Thurl Ravenscroft

Xerus

Reaction score
XERUS’S VOICE ARTIST FOCUS:

Today’s V/A focus is the late Thurl Ravenscroft who passed away in 2005. Thurl was famous for his very deep singing voice and did voices and songs for certain Disney movies and theme park attractions. As well as singing for certain Dr. Seuss specials, especially when he sang about the mean old Grinch. But Thurl was most famous for voicing Tony the Tiger with that famous catchphrase, “THEY’RE GRRRREAAAT!" May you rest in peace Mr. Thurl Ravenscroft and have a Merry Christmas.

ADVENTURES IN INNERSPACE: Miracles of Molecules Singer
ALICE IN WONDERLAND: Ace Card Painter
THE ARISTOCATS: Russian Cat
THE BABY HUEY SHOW(1995): General
BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS: Russian Portabello Road Vendor(looped voices)
THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER(MOVIE SERIES): Kirby the Vacuum
THE CBS RADIO WORKSHOP: Ballad Singer
CINDERELLA: Additional voices
DAFFY DUCK IN SUPERIOR DUCK: Narrator
DONALD AND THE WHEEL: Spirit of Progress Sr.
DR. SEUSS’S THE CAT IN THE HAT(ORIGINAL SPECIAL): Thing 1
DR. SEUSS’S THE HOOBER BLOOB HIGHWAY: Singer
DR. SEUSS’S HORTON HEARS A WHO(ORIGINAL SPECIAL): Deep Voiced Wickersham Brother
DR. SEUSS’S HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS(ORIGINAL SPECIAL): You’re a Mean One Mr. Grinch Singer
DR. SEUSS’S THE LORAX: Singer
DUMBO: Singer
FROSTED FLAKES COMMERCIALS: Tony the Tiger(second voice)
GAY PURR-EE: Deep Voiced Black Cat
HAPPY HALLOWISHES: Grim Grinnnig Ghosts Singer
THE HAUNTED MANSION: Grim Grinning Ghosts Singer
THE HOBBIT: Goblin, Singer
LADY AND THE TRAMP: Alligator, Pound Dog Chorus
LITTLE BLABBERMOUSE: Chew Tobacco
MAKE MINE MUSIC: Singer
MARRY POPPINS: Pig, Banker(looped vocals)
NANNY AND THE PROFESSOR AND THE PHANTOM OF THE CIRCUS: Waldo
THE NIFTY NINETIES: Singer
THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS: Soloist
NOAH’S ARK(1959): Shem, Ham, Japeth
101 DALMATIANS: Captain
PAUL BUNYAN: Paul Bunyan, Chorus
PETER PAN: Chorus Singer
THE PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH: Lethargians
PIGS IS PIGS: Singer
PILGRIM PORKY: Singer
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN(DISNEY ATTRACTION): Yo Ho Singer, Drunk on Lamppost, Singing Dog
ROOTY TOOT TOOT: Jonathan Bailey, Honest John the Crook
SLEEPING BEAUTY: Singer
THE SMALL ONE: Potter
SNOOPY COME HOME: No Dogs Allowed Singer
SOUTH PACIFIC: Singing voice of Stewpot
SPLASH MOUNTAIN: Bullfrogs
SPRINGTIME FOR PLUTO: Singer
THE STORY OF ANYBURG USA: Cyrus P. Sliderule
THE SWORD IN THE STONE: Black Bart
WINNIE THE POOH IN THE BLUSTERY DAY: Deep Singing Honeypot
ZORRO(1957 TV SERIES): Them Song Vocals

sesameguy

Reaction score
Thanks, Xerus, for the very cool list! I knew about many of those roles, but I was surprised to realize that he could be heard in "South Pacific" and "Snoopy Come Home!" But I recognized his voice immediately when I remembered those scenes.

David O'neal over at the Disneyland "Extinct Attractions Club" has produced a DVD tribute to Thurl featuring interviews and rare footage. You can buy it from the web site.

http://01508f4.netsolstores.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=99

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I love the work of Mr. Ravenscroft, but I didn't realize he died in 05. I thought he passed long before then.

Xerus

Reaction score
I love the work of Mr. Ravenscroft, but I didn't realize he died in 05. I thought he passed long before then.
There was a behind the scenes special of How the Grinch Stole Christmas back in the 90's. And it had an interview with Thurl himself. He said Dr. Seuss felt bad that he didn't include Thurl's name in the credits so Dr. Seuss wrote a great news article about the great singing performance of Thurl Ravenscroft in his special.

Xerus

Reaction score
Thanks, Xerus, for the very cool list! I knew about many of those roles, but I was surprised to realize that he could be heard in "South Pacific" and "Snoopy Come Home!" But I recognized his voice immediately when I remembered those scenes.

David O'neal over at the Disneyland "Extinct Attractions Club" has produced a DVD tribute to Thurl featuring interviews and rare footage. You can buy it from the web site.

http://01508f4.netsolstores.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=99
Your welcome and thanks for the neat link. :smile:

Yes, Thurl seemed to do a lot of singing voice overs for live action stuff too. And I too loved hearing him in Snoopy Come Home as well as singing for Stew Pot! :smile:

AnimatedC9000

Reaction score
Ah, Thurl Ravenscroft. Not only known for being the man behind Tony the Tiger, bt playing bit parts in other Disney movies as well. (Inluding Paul Bunyan in that one short.) And I loved "You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch". Classic song. Yet hardly anyone of the other carollers seemed to know it...

My favorite performance, however, will just about always will be the voice of Kirby in "The Brave Little Toaster". A character who really cared about his friends, yet he was usually "loud, and grumpy, and oblivious to reality" most of the time. Thurl did a really great job potraying that character.

R.I.P., Thurl Ravenscroft. Your performances have touched many a generation. Happy holidays.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I just love hearing his voice in random places when you least expect it.