1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Top Annoying Misnaming People Do

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by beaker, Dec 16, 2009.

1. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

It could be English wasn't their first language; that happens sometimes.
  2. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

That's a good point. It's not alway easy to get a point across is you're not extremely familiar with another language.
  3. heralde

I'm noticing people on forums in general becoming more aware of that. If something's not your first language, your posts can look really awkward, lol.
  4. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

Well you can't really blame them I mean I don't think many people sit there and really think about what goes into puppetry like us Muppet purists tend to do. Movement wise I guess I can see how one would interpret it like animation but I don't really see it myself.
  5. heralde

Well when Kermit was at the Oscars he talked about how "animated characters like us can do anything!" Like things real life people can't do. Then the joke was that Scooter had trouble opening the envelope without Jim Henson's help, lol.
  6. Mo Frackle

Right, I don't think people really see what goes into certain jobs like puppetry, voice acting, or even photography until they've tried it.
  7. Mo Frackle

:jim:: Excuse me, I have a frog in my throat.
    ;): AHAHHHAAAHAHA!!
    muppetfan24/7 and heralde like this.
  8. Pinkflower7783

All I'm saying is when I saw the comment I obviously interpreted it as they meant it was a cartoon show which is why it came off as odd to me. My intention wasn't to start a debate about the difference between puppetry and animation. :/
  9. heralde

Your standard Hollywood actor wishes he had the talent of your standard voice actor. ;)
  10. Pinkflower7783

I thought Kermit comparing himself to Woody in an interview got the point across very nicely. Lol
  11. heralde

No big deal, it's an interesting debate, hehe.
  12. Mo Frackle

It's all good. No debate, just a mature discussion.
  13. heralde

I'm really glad that with the advent of conventions people like voice actors and puppeteers are finally getting the recognition they deserve. For too long people treated them like they weren't "real" actors just because you couldn't see them.
  14. Pinkflower7783

Well since we're on the subject I do agree with Mo in terms of most people do just think its the voice and mouth movement. If they only saw what really goes on behind it I'm sure they'd have a different perspective about it. But puppetry is more foreign to people then one might assume. But the same could be said for animators as well most people think its just drawing on papers not knowing the animator has to actually study the actor doing the voice to get a feel for how to bring it to life. I studied art when I was in college and Mo makes another good point until you've tried it yourself you can't really know what actually goes into it.
    heralde and Mo Frackle like this.
  15. heralde

That's why I was always so grateful that Jim was so willing to share the behind the scenes experience even with young fans like me. :)

Absolutely, as one Disney documentary put it, "animators are actors with a pencil!" Well, puppeteers are actors with a puppet, lol. And I recall the Gorg actors compared their mask and mime work with puppetry. The pencil, puppet and mask is the just the medium you use to create.
  16. Mo Frackle

I'm taking a course that involves photography, and most people think you just grab a camera and shoot. No, no, no, there's far more too it than that. You have to know how to set up your shots, how and were to position the camera, measuring of aperature and shutter speed, lighting, depth of field, and plenty of math, among other things.

And I also puppeteer as a hobby. In that sense, I'm still at Elementary level (possibly lower). So much goes into that, as well. Making the character come to life, making it turn a certain way, eye contact, proper lip sync, knowing how to skip syllables and mix up mouth movements when lip synching, moving the character's arm at the same time it speaks without making it look awkward, developing a character, keeping your arm up, staying in place, and so much more.
    Pinkflower7783 and heralde like this.
  17. heralde

Yeah anytime you make an art form a mainstream thing (obviously anyone can own a camera) the general public will start to take it for granted.
    Pinkflower7783 and Mo Frackle like this.
  18. Mo Frackle

Boy, we've muffined this thread.
  19. Pinkflower7783

I guess I technically started it...:p
  20. heralde

Hmm yes...oh well, lol.

Well anyway, um, misnaming, yeah...well I had the opposite experience once. I bought myself a Snuffy toy a couple years ago and I was very shocked that my Dad knew its name, lol.
    Mo Frackle likes this.