Time Warner offers $3 billion for MGM

McFraggle

Reaction score
Yeah, I seen something about this today. I really don't know why Disney isn't bidding yet. However, I would rather see somebody like TW wind up with MGM than Sony.

The Storyteller

Reaction score
What would happen if they bought MGM:
Time Warner:MGM's libary of films would be merged with Turners catalog of films(Witch was stoled from MGM in 1986!), and MGM would put out two to five films a year.
SONY:MGM would stay it's own studio, and operate seprate from SONY.
NBC Universal:MGM would stay it's own studio, and operate seprate from Universal.
Walt Disney:big_grin:isney would more than likely explort it's film catalog on it's cable channels. It would probaly produce 2 to 3 films a year.
VIACOM: Operate it as Paramount's sister studio.
COMCAST:Operate the studio as normal, use it's film/television catalog to develop cable channels.

McFraggle

Reaction score
So who would you like to see wind up with MGM?

The Storyteller

Reaction score
I would have to chose between:
Comcast-It would keep it as a major movie studio, and then also add cable channels with it!
TimeWarner-It would be reunited with about 600 for MGM own films that Turner stoled from MGM, classic such as Wizard Of Oz, and Gone With The Wind!
VIACOM-It would make it a powerhouse studio! :smile:

McFraggle

Reaction score
Yeah, I would pick Time Warner (for the reasons you mentioned earlier) or Disney (because it would give them a valuable library).

The Storyteller

Reaction score
Main Reasons media giants want MGM:
1.OVER 4,100 films in it's libary, inculding such movies as Scilence of The Lambs and Legally Blonde.
2.Franchises: It owns the James Bond, Pink Panther, Rocky, RoboCop, and Barbershop franchises.
3.Profit Wise: Almost all of MGM lastest films have made a profit:
Barbershop 2-$65 Million
Walking Tall-$46 Million
Agent Cody Banks 2-$23 Million
Soul Plane-$13 Million(The movie only cost $12.5 Million to make!)
4.Worldwide Brand:In a poll, conducted last year, 75% of Americans reconizes the MGM brand.
5.Cable Interest:MGM owns cable channel interest in 110 countries. It also owns several MGM branded cable/satellite channels in Korea, Isreal, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, and India.(This one is mainly for SONY, witch owns no cable channels.)

McFraggle

Reaction score
Does it own any cable channels in the U.S.?

McFraggle

Reaction score
Thanks, I didn't know of any they owned stateside.