Tim Burton remaking Willie Wonka

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
The radio reported today that Tim Burton wants to do a remake of the 70's classic Willie Wonka. So far, I have found one website discussing this saying that Marilyn Manson is slotted to be Willie.

I'm very interested in seeing the Burtonesque vision of Willie Wonka, but with Manson in the role??? Yipe! That doesn't work for me.

Certainly a remake won't fill the place in my heart for the original, but what do you all think?

FOZ

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
It wouldnt be as good or like the original but it would be interesting to see what its like, its different, theres so many rubbishy movies these days, it seems the better the technology the worse the story in some movies.

I dont think Marilyn Manson would be good at all. its not even worth considering him for the role, he isnt even an actor and does he look like willy wonka? NO!

Anyone would be better for the part, even Arnold Schwartzeneggar or perhaps danny devito or maybe he would suit playing an oompaloompa better! lol.

:excited: :stick_out_tongue:

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I forgot to add that I think it would be great if they made a stage production (musical) of Willy wonka , there are some great songs and Im sure it would be popular!

What does everyone think?

:smile:

Luke

Reaction score
I think the Manson rumor is false, i've heard about it before. Robin Williams is much more likely for Wonka IMO. Possibly Jim Carrey for Slugworth. Lots of the original cast are still alive so i'd like to see some cameos.

Gonzo

Reaction score
I'm not a red hot Willie Wonka fan, but part of what I love about the original is the shall we say "cheap looking but really just vintage" quality of it. I really don't want to see an "update."

Wonder if it'll be musical or non-musical.

It'll be interesting to see who gets the lead role of Wonka, and if they can pull off Wilder's "menacing without being quite evil" characterization.

Or if they'll just go straight to evil.

:smirk:

Sometimes the Gobo face DOES come in handy!

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I agree with Robin Williams making a good Willie. Wonder who else could be good for playing Tim's "Willie?" What does anyone else think?

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
drspy00 said:
I forgot to add that I think it would be great if they made a stage production (musical) of Willy wonka , there are some great songs and Im sure it would be popular!

What does everyone think?

:smile:
They staged "Willy Wonka" at our playhouse a few years back. I believe it was with the same songs as the movie. I knew a couple dozen girls vying for the role of Veruca Salt!

I think Robin Williams would be terrific. Or maybe Martin Short or Steve Martin, I could see one of them too. I think Haley Joel Osment would make a great Charlie, but he's probably getting to be too old now. And I don't know whether he can sing...
Erin

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Luke said:
Lots of the original cast are still alive so i'd like to see some cameos.
I hope the schoolteacher shows up! I'm not aware of ever having seen him in anything else, but he cracked me up in the original. He was my favorite minor character.
Erin

radionate

Reaction score
Here's the facts about it:

Tim Burton went to meet with the family of Dahl a few weeks ago to discuss remaking the movie. They are in favor of it, as they have never been a fan of the original (nor was Dahl).

No offical announcement had been made by the studio, but expect one soon.

The Manson story is false. 100% false. That has been a rumor going around for years. Manson will not be in the movie, at all.

scarecroe

Reaction score
Christopher Walken is currently Burton's top choice.

Which of course would be brilliant casting.