Tick-Tock Sick...the book

Convincing John

Reaction score
Hi, everyone!

I'm taking a class right now about children's books. For our final projects, we can write and illustrate a children's book of our own.

For this project, I wondered, just as a piece of fan art, if it would be okay to make a children's book based on Jim's jazz number "Tick-Tock Sick". Naturally, Jim would get credit (first billing) but the book would have the lyrics to "Tick-Tock Sick" and illustrations of Jim with the clocks. I've sketched out some ideas, and theoretically, it looks like it could work.

It would only be a project for class, and a piece of fan art. Uh, would anybody at JHC care if I did this? I would (naturally) do this with great respect for Jim. I want to depict him kind of "cartoony", kind of like the Muppet Jim, but animated, and not quite "Muppety". It would take place in Leland, (although the song doesn't refer to Leland at all, I don't think Jim would mind). :smile:

In some sketches I've drawn, Jim plays a banjo, a bass fiddle, and lives in a little house kind of like the one seen in the "Blue Bayou" number on TMS. I plan to have him wearing his Abe Lincoln hat, but looking more like the Jim with the full beard. In some shots, Jim is wearing a traditional nightcap, robe and slippers when he's (trying) to sleep.

I'm not sure who the owner will be in the clock store, although I've named the store "Leland Clocks" (just for now) and I'm tempted to make the store owner look like the Gilda Radner I just made in statue form. :smile:

Well, I'm going to propose my idea to the professor soon, and the idea might not even fly (she might want me to do something else). But I wondered what you guys would think. I'd just like to pay tribute to the lesser known work of Jim Henson...which I sometimes find more entertaining than his well-known stuff. (I would much rather watch that new Ed Sullivan DVD or Time Piece than most episodes of Muppet Babies).

So do think anyone would mind me making this book for class?

Convincing John

(By the way, I just got the new Ed Sullivan DVD. I LOVE "Business, Business"!)

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I think that sounds like a very cool idea, and I can't see that there would be any objection to doing it on a class project scale. Hope it goes well!
Erin