TMS outline- Paul Lynde!

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
For those of you who don't recall, Paul Lynde was the center square on the original Hollywood Squares, and appeared in such films as "Bye Bye Birdie" (as Ann-Margret's disapproving father) and put in guest appearances on "The Munsters" (as the family doctor), "Bewitched" (as the mischevious Uncle Arthur) and "I Dream of Jeannie" (various roles). He was noted for his snappy one-liners and distinctive grin and voice/delivery, a favorite of impersonators.

SPECIAL GUEST STAR: PAUL LYNDE

STYLE: EARLY/MID SECOND SEASON

COLD OPENING: Big Mama is in Paul’s dressing room.

Paul: “Scooter, I have a bit of a problem. This humongous dog followed me home. That’s the ugliest collie I’ve ever seen!”

Scooter: “That’s no collie, that’s Big Mama!”

Paul: “That’s good, ‘cause she’s got a face only a mother could love!” (Big Mama GROWLS and BITES him) “Uh, but she has a very charming personality!... HELP!”

OPENING THEME
S & W: W: “Let’s make a break for it!”
Gonzo: Someone unseen plays a trombone and loops the slide over Gonzo’s neck, then spins around. Gonzo goes back out of the ‘O’ and Miss Kitty (the purple monster) wheels into it.

SONG: “Can’t Help Lovin’ That Man of Mine”- Piggy sings in a riverboat set (while Kermit watches uncomfortably in the wings)

Statler: “I have to run to the bathroom.”

Waldorf: “All right Statler, but if you’re not back in five minutes I’m sending out the hounds!” (Animal pops up in the box)

Animal: “Woof woof! Woof woof!”

Backstage: Paul has been coaching Fozzie on snappy comebacks and one-liners, but it’s not working so well.

Kermit: “Fozzie, I think you should stick to doing what you do best.”

Fozzie: “What’s that?”

Kermit: “Nothing.”

Fozzie: “...Oh, that was a good one! Frog!”

SKETCH: Paul plays a dentist, Dr. Barney Cooper, with Behemoth (the big yellow monster from “I’ve Got You Under My Skin”) as his patient, Mr. Winfield

Waldorf: “Boy, that Paul Lynde is hilarious, isn’t he Statler? Oh I forgot, he isn’t here. My memory is going in my old age... right, Statler? Oh...”

Floyd plays a vibe solo, a fast jazz tune

The Swedish Chef- taffy pull

Backstage: Fozzie’s one-liners are falling flat with the other Muppets (Floyd, Janice, Gloat).

Vet’s Hospital- Dr. Bob operates on a potted plant

UK Spot: “I Got Plenty of Nothin‘”- Rowlf plays and sings

Dressing Room: Kermit talks to Paul about his coaching of Fozzie

At the Dance- SONG: “Shall We Dance?”- Scooter sings and tries to get a girl to dance with him

Waldorf: “Boy, Statler sure has been gone a long time... I wonder if he fell in.” (Animal enters) “Oh, any luck?”

Animal: “YEAAAHH!!”

Animal has caught a chorus girl. She flees.

Waldorf: “No, no, no! You were supposed to go find Statler!”

Animal: “WHA?”

Waldorf: “The old geezer! Get him! GET THE OLD MAN!”

Animal attacks Waldorf.

SONG: “Waltz of the Flowers”- Nigel conducts in the orchestra pit, with the unwelcome assistance of Marvin Suggs and his Muppaphones

Backstage: Fozzie is discouraged, so Paul tells him that in his own case it took a lot of writers and years of practice to rattle off one-liners like he does, and that eventually he’ll be able to do it too. Fozzie is relieved, and after he leaves, Kermit congratulates Paul on his convincing.

CLOSING NUMBER: “Up, Up and Away”- Paul leads a band of Muppet paratroopers (including Fozzie, Gonzo, Scooter, Luncheon Counter Monster and Crazy Harry) in a WWII airplane, accompanied by the Electric Mayhem, with Thog dancing. While Thog dances, he accidentally nudges everyone out the door, including Paul, who has no parachute.

Curtain: Paul, Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, Scooter, Floyd

Statler rushes in

Waldorf: “Well, where have you been?”

Statler: “I spent the evening at the disco! I just forgot my wallet.”

Waldorf: “That’s too bad, you missed a terrific show!”

Statler: “What?! Ohhhhh!” (bangs head on the seat) “I don’t believe it!”

Waldorf (getting up, leaving): “Fooled you!”

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

radionate

Reaction score
What a great job. I only wish he had been a guest on the show. He's one of my favorite old school TV personalities. And what a hoot he was too!

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Yeah. That was good.

I remember Paul Lynde best as the voice of Templeton the rat in the animated "Charolette's Web." That's about it though. He died in 1982.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Anybody else have any comments? Favorite parts? Suggestions for improvement?

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Side note- think of this one as circa-Teresa Brewer & Edgar Bergen episodes.

I like working with the second season best. There were so many good episodes, moments, and guest stars and to me this season really defined the classic style of the show (though I can't put my finger on exactly why). Most of the ones I'm working on now are second season style- Groucho Marx, Jack Gilford, Gene Wilder, Red Skelton, and Steve Allen for starters.

So, any more comments on this one?

I think personally this is one of the best ones I've done so far, and certainly one of the most inspired (though lately I've been motivated mostly by the thought of finishing the darn things since they were so close to completion and stayed that way for a while.)

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
I just updated the outline. Here it is with some minor additions:

SPECIAL GUEST STAR: PAUL LYNDE

STYLE: EARLY/MID SECOND SEASON (circa Teresa Brewer episode)

COLD OPENING: Big Mama is in Paul’s dressing room.

Paul: “Scooter, I have a bit of a problem. This humongous dog followed me home. That’s the ugliest collie I’ve ever seen!”

Scooter: “That’s no collie, that’s Big Mama!”

Paul: “That’s good, ‘cause she’s got a face only a mother could love!” (Big Mama GROWLS and BITES him) “Uh, but she has a very charming personality!... HELP!”

OPENING THEME
S & W: W: “Let’s make a break for it!”
Gonzo: Someone unseen plays a trombone and loops the slide over Gonzo’s neck, then spins around. Gonzo goes back out of the ‘O’ and Miss Kitty (the purple monster) wheels into it.

SONG: “Can’t Help Lovin’ That Man of Mine”- Piggy sings in a riverboat set (while Kermit watches uncomfortably in the wings)

Statler: “I have to run to the bathroom.”

Waldorf: “All right Statler, but if you’re not back in five minutes I’m sending out the hounds!” (Animal pops up in the box)

Animal: “Woof woof! Woof woof!”

Backstage: Paul has been coaching Fozzie on snappy comebacks and one-liners, but it’s not working so well.

Kermit: “Fozzie, I think you should stick to doing what you do best.”

Fozzie: “What’s that?”

Kermit: “Nothing.”

Fozzie: “...Oh, that was a good one! Frog!”

SKETCH: Paul plays a dentist, Dr. Barney Cooper, with Behemoth (the big yellow monster from “I’ve Got You Under My Skin”) as his patient, Mr. Winfield

Waldorf: “Boy, that Paul Lynde is hilarious, isn’t he Statler? Oh I forgot, he isn’t here. My memory is going in my old age... right, Statler? Oh...”

SONG: Floyd plays a vibe solo, a fast jazz tune, tiring himself out

The Swedish Chef- taffy pull; he ends up flinging himself into the orchestra pit and the audience laughs

Backstage: Fozzie’s one-liners are falling flat with the other Muppets (Floyd, Janice, and Gloat).

Vet’s Hospital- Dr. Bob operates on a potted plant

UK Spot: “I Got Plenty of Nothin‘”- Rowlf plays and sings

Dressing Room: Kermit talks to Paul about his coaching of Fozzie

At the Dance- SONG: “Shall We Dance?”- Scooter sings and tries to get a girl to dance with him

Waldorf: “Boy, Statler sure has been in the bathroom a long time... I wonder if he fell in.” (Animal enters) “Oh, any luck?”

Animal: “YEAAAHH!!”

Animal has caught a chorus girl. She flees.

Waldorf: “No, no, no! You were supposed to go find Statler!”

Animal: “WHA?”

Waldorf: “The old geezer! Get him! GET THE OLD MAN!”

Animal attacks Waldorf.

SONG: “Waltz of the Flowers”- Nigel conducts in the orchestra pit, with the unwelcome assistance of Marvin Suggs and his Muppaphones

Backstage: Fozzie is discouraged, so Paul tells him that in his own case it took a lot of writers and years of practice to rattle off one-liners like he does, and that eventually he’ll be able to do it too. Fozzie is relieved, and after he leaves, Kermit congratulates Paul on his convincing.

CLOSING NUMBER: “Up, Up and Away”- Paul leads a band of Muppet paratroopers (including Fozzie, Gonzo, Scooter, Crazy Harry and Luncheon Counter Monster) in a WWII airplane, accompanied by the Electric Mayhem, with Thog dancing. While Thog dances, he accidentally nudges everyone out the door, including Paul, who has no parachute.

Curtain: Paul, Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, Scooter, Floyd

Statler rushes in

Waldorf: “Well, where have you been?”

Statler: “I spent the evening at the disco! I just forgot my wallet.”

Waldorf: “That’s too bad, you missed a terrific show!”

Statler: “What?! Ohhhhh!” (bangs head on the seat) “I don’t believe it!”

Waldorf (getting up, leaving): “Fooled you!”

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Dave,

You should make a site and post them all on there !

This one is great, I can actually see it all happening as im reading it... Even tho i dont know who the Guest was... but that never stopped watching the show before !

:big_grin:

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
next outline (upcoming)

Coming soon- The Muppet Show with special guest star Jack Gilford!

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Warrick said:
This one is great, I can actually see it all happening as im reading it... Even tho i dont know who the Guest was... but that never stopped watching the show before !
Perhaps a few pictures would help:

http://www.buckscountyplayhouse.com/playhouse/Celeb Pages/lynde.gif

http://www.findadeath.com/Deceased/m/Elizabeth Montgomery/Paul Lynde portrait.JPG

http://web2.iadfw.net/willdogs/pics/Paul Lynde2.jpg

http://members.aol.com/GeneTracy2/LYNDE.JPG

http://www.born-today.com/Today/pix/lynde_paul.jpg

An excellent mini-biography: www.harpiesbizarre.com/beography-lynde.htm

And some comebacks of his (and others) from the original "Hollywood Squares": http://webpages.charter.net/emilb/hw_squares.html

That should hold you for a while.