To build? Or not to build? That is the question.

Robin

Reaction score
Gonzo

I appreciate how much info I'm getting. I'm not a puppet maker.
I'm a performer and a painter. (I think it would be fun to take a crack at it though)
I have a lot of foam. No tools. What tools would I need? How much would it cost
to pay some one just to sculpt the head for me? or make just the Gonzo head minus the
"movable eye lids"?

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Hmmm. Tools. Pair of scissors. Pair of rounded off scissors (no idea where to get them). Pair of medical scissors (they're really sharp and precise). You can buy those (minus the one) in Jo-ann's frabics and such. You might want a specific type of sander. Not sure what it's called.

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
This thread REALLY interests me. I was wondering if any of you more experienced builders could fill me in on something about the eyelid mechanism; I've tried making one before in a live-hands puppet -- it was on a string that went all the way from the head to the bottom of his body and I can never use it because I don't have a third hand, obviously (*this is not to discriminate against any of you who may have three hands*). Now, I was thinking that if I were to attach the string to my finger in the mouth of the puppet, I could possibly pull it from in there; but then again he wouldn't be able to lip sync right while I was using it, would he?

Is it generally a bad idea to use such a mechanism in a live-hands puppet? Is there a better way to go about it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

--"Scary" Larry Wolf

Thijs

Reaction score
Hey Larry! That Larry puppet looks great!

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Actually, that might just work. If you'd notice, Gonzo never actualy uses the blinking mechanism while he's talking. His eyelids open wide before he starts to talk and they can close afterward.

Er, try making a mechanism inside the mouth that will latch while open, and then you can undo the latch wile performing. It might work. Hopefully, you understand what I mean!:big_grin: I get confusing.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Oooh! Something about the eyes! After you've made the foam head, bring it with you to any store you go to, because, ping-pong balls are not the right size eyes for Gonzo. Try looking for anything big and round that would fit and look right. If you can't find any, go online and look for sites that sell large eyeballs. If not, go to a local library and see if they have the book The Muppets Big Book of Crafts. In there, they show how to make Wayne and Wanda figner puppets with latex heads. You could use the mold technique to get the right size eyes. Use some modeling clay or something like that for in the mold and then when it's done, paint it with glossy white paint.

With the Scooter puppet I want to do, I'm going to cut a ping-pong ball in half (if the right size) and look around for a pair of frames that look like his. If I can't find it, I'll just a pair in the way mentioned here.

Hope that helps you!

Scoot

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
I have a pofessional puppet made by Terry Angus that I won the bid of off ebay;-) He's one of the coolest things I own! It's not a real Muppet character, but it's still cool!

Hey Robin not sure what area your in, but I'm in the Buffalo area too!

Zack,

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Zack the Dog said:
I have a pofessional puppet made by Terry Angus that I won the bid of off ebay;-)
Which one did you win Zack? I didn't realize you had an Angus puppet. Very cool.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Phillip Chapman said:
Which one did you win Zack? I didn't realize you had an Angus puppet. Very cool.
LOL! Hi Phil! It was Sabastien the Frog, he's blue with wrinkles and a maroon shirt and blue scarf. When I saw him i was like "i had to have him!" he was the muppetist puppet I have ever seen of Terry's. I paid a pretty penny for him, but he was worth it! I pretent he's Kermit's older cousin and I can't wait to use him in a college presentation! I won him last Januray BTW.

Zack,