1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Timepiece

Discussion in 'Family Worlds' started by D'Snowth, Jan 11, 2015.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

gavry3, Muppet fan 123 and WalterLinz like this.
  2. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I had thought that JHC put it up on there YouTube feed? I know that you can find Jim's other experimental film the Cube on YouTube as well. I have seen both, and find them interesting in there own right.

3. D'Snowth

They only have a couple of brief excerpts, but not the full film.

Likewise, JHC has only posted excerpts from THE CUBE as well, though the full video keeps popping up from different people from time to time; there's a really poor/fuzzy copy up right now, then there's a clearer posting that has a Pink Floyd album dubbed into the full special in an attempt to beat copyright.

dwayne1115 likes this.
  4. dwayne1115

Out of the two which one do you like the best? I would have to say I like the Cube more then Time piece.

5. D'Snowth

I may lean a little more towards TIME PIECE: it's a lot more visually interesting, and being shot on film, it retains a cleaner, crisper, richer look than THE CUBE, since video tape was still primitive back then.

That, and THE CUBE - as I reviewed on Scarblog sometime back - really makes you feel just as confused and frustrated as the man trapped in the Cube: as much as he wants to get out of the Cube, that's how much you want him to get out of the Cube.

I would like to be able to see all of YOUTH '68 sometime.

WalterLinz and dwayne1115 like this.
  6. dwayne1115

As would I! When reading Jim Henson the bio it helped me understand both Time Piece and the Cube a lot more. I will also agree with you about how Time Piece just looks a lot better then the Cube does as far as film vs. video.
    If you watch Jim's early works and then compare it to some of the things he was trying to do with say Fraggle Rock, and some things on the Jim Henson Hour you can see how aware Jim was of his time and not ever having enough time to do everything he wanted to do.

WalterLinz likes this.
  7. WalterLinz

WalterLinz Well-Known Member

This is so cool!:) I thought both these specials plus Youth '68 sounded very interesting when I read about them in the Jim Henson biography.:)

It's amazing how much time, effort, and creativity Jim had put into this. It really shows how much of a genius he was.;) I sure adore the little sound effects!!

dwayne1115 likes this.
  8. dwayne1115

What's sad is that a lot of people at the time did not fully understand the messages Jim was trying to get across with these films. They where in a way a lot like the first Muppets he built very abstract. Like Kermit not being a frog, but being Kermit the Thing.
    I would love for Lionsgate to do one of two things. One make a movie based on Jim Henson the Bio, or dive deeper into the Henson archives and release Time Piece, The Cube and Youth 68 on DVD.

WalterLinz likes this.
  9. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Lionsgate no longer has the video rights to Jim's work (and that was just the childrens/family titles, not sure if the experimental films were included in that contract).

10. D'Snowth

Jim was really ahead of his time in a lot of ways: as soon as any advances were made in any field of production technology, he was already playing around with it and seeing how he could incorporate it into his work, even up till his death; when you think about it, he was pretty much pioneering a lot of techniques, methods, and practices that are pretty much normal today, even including reality TV... heck, when you think about it, he pretty much predicted YouTube in a sense (imagine the things he could do with YT)!

WalterLinz and dwayne1115 like this.
  11. SpookyMania

SpookyMania Member

Time Piece is a really wonderful short. I bought it from iTunes a few years ago and every now and then I revisit it. There are so many surreal images that I feel like I see something new each time I watch it. It's a great short.

WalterLinz likes this.
  12. D'Snowth

I know this is regarded as Jim's first project that excluded puppets, to prove to people he could do more than just the Muppets...

But, when I think about it . . . wouldn't the dancing chicken and skeleton count as puppets?

WalterLinz likes this.
  13. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member