Tim Burton remaking Willie Wonka

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
While I've been off the boards this morning, I did hear that Christopher Walken is supposed to be slotted for the Willie role. Therefore, I suspect we'll get the naughty-but-nice personality of the not so evil but kinda is Wonka.

scarecroe

Reaction score
By the way, in the interest in turning this thread on-topic for a Muppet forum, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory will be co-produced by Brad Grey who was Bernie Brillstein's partner for many years and heads up Brillstein-Grey Management LLC these days as talent manager and film producer.

Bernie Brillstein was of course Jim Henson's manager, agent and friend for almost his entire career. Anyone interested in reading about portions of Jim's life from Bernie's perspective is urged to read Where Did I Go Right?: You're No One in Hollywood Unless Someone Wants You Dead, which is otherwise a very interesting read.

Brillstein is who is being referenced whenever you hear someone refer to their agent or manager "Bernie" in a Muppet script.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
And you might also want to make sure that Bernie the Agent is different than Bernie as in "Weekend at".

I haven't read that book, but is there very much info in that Brillstein book regarding Henson, what about Dan Aykroyd?

scarecroe

Reaction score
There's a good helping of Henson stories mentioned throughout the book including when they met, how they pitched certain shows, their stint on Saturday Night Live, how they booked guests, merchandising and Bernie's account of when Jim died. Most of it of course is from the business point of view, but having been friends also, Brillstein is able to get a little more personable.

As for Dan Aykroyd, I don't remember all that much, but there may be more than I'm remembering. Certainly less than Henson.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I suppose I'll just have to pick this book up, then! I'm interested on his take of Jim.

FOZ

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
christopher walken would be great. he and burton seem to get along really well since he is cat in a lot of burton movies. that's probably the best idea for the willie wonka role. i can really see walken doing the role.

ryan

radionate

Reaction score
Creepy, but wonderful casting.

I think Walken is way too underated as an actor.

He stills gives me the willies though (no pun intended)

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
i think chris is halarious when he wants to be. he's great when he comes on conan obrien or when he does saturday night live. he seems like a great guy.

ryan

Super Scooter

Reaction score
The way things sound, it seems like the new movie will be based more on the book than the original movie. I've heard it was going to be called Charlier and the Chocolate Factory like the book rather than Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. So, I dunno, maybe Christopher Walken would work out as Willie Wonka. I just know so far, my favorite role of his was as the exterminator in Mouse Hunt.

electricmayhem

Reaction score
I love the original but I'm excited to see what Burton does with it, especially if its closer to the book.

I never would have thought of Christopher Walken for the role but now that I do, that would be really interesting! I think he'd be perfect.

I'd really like to see them do Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator as well, I loved that book.