I do like how the new Chuck E Cheese ads don't feature adults and kids dancing poorly around a flat backdrop like they used to. They actually look like families doing stuff. And no 4 fps framerate Chuckie bouncing around either.

Did I mention that I don't get why everyone's upset with the new Chuck yet?

6. Luke kun

I liked those.

7. Luke kun

Bump...I made a mock-up sponsor plug yesterday.

"Sesame Street is brought to you by..." *clip from the Mega Man episode Bro Bots* Mega Man: Woah! What gives? *his vision goes blurry as a ding sound plays and text shows up on the screen reading "Now, that is a sponsor!"*

And the announcer is Mewtwo, played by Phillip Barlett!

8. Luke kun

Bump. Once, I went to Shop-Rite and saw BumbleBee Tuna, and guess what movie was shown on the package?

And BTW, haven't seen any bad sponsors recently. Also going to Chuck E. Cheese next week.

9. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

I like the Looksmart, America Online, and Pfizer sponsors.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  10. Drtooth

I love how, no matter what the PBS show is, no matter how infrequently new episodes are aired, they always manage to change the sponsor tags at least 3 times a season for these shows.

11. Luke kun

United Healthcare had a bunch of different ones.

12. Drtooth

That's the thing that really gets my goat about these things. Clearly, these companies aren't going to sponsor these shows just for the obvious PR and tax advantages. They want to go as far as advertising as possible without looking like a commercial (unlike the non-kid's programming where the commercials are blatant). So they're going to keep rotating new commercials...oops...""""sponsor tags"""" (with as many sarcastic quotes as possible) to keep interest, even when the shows are in their frequent as heck reruns.

Sigh... I miss when these companies weren't so dang "sure, there's a lot of stuff that's in it for me, but what else is in it for me?" and the sponsor tags were just like 3 or 4 local companies rattled off by an announcer.

Luke kun likes this.
  13. Luke kun

Be glad it's not Free Birds.

14. MikaelaMuppet

Somebody on RetroJunk just uploaded the Sesame Street opening funding credits from Season 30.

The sponsors were Talbots Kids, Toysmart.com, and LookSmart.

15. Drtooth

Hilariously, all things we don't have now.

Ah, the Dot Com boom. Well, Talbot's isn't a Dot Com, more of a failing clothing chain store that really offers nothing you can't get anywhere else cheaper or more accessible. It's still around, but it's been on the brink for years.

Luke kun and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  16. Luke kun

I think THIS is why Ralph Nader didn't want McDonalds to fund SS:

Surprisingly, I think the Donald no Uwasa ads would be good sponsor tags for SS. Then again, Nader would complain. But didn't it get Japanese kids to exercise or something?

17. Drtooth

Yeah. Cute.

But honestly, it's a case of Ralph Nader having his head pretty far up his butt. This season's reality is that the meager sponsors like Party City and Earth's Best weren't cutting it. Makes me wonder if McD's kept funneling money in and still did, would SW still have been so underfunded they'd need the HBO co-production? I said it a hundred times before, the problem shouldn't have been "OOOH! McDonalds is funding our kid's shows!" but rather "our kid' shows need to be funded by McD's." None of those busybody parents bothered upping their contributions to PBS (or, I'll assume bothered to contribute to PBS) when that went down. Time and effort wasted on a first world problem yet again.

I'm wondering if HBO really did fund Sesame Street as much as they say they did that PBS's broadcast will still use funding credits.

Luke kun likes this.
  18. Luke kun

Well HBO's broadcast does not have funding credits. I wonder if PBS will just say that SS is funded by HBO now.

I can see it. "Sesame Street is brought to you today by the letters H, B, and O and the number 21 with a bullet!"

19. MikaelaMuppet

Even the old episodes don't have the sponsors and funding credits?

20. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Well-Known Member

As far as funding credits go, they just show the copyright screen (with a bit of the music), and that's it.