Todays Music

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
I thought I was the only one who showed my dislike for modern "music".
I am pleased to know that I am not alone. XD

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Well, I'll listen to anything once. But the bulk of my music taste stretches from the mid-1950s to the early-1990s. Say from Bill Haley, Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent and Elvis to Nirvana. Rockabilly, Rock & Roll, Surf, Folk, Psychedelic, Acid, Country (the greats, including Merle Haggard, George Jones and Buck Owens), early heavy stuff, such as Zeppelin and Alice Cooper, singer-songwriters from the 1970s (Jim Croce, Harry Chapin, etc.), punk (esp. the Ramones, the Clash and X) and some New Wave stuff. After that, it's hit or miss for me.

Among contemporary artists (even though some of these groups have been around for more than 20 years, they're still releasing albums) I like are REM, They Might Be Giants, Wilco, Primus, Rufus Wainwright, Norah Jones, Sheryl Crow, Beck, the White Stripes and Plain White T's.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I gotta say, I really hate Fallout Boy. I hate any stupid band that thinks it's "cool" to name yourself after an obscure Simpsons character. Yeah, it would have been cool if they did that like 10 years ago. Now, you're just using factory cool.

I miss the days when Fallout boy was just Radioactiveman's sidekick.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, I'll listen to anything once. But the bulk of my music taste stretches from the mid-1950s to the early-1990s. Say from Bill Haley, Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent and Elvis to Nirvana. Rockabilly, Rock & Roll, Surf, Folk, Psychedelic, Acid, Country (the greats, including Merle Haggard, George Jones and Buck Owens), early heavy stuff, such as Zeppelin and Alice Cooper, singer-songwriters from the 1970s (Jim Croce, Harry Chapin, etc.), punk (esp. the Ramones, the Clash and X) and some New Wave stuff. After that, it's hit or miss for me.

Among contemporary artists (even though some of these groups have been around for more than 20 years, they're still releasing albums) I like are REM, They Might Be Giants, Wilco, Primus, Rufus Wainwright, Norah Jones, Sheryl Crow, Beck, the White Stripes and Plain White T's.
Dude, you rock!

sesameguy

Reaction score
I have a friend in his 20s who prefers the music of Jimi Hendrix and the Beatles to today’s music. He feels that "his generation" has not had much very good music. I think that’s a significant comment when you consider that he‘s just about the age that many people are trying to "market" their music to. I can remember watching the charts to see what the top selling singles were. I wonder if teens today even care about what the number one single is. I wonder if they know what a "single" is!

While I don’t think EVERY single new song is bad, neither do I think that there’s enough good material out there to keep me buying a lot of Cds. There are talented artists/groups out there, but they do seem to be harder to find.

================================================

It’s hard to believe that it’s been about a year since Tower Records closed its doors. I think lack of good “pop” music was at least a small part of the reason. You can read about it in my blog post here:

http://heroshaven.blogspot.com/2006/12/farewell-tower-records.html

The music CD turned 25 years old this year. Here’s my post about that:

http://heroshaven.blogspot.com/2007/08/25-years-of-cds.html

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
All I know is, if I was alive in the 1960s, I would be constantly broke, buying albums left and right! I could see myself waiting for new releases by the Beatles, the Stones, the Byrds, Cream, Dylan, the Doors, etc. Not to mention 45s (some artists, such as the Kinks and the Beatles would release songs only as 45 singles, not intended as album cuts). My vinyl collection would be wall-to-wall, kinda like the John Cusack character in High Fidelity, or Steve Buscemi in Ghost World.

Drtooth

Reaction score
All I know is, if I was alive in the 1960s, I would be constantly broke, buying albums left and right! I could see myself waiting for new releases by the Beatles, the Stones, the Byrds, Cream, Dylan, the Doors, etc. [/I]
All I know is, if I was alive in the 1960s, I would be constantly broke, buying up all the Huckleberry Hound, Yogi Bear, and Bullwinkle albums. And get odd stares for it too. I wonder if I would like that sort of music if I was that age around then.

That said, I think I appreciate a lot of older things for being just that, older things. But that doesn't mean I don't love the Beatles, Little Richard (the TRUE king of Rock N Roll... actually, more like the Queen), The Stones, Queen, Springstine and all them.

There is current music I can enjoy. I must admit, I kinda like MCR. Kinda. not my thing. And I liked them better when they were a nerd band, not an emo band. That one guitarist looked just like Napoleon Dynamite. Seriously.

I just think for the most part it all sounds the same. Rock is mostly "fight the machine" stuff, ironically made by the machine (probably for purposes of making outsiders look goofy so nonconformists must be nonconformists by conforming). And Most Rap is Pimp juice, smack your ho, "I really grew up in Vermont, but I'll never tell" type stuff (though I will say, I do like Snoop a lizzle). And the rest of it is fakey white Jazz (I hate Harry Connick Jr.), or Starbucks music.

But then again, I'm not a fan of 90's rock too much either. Especially that Lollypop-alooza stuff.

karamazov80

Reaction score
Every generation has it crappy popular music. Much (most) of what came out in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s, just like today, wasn't worth listening to. Some of us love music for the nostalgia that it induces (I'm admittedly that way with 80s stuff), but if you judge that stuff on its merits, much of it won't hold up. I'm not as into contemporary music as I used to be, but I know that at least Tom Waits, Steve Earle, Wilco, Alison Krauss, Bela Fleck, and a handful of jazz musicians/bands like Astral Project, Chick Corea, Los Hombres Calientes, and Pat Metheny are still making good music fairly consistently. Plus, there are plenty of good indie bands that I hear on the local college radio station whose names I don't know.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
It just depends what you want the music for.

Today's pop music is mixing alot with dance music, so it's the type of thing you would hear in a club. It might be crappy just to listen to the radio but once you are on the dance floor you appreciate the beat and the mixing, etc. You can't just compare it to classic rock and say things went downhill. Rock was new once upon a time; now this dance-y pop stuff is new and totally different, and happens to be existing in the same universe as rock.

That being said, I can appreciate some of that kind of music but in general I don't understand/ do not have a liking for dance/rap/techno/modern "r&b".

I like "real" r&b as I say, otherwise known as Motown. There's just something really special about that kind of music, really unique (and yeah, people scat and riff but none of this crappy gratuitous stuff that we see today; it had SOUL!). Also, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I think the 70's was the best era for rock!