TMS Series Finale

GPrime1

Reaction score
Just a quick question: who was the guest star on the final episode of the series, and did they do anything special during the episode to indicate that it was the last one?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

According to the kermitage site, it was the Gene Kelly episode, which is why they used the "end of the world" plot. But then someone mentioned that that episode was scheduled for the beginning of the season, so I'm really not sure.

anathema

Reaction score
The Gene Kelly show got production code #97, which makes it the first of the fifth season codes. However, this doesn't necessarily have any relation to when it was a) recorded, and b) aired ;-)

The last production code went to Roger Moore, but IIRC it was one of the first fifth season eps to get taped...

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
in the gene kelly episode, it looked as if the writers designed the show to be the end of the muppet show series with gene kelly singing "i'm singing in the rain", and then walking off. actually it was a really good episode, and a good ending to the muppet show series. they even used rowlf at the end to pretty much tie up the series by him talking and playing "i'm singing in the rain."

ryan

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Gene Kelly was the last one taped. Roger Moore's was the eigth one taped in the season.

Also in the Gene Kelly episode, the crew of Pigs in Space reached the End of the Universe, at which point they are given the meaning and purpose of life (which they miss in favor of dinner- swill stroganof). The Announcer, however, hears it. And while I'm on the subject, another 'last episode' unique quality is that we actually see the announcer! He falls down in Vet's Hospital (as per Beauregard's belief that before the world ends, "there'll be a sign. Something will happen here that's never happened before!") and later Pigs in Space.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

GPrime1

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. So it looks like the Gene Kelly ep is the official/unofficial final episode, and I totally agree, a nice touch at the end to send off the series.

WiGgY

Reaction score
If that is the final episode then it was a great final episode. Now the whole end of the world thing is even funnier. It would have been nice to have the camera pull back and see all the performers like they did once on the JHH though.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Originally posted by WiGgY
If that is the final episode then it was a great final episode. Now the whole end of the world thing is even funnier. It would have been nice to have the camera pull back and see all the performers like they did once on the JHH though.
that would have been cool...although some of the characters would have been performed by extra people so i don't know how that would have worked out..

ryan

WiGgY

Reaction score
Well they could have just had the performers using their main characters. Like Jim would be doing Kermit, Richard Scooter, Dave Gonzo, Steve Rizzo, Jerry Floyd, and Frank could have done either Piggy or Fozzie. I really liked it when I saw it on JHH. I don't remember much of it though. I think it was on Nickolodean a long time ago. I remeber the camera pulling back and all the muppets went nuts lol. Steve did Bean not Rizzo though. Then they just went back to the regular shot and Gonzo jumped up and down and the ground was solid. :big_grin:

Man, from what I remeber the JHH was a great show.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

I don't know. I imagine that they didn't want to make the final episode too dramatic or anything. I've seen that sometimes when they have the final episode of a sitcom, they have a curtain call and say who played which character. That would work for the Muppets, except that when a sitcom ends the actors usually stop playing that character. But after the Muppet Show, there were still many Muppet appearances which is probably why they didn't do a curtain call after TMS was cancelled. I guess they didn't want to say goodbye to the Muppets even though the show was over. Just my thoughts on this. I'd really like to have seen the Jim Henson Hour with the Muppateers performing their characters. I don't remember ever seeing that episode.