TMS Outline starring Joni Mitchell

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
SPECIAL GUEST STAR: JONI MITCHELL

COLD OPENING: Pops greets Joni at the backstage door. Unfortunately Pops has her confused with somebody else - Jodi Mitchum, the girl who is supposed to deliver his pizza in 30 minutes or less.

OPENING THEME

OPENING NUMBER: Skeeter* and Clifford perform "I'll Cover You" from RENT. (*in this outline Skeeter is the same age as Scooter, and she and Clifford are something of an item (don't ask))

WALDORF: You can cover me anytime, Statler.

STATLER: I can?

WALDORF: Yeah...as long as it's not with a sheet!

BOTH: DOHHHH, HO HO HO...

BACKSTAGE: Kermit stops and talks with Joni before she heads out onstage to perform her first number. After she's left there's a knock on the backstage door. Kermit opens it to find the Wild Impresario (from the Ghost of Faffner Hall), who explains that he heard Joni was at the theatre, and since they used to date and all he had to come see her again. The frog tells Wild that Joni's getting ready to play onstage, and suggests he go down to the canteen for a cup of coffee while he's waiting for her to finish.

GUEST STAR: Joni Mitchell performs "For Free," accompanied by Rowlf on piano and Nigel on clarinet.

Statler: Free? Isn't that how much tickets for this show are?

Waldorf: Well, you get what you pay for.

BACKSTAGE/CANTEEN: As Joni comes offstage Kermit tells her that someone is there to see her, but the Impresario is no where to be found. Meanwhile Wild is in a bit of an argument with Gladys, who used to be his dorm mother in college before he ran off with the Wild Bunch. The Swedish Chef gets involved after Wild makes a remark about the quality of the food. The scene ends with Wild running for his life out of the Canteen with the Chef in pursuit.

MUPPET NEWSFLASH: The Newsman reports on the stock prices on a coconut company falling at a rapid rate...and he is immediately pummeled by dropping coconuts.

DRESSING ROOM/SONG: Janice pokes her head into Joni's dressing room to compliment the singer on her performance so far in the show. Joni thanks her and asks Janice if she's played any other venues aside from the Muppet Show, and the flower-child tells her about the time she visited Woodstock. Janice then joins Joni on "Woodstock" before Scooter comes in looking for her for the Vet's Hospital sketch.

VET'S HOSPITAL: The patient du jour turns out to be Robin...and Dr. Bob discovers its not wise to make short jokes about a patient when his 9-foot tall best friend is in earshot.

UK SPOT: Lou and the Jugband sing "Smackwater Jack."

BACKSTAGE: Kermit tries to find the Wild Impresario, who is wandering around distracted by the various musical things going on around backstage (and still trying to escape the Chef). And whenever Kermit finds Wild, Joni up and disappears. This makes for one frustrated frog.

MUPPET LABS: The latest project to come out of Muppet Labs is an iron that will save time by ironing your clothes while you are still wearing them. Bunsen demonstrates on Beaker's very-wrinkled lab coat - which Beaker is still wearing. Bunsen apparently uses too much starch, as both Beaker and his shirt turn stiff as a board.

Statler: Will ya look at that! He's stiff as a board!

Waldorf: That's what your second wife wishes YOU were, you old fool!

BACKSTAGE: Kermit tries to get Joni to stay in one place while he tries to find the Wild Imp, but the two old friends manage to spot each other before Kermit can say anything. Joni and Wild greet each other warmly, and Wild starts to catch up when Kermit tells her that she has to get onstage for the final number. Joni asks Wild if he wants to do the song with her, since it's "their" song; he accepts.

CLOSING NUMBER: Joni and the Wild Impresario duet on "Night Ride Home."

CLOSING THEME

Waldorf: Have you taken stands on both sides now?

Statler: Yep, both sides think this show is lousy!

Both: DOHH, HO HO HO HO...

-Kim

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Phillip Chapman said:
Nice outline. Did you know Joni Mitchell was on "The Ghost of Faffner Hall" in 1989. You can hear the appearance on Muppet Central Radio.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/radio/index.shtml
Thanks! Yeah, I knew that. That's what inspired me to have her as the guest star and to bring Wild into it in the first place. That and after finding and listening to a few more of Joni's songs, she's becoming one of my favorite artists.

-Kim

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
That was really good. I especially liked the return of Skeeter.