Today's letters...

Walker Boh

Reaction score
OK, fans, help me settle a debate. :smile:

I remember that Sesame Street used to end with two letters of the day and one number. (e.g., "Sesame Street was brought to you today by the letters C and R, and by the number 4"). My girlfriend remembers that it's always been just one letter and one number. Who's remembering it correctly?

Thanks!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, it's kinda weird, but you both were only warm...

Sesame Street started out using THREE letters and TWO numbers. Somewhere down the line, one of the reasearchers must have thought that would have been too much (I'm guessing) for kid's to remember.

In the 70's or so, they whiddled it down to 2 letters and one number.

Because of Elmo's WOrld, and the new format of the show, they now use one letter, and one number. Not only that, but sometimes they use one letter clip and one number clip.

Hope this clears up confusion

By the way.. what Oscar the Grouch doll are you using a picture of in you're current avatar? It looks pretty weird, kinda old. WHen I first saw it on the Palisades board I thought it was a Ninja Turtle doll, then I saw the words Oscar the Grouch on his shirt! Cool pic, though!

Walker Boh

Reaction score
Thank you! It's nice to know I'm not crazy for remembering the two letters and one number format! :stick_out_tongue:

I'll post a bigger photo of the Oscar doll along with all the info I have over on the Palisades board (Other Topics section) so I can upload the image. :smile:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Yeah. I remember they used the two letters and one number when I watched the show and that was in the 80s. About that Oscar pic, I used to have one like that. (A stuffed Oscar, I mean.)

Walker Boh

Reaction score
Re: Reply

Originally posted by Walker Boh
I'll post a bigger photo of the Oscar doll along with all the info I have over on the Palisades board (Other Topics section) so I can upload the image. :smile:
Here's the link.

Originally posted by Daffyfan2002
Yeah. I remember they used the two letters and one number when I watched the show and that was in the 80s. About that Oscar pic, I used to have one like that. (A stuffed Oscar, I mean.)
That sounds about right. I was born in '78, so the episodes I remember from growing up were in the early to mid 80's.

nickcoffee12

Reaction score
letter and number

i want sesame street to show 2 letters and one nuber of the day like always and no more of the count number of the day and cookie moster letter of the day

salemfan

Reaction score
In the beginning, it used to be three letters and two numbers. Then it became 2 letters and one number, now it's one number and one letter.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Whoa. Old thread. Scared me.

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
Actually I think first it was 3 letters and 2 numbers, then it was one letter and one number, then it was 2 letters and one number, then in 1995 it was one letter and one number again

ssetta

Reaction score
For some reason, it appears that in the early years, the premiere episodes only had one letter and one number, but the rest had two letters and one number.