Tiny Toons How I Spent my Summer Vacation

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be great if this came with bonus episodes of the show (preferably ones still waiting for release)?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I remember this! I may just pick this up when it comes out!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be great if this came with bonus episodes of the show (preferably ones still waiting for release)?
Probably won't. The DVD release of Tweety's High Flying Adventures didn't. Hey there, It's Yogi Bear didn't. The Man Called Flintstone didn't. I don't see why throwing 30 minutes extra worth of cartoon is so much of a pain for them to have to add.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Tiny Toons! I remeber watching that on T.V! I forgot that even existed..... (Wait?... Steven Spielberg made this?)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yep. And Animaniacs, and Freakazoid!. There's also the misconception that he also did Histeria... there's a LOT of similarities, but he wasn't involved with that one apparently.
"He did" is basically he gave money and his production company to make these shows. he DID choose what segments were going to be in Animaniacs though, and he shaped the programs... creation, not so much. There was some input on the part of Spielberg on Tiny Toons... it gets tricky, so I'll just post a quote from wikipedia...

According to writer Paul Dini, Tiny Toons originated as an idea by Terry Semel, then the president of Warner Bros., who wanted to "[…] inject new life into the Warner Bros. Animation department," and at the same time create a series with junior versions of Looney Tunes characters. Semel proposed that the new series would be a show based on Looney Tunes where the characters were either young versions of the original Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies characters or new characters as the offsprings of the original characters.[8] The idea of a series with the basis of younger versions of famous characters was common at the time; the era in which Tiny Toons was produced had such cartoons as Muppet Babies, A Pup Named Scooby-Doo, Tom & Jerry Kids and The Flintstones Kids. Warner Bros. chose to do the same because Spielberg wanted to make a series similar to Looney Tunes, as series producer/show-runner Tom Ruegger explained: "Well, I think in Warner Bros. case, they had the opportunity to work with Steven Spielberg on a project (...) But he didn't want to just work on characters that Chuck Jones, Friz Freleng, Bob McKimson and Bob Clampett made famous and created. He wanted to be involved with the creation of some new characters." The result was a series similar to Looney Tunes without the use of the same characters.[8]
In 1987,[7] the Warner Bros. Animation studio approached Steven Spielberg to collaborate with Semel and Warner Bros. head of licensing Dan Romanelli on Semel's ideas.[8] They eventually decided that the new characters would be similar to the Looney Tunes characters with no direct relation. However, Tiny Toons did not go into production then, nor was it even planned to be made for television; the series initially was to be a theatrical feature-length film.[7][8]
In December 1988, Tiny Toons was changed from a film to a television series, with Jean MacCurdy overseeing production of the first 65 episodes.[8] MacCurdy said that Tiny Toons was changed to a television series to "(...) reach a broader audience".[7] For the series, MacCurdy hired Tom Ruegger, who previously wrote cartoons for Filmation and Hanna-Barbera, to be a producer.[8] In January 1989, Ruegger and writer Wayne Kaatz began developing the characters and the setting of "Acme Acres" with Spielberg.
In January 1989, Warner Bros. Animation was choosing its voice actors from over 1,200 auditions and putting together its 100-person production staff.In April 1989, full production of series episodes began with five overseas animation houses and a total budget of 25 million dollars.The first 65 episodes of the series aired in syndication on 135 stations, beginning in September 1990. During that time, Tiny Toons was a huge success and got higher ratings than its Disney Afternoon competitors in some affiliates. After a successful run in syndication, Fox got the rights for season 2 and 3. Production of the series halted in late-1992 to make way for Animaniacs to air the following year.
But most of everything was created by writers.

The Histeria misconception basically comes from the fact that same writers who really created all those other Spielberg based cartoons created that series as well. Even used some of the same kids of those writers to voice some of the kid characters.

There is one other Spielberg show... the only one ever done under Dreamworks.... Toonsylvania. Of course, the segments were also created by other people... just not the same people under Warner Bros. Bill Kopp (Half the creation team of Eek the Cat) and Mike Peters (cartoonist that created Mother Goose and Grimm). Both on separate segments (Peters only created the Night of the Living Fred segment).

You know, I don't recall this movie :embarrassed:
It was just released to video, and then cut up into like, a week's worth of episodes. If you recall an episode where Buster and Babs are in the deep swamps of Louisiana and they had that bigamy joke... that's part of the movie. I've never seen it in movie form, myself. Just the 5 part episode.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
"He did" is basically he gave money and his production company to make these shows.
Well, actually, just about everything that has his name on it is how he did that, lol... heck, I even read an article somewhere about the different usage of the title "Executive Producer", and how in some cases, that title is simply given to someone who may not have even financed, let alone, been involved with the project itself, but may have offered some form of input, and yes, Spielberg was used as an example.
I've never seen it in movie form, myself. Just the 5 part episode.
I'm pretty sure Nick aired it in movie form on rare occasions, like IIRC, maybe the summer of 1999 for example... I'm pretty sure they did that, otherwise, I'd probably be like Sarge and not be aware it was a movie at all.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I even read an article somewhere about the different usage of the title "Executive Producer", and how in some cases, that title is simply given to someone who may not have even financed, let alone, been involved with the project itself, but may have offered some form of input, and yes, Spielberg was used as an example.
I've read in Hulk Hogan's autobiography that he got the executive producer credit in Suburban Commando but in that case it only meant he got an extra paycheck, while years later when he was executive producer of Thunder in Paradise it was more than just a title.