TMS Commercial Bumpers

David French

Reaction score
Does anyone know if commercial bumpers were shown during the original run in the UK? I've seen commercial bumpers for two other ITC series - The Saint and The Prisoner - and these have usually consisted of an appropriate bit of animation (the Saint logo and the Penny Farthing seen in the Prisoner end credits) with a piece of music playing over the animation.

I reckon I've seen one for the UK version of the Mummenschanz ep. The bumper was a shot of the flat from the opening theme with a bit of music playing over while (I think) the "audience" clapped.

Anyone know of any others?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Six of them appeared as special features on The Mupet Show: Season One DVD set.

David French

Reaction score
Six of them appeared as special features on The Mupet Show: Season One DVD set.
No, those were the special "trailers" that were recorded for each episode. I'm talking about ad caps that appeared before (and possibly after) the commercials.

muppetperson

Reaction score
I wouldnt take too much notice of ad caps because Television stations can create their own ad caps so they can put commercial breaks in where ever they like.I know of shows that get altered to fit into alercated space.Some shows(like Sesame Street and The Bold & The Beautiful) have 2 versions of their opening and closing footage, a short and a longer version.I have seen that these get changed by the Station from what it was suspose to be.One program may have been made with longer closing credits, but because they might want to fit another break in, they will edit in a short credit.How do I know? Because I am one of the few that actually read them and see by guest appearances that it is not the ending for that show! Stations also cut scenes out of the show itself for the same reason.Anyway, a Muppet ad cap that I can recall, was a graphic of Kermit inside the "o" and a short piece of instrumental music, which is the same as when Statler and Waldorf sing "Why do we always come here, I guess we will never know", but without the words.

David French

Reaction score
That's all true, but I'm interested in finding out whether there were specially made ones for the UK airings. Other ITC produced shows had them, and my hypothesis is that TMS did have some.

muppetperson

Reaction score
Good old Channel 0.That is the station in my area.Now Channel 10.Anyway, what David is looking for is not commercials for the show, but what is in the show itself so that you know an ad is coming on.This is an ad cap.For instance, the ad cap for "Ugly Betty" would be when you see the various mix and match faces till Ugly Betty is formed, set to music.