Too old for Sesame Street

mikealan

Reaction score
Hello, MC fans, parents told us not to watch SS or TEC when we're older kids, because they think they would be inappropriate for us fans. They think that they're *young kids' shows".

My mom thinks that I had the angry face from the SS segment about angry, and she does not want to see me being angry! I HATED my parents.

Do you guys agree that we cannot watch SS when we're old?

Thijs

Reaction score
Nobody is too old to watch Sesame Street, but I only watch the it for the puppets. I hate those cartoons (I hated them as a kid, but we discussed that already)

mikealan

Reaction score
Can you tell me why nobody is too old for Sesame Street?

ScottMonster

Reaction score
Originally posted by Tommie
Nobody is too old to watch Sesame Street, but I only watch the it for the puppets.
Ditto. And can I remember the time I entered first grade and started getting flak from my parents and peers for still watching it, even if I was only watching it because of the muppets. I think I finally managed to kick the habit when I was about eight - around the same time the episode explaining Mr. Hooper's death to Big Bird would have originally aired and knowing that I wish I'd prolonged the habit just a little bit longer. It would have been quite an experience for me to have seen this when it originally aired, even though I already had a pretty good understanding of the concept of death at that age since my grandmother had died almost a year previously.

Now I don't (regularly, anyway) watch current episodes of either it or "Sesame Park", the Canadian version of it on CBC (which seems to be gone now) because it's just not the show I remember and it also dosen't seem to have that secondary level of humour it once had that made it appealing to adults as well. It's now become just another "Barney" or "Teletubbies" A real shame IMO.

ScottMonster

Reaction score
Originally posted by mikealan
Can you tell me why nobody is too old for Sesame Street?

Well Mike... I guess anyone over the age of five is technically "too old" for Sesame Street, but anyone over that age can come up with an excuse for watching it if they really want to, but there comes a time in life where you stop caring about other peoples opinions on certain things. It's like Bil Cosby once said, "I may not know the secret to finding happiness, but I know the key to being miserable is trying to please everyone."

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Well, as anyone who finecombs the MC forum will tell you, I don't post in SS often (dear lord I hope there isn't anyone who examines this forum...:big_grin:). Sesame Street really was never my biggest love as a child, and I can't get into it nowadays because I'm not paticularly fond of the show as it is now, and it is literally impossible to collect episodes. I like it, just not to an extreme. But, I can tell you why I feel you can never be too old for SS (or any childrens show).

Some people look at something and see what is in front of them. You can look at a flower and say "this, is a flower plain and simple." But some people - people like us - can see things for what they are deep down. I see the flower as beauty, rather than just some plant in the ground. That is the differance. Some people watch Sesame Street and see an educational program for infants and nothing more. People like us see Sesame Street as wonder, eligance and grace, comedy and sentiment. We see more than just felt and foam rubber, we see a child-like beauty that we will always have, no matter how old we may be. Viewing the world through the eyes of a child is the greatest way to live. That is why I can spend my life collecting puppet shows and cartoons and never once look at myself as a fool. I see the inner beauty and awesomeness of things that are intended for children.

That, and they're just plain entertaining. :big_grin:

I'm not trying to contradict anyones opinions, but, that is how I feel. Happy New Year!

-Matt

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Matt's sentiments

Matt, that was stunningly beautiful...

Really, I--I just don't know what to say...

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Yep yep, that's why the College Academy wants me...:big_grin: Thank you ol' Buddy!

-Matt

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Yes, and Mokey would SO be proud of you.

I should know, I just finished watchin' "Mokey and the Minstrels" and "A Brush With Jealousy" for the first fragglish time!!

Really!

I did!

:big_grin:

:smile: