Thread deleting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MWoO

Reaction score
Why do threads in this section just get deletedi nstead of simply close? It's rather annoying. You shouldn't just erase a thread from the board history like that. If mods think threads get out of hand then whatever, close it. But why do you feel the need to delete them?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
MWoO said:
Why do threads in this section just get deletedi nstead of simply close? It's rather annoying. You shouldn't just erase a thread from the board history like that. If mods think threads get out of hand then whatever, close it. But why do you feel the need to delete them?
Because certain people choose to start un-necessary arguments that drives said threads off-topic, and because of that, the threads get deleted, much like my old "Kramer's Racist Remarks" thread.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I will explain, although I would think it unnecessary to question that action as it should be perfectly clear "why" a thread would be deleted. I'm surprised, though, that it would be questioned rather than trusted that the actions of the moderators would be most beneficial to the overall feeling of what Muppet Central is about. Anyhow:

It has always been my purpose as a moderator to keep the feeling of Muppet Central both family-oriented and positive. If something gets too adult, not something that is within what I feel representative of Jim Henson's message, or too negative, I delete it.

Moderating these message boards is hard. Mainly because I'm a fan and want to have fun, not spend the whole time I'm here moderating or delegating or putting out fires. The next reason is because I've got a LOT of people on these boards I like, but I still have to moderate them--and that can be uncomfortable. If I simply closed a thread where that information which is adult or negative can be read again and again, with the possibility of sparking more fires--then, what good has closing it done to stop the problems? None.

Therefore, it is my decision to delete the problems rather than letting the beasts lie, waiting to waken and devour the positive feelings and familial relationships that MC was designed to create.

I'm sure other moderators would have other reasons for doing such things. I leave the floor open for any of them to explain (although, we shouldn't have to).

If there was a thread in particular you feel was deleted and shouldn't have been, feel free to PM me and we can discuss it there.

Thanks,
Kev

MWoO

Reaction score
I feel mods should have to explain themselves when actions are questioned. If no one questions anything mods get drunk with power. Not saying that happend, but if things are done, and no one asks why, things get out of hand. Never been a fan of blind trust of anyone. I mean if the cops came and arressted your brother you would probably ask why and not just say "Well I should trust the cops". Always question authority when you think something is a miss.

I just don't think trying to control people's feelings is right. What will a few negative threads do in a general disscussion section? Sometimes people are negative. It's the human experience. If the negativity turns into out right bickering I see why a thread would be closed, but deleting it just seems like revisionist history. Just pretending something didn't happen doesn't solve anything. I think it wuld be much more benificial to say why the thread is being closed and warn others publicaly of what not to do. If we forget what happend in out past we are doomed to repeat it.

messyplace

Reaction score
What was the problem with the thread anyway?

There was a bit of a debate and a disagreement, yes I was insulted but it seems a bit OTT to just delete it all. Could understand if there was some swearing..or racism in there maybe but I don't remember any of that...D'Snowth has posted in this thread so im more than sure he'll say something along the lines of "cos someone likes starting arguments" still on my ignore list though.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
MWoO said:
I feel mods should have to explain themselves when actions are questioned. If no one questions anything mods get drunk with power. Not saying that happend, but if things are done, and no one asks why, things get out of hand. Never been a fan of blind trust of anyone. I mean if the cops came and arressted your brother you would probably ask why and not just say "Well I should trust the cops". Always question authority when you think something is a miss.

I just don't think trying to control people's feelings is right. What will a few negative threads do in a general disscussion section? Sometimes people are negative. It's the human experience. If the negativity turns into out right bickering I see why a thread would be closed, but deleting it just seems like revisionist history. Just pretending something didn't happen doesn't solve anything. I think it wuld be much more benificial to say why the thread is being closed and warn others publicaly of what not to do. If we forget what happend in out past we are doomed to repeat it.
Um... this is Muppet Central, not "Hear My Voice Oh Jaded and Cynical World!" If a mod wants to close or delete a thread for the perfectly acceptable reason Kevin said, or any reason for that matter, then he has that right. Start your own forum or blog if you feel your oh-so all important message needs to be heard so bad. I mean, you're comparing a thread on a Muppet forum to injustices within the police force. C'mon, man; let it go. No one cares that much about what you said anyway.

messyplace

Reaction score
I don't think MwoO actually said much in the thread...he seemed to be reading it more than anything.

Luke

Reaction score
It seems to me that most of this flaming on the forum seems to come from the "General Discussion" and "Friends And Family" sections, where people seem to have started to use it as a chat room and start threads on anything from "I lost my girlfriend" to "My hamster is teething, can you help?". Yes, it IS meant for general discussion - but general discussion that other users on the forum might be interested in or at least slightly relevant to why people are here (ie - its a Muppet forum, so discussions on other TV shows or movies etc). Some people do just seem to start anything and everything, sometimes on things that clearly don't fit in here at MC (why anybody would start a thread called "Kramers Racist Remarks" here when its a family forum and you could post it at a Seinfeld one is beyond me - and i'm just using that thread as an example). I think people should think a) whether a thread is suitable for the forum, and b) whether other Muppet fans will be interested, BEFORE they post it anywhere on Muppet Central. Above all, we are here for the Muppets, and this kinda thing happening affects the general feel of the forum overall .... yet most of the time it isn't even anything Muppet related thats causing the problem.

messyplace

Reaction score
I think the Kramer one came up as it was big news at the time, I post on a few places and it popped up on all of them.

MWoO

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
Um... this is Muppet Central, not "Hear My Voice Oh Jaded and Cynical World!" If a mod wants to close or delete a thread for the perfectly acceptable reason Kevin said, or any reason for that matter, then he has that right. Start your own forum or blog if you feel your oh-so all important message needs to be heard so bad. I mean, you're comparing a thread on a Muppet forum to injustices within the police force. C'mon, man; let it go. No one cares that much about what you said anyway.
I was just using an analogy of questioning authority.

I'm not saying threads should not be closed. It's a part of a forum. But if they get deleted as if it never happened then how can anyone be expected not to repeat the same mistakes? That's the point here. I never said it was the worlds most important thread, nor did I say that anything I said was all that important. In fact I had very little to do with the thread at all. However, I don't like seeing things get deleted just like that because reading words might make someone feel bad. I don't see why you felt the need to be so defensive either. You're being rather negative by saying no one cared about what I had to say. In fact I would assume you think I said more than I did, which is another reason not to delete threads when they get closed.

I would think that as a member of a forum I have some right to at least question what mods do. Since this thread is here it seems I do and I appreciate that. What I don't get is why you feel no one should question what gets done.

Luke said:
It seems to me that most of this flaming on the forum seems to come from the "General Discussion" and "Friends And Family" sections, where people seem to have started to use it as a chat room and start threads on anything from "I lost my girlfriend" to "My hamster is teething, can you help?". Yes, it IS meant for general discussion - but general discussion that other users on the forum might be interested in or at least slightly relevant to why people are here (ie - its a Muppet forum, so discussions on other TV shows or movies etc). Some people do just seem to start anything and everything, sometimes on things that clearly don't fit in here at MC (why anybody would start a thread called "Kramers Racist Remarks" here when its a family forum and you could post it at a Seinfeld one is beyond me - and i'm just using that thread as an example). I think people should think a) whether a thread is suitable for the forum, and b) whether other Muppet fans will be interested, BEFORE they post it anywhere on Muppet Central. Above all, we are here for the Muppets, and this kinda thing happening affects the general feel of the forum overall .... yet most of the time it isn't even anything Muppet related thats causing the problem.
The Kramer thing was huge news. I would think adults could discuss such things even if they are unpleasant. It's part of life. If the forum doesn't want to have a section for general life topics then fine, but if it is there that's what you are going to get. You take the bad with the good. I don't see how open discussion hurts anyone.

I just don't see the reason to erase a thread from existence. Forcing a happy mood on the forum is silly. You can't make people be happy all the time. You have to accept that some threads will not be sunshine and lollypops.

Status
Not open for further replies.