1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Top Annoying Misnaming People Do

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by beaker, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

I hate when people confuse Telly with Elmo.

2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

So does Telly himself. Once with the Muppet Performers were at an event having their pictures taken, some photographer kept calling out to Telly, "Hey! Purple Elmo! Over here! Purple Elmo!" So Marty had Telly lose it. "Oh, so I'm the 'Purple Elmo'? Well, okay! Don't forget Oscar over here, he's the 'Green Elmo,' and then there's Cookie Monster, he's the 'Blue Elmo'!"

3. Pig's Laundry

Really? Purple Elmo. That's just lazy. You'd think professionals would at least do a little research before going to an event. That's like going into a Star Wars convention and shouting "Hey Spock! Over here Spock!" to Harrison Ford.

D'Snowth likes this.
  4. D'Snowth

I would, unfortunately, give them some benefit of the doubt, considering I'm not entirely sure how well-known or recognized Telly is among casual lurkers, and considering that Telly's design is similar to Elmo's in they're both orange-nosed monsters, and Telly's fur is more of a fuschia/magenta-ish color than true purple. . . . it's still ridiculous, though.

5. Pig's Laundry

This has nothing to do with the photographer since I don't know how old he was or if he watched SST on a regular basis or even at all. But another thing that bothers me is, when people who watched the show regularly in the 80s,90s and early 2000s don't know who Telly is.

6. D'Snowth

I guess Telly just doesn't resonate with many kids, because even Joey said in spite of his efforts to write more for Telly that apparently kids just aren't drawn to him like they are other characters like Elmo.

7. D'Snowth

Actually, I now recall a similar situation years ago when I was walking through the store wearing my Cookie Monster t-shirt, and I was passing a mother pushing her toddler in a buggy, and the toddler pointed out to my shirt and said, "Elmo! Elmo!" The mother said, "that's right, that's 'Elmo's Friend'!"

8. Pig's Laundry

Well I guess it's excusable for toddlers, they think every SST character is Elmo.

9. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

One time I had a Bloo shirt on and a little kid said it was Grover.

10. D'Snowth

This thread's been open for a long time, has it ever been mentioned that some people out there seem to get Grover and Gonzo mixed up?

11. snichols1973

snichols1973 Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever heard any rumors such as mistaking the Snowths for Birdo, a character from Super Mario Bros. 2?

On the left is a picture of Snowths (the ones with pink ear horns), and on the right is a picture of Birdo (the one with the red hair bow); since they look a bit similar, some confusion might ensue for those not too familiar with the Snowths:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birdo

:boo:: The question is, what is a "Mahna Mahna"?
    :sleep:: The question is, who cares?

---From TMS episode 101 (Juliet Prowse)

12. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

I'm surprised someone hasn't done a parody yet.

13. Janice+Floyd<3

Janice+Floyd<3 Well-Known Member

Well It's mispronounciation but a lot of people spell Janices name Janis after Janis Joplin and being that she's my fav it makes me crazy like I constantly correct people with *Janice

JimAndFrank likes this.
  14. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

I've never noticed that before but you're right. Maybe she could be a distant cousin of a Snowth or something like that. :)

15. Whatnot1988

Whatnot1988 Active Member

I'll admit that even I'm guilty of this crime sometimes:

Example #1: As a toddler I often watched TMTM on VHS and often didn't know the names of characters I hadn't already seen on Muppet Babies. However, when I first heard Dr. Teeth's name mentioned, my 3-year-old self somehow began referring to Janice as "Dr. Nose" (which is very ironic since she doesn't even have one). Don't ask me what I was thinking, I was 3, and didn't know her real name until I was 6!

Example #2: Somehow as an adult I've developed habit of not knowing and/or remembering the names of minor/obscure/background characters, or giving them nicknames that help me personally identify them better. For example, I've had the habit of referring to Gladys from S3 of TMS as simply, "The Diner Lady." I've also referred to the Beautiful Day Monster as "The 'Got Anything Cheaper?' Monster" because of the travel agent sketch with Paul Williams in TMS S1.

Example #3: I've frequently reffered to Link Hogthrob by the full title of "Captain Link Hogthrob" even when he's not in Pigs in Space.

theSHE124 likes this.
  16. fufumuppet

fufumuppet Member

I showed my little sister (she's five) a picture of Miss Piggy and she called her Mrs. Puppet. :p

theSHE124 likes this.
  17. ShMuppetgal96

ShMuppetgal96 Member

One I absolutely can't stand is Mayor Bloomberg's of Caroll Spinney and John Tartaglia at MOMI-

"Caroll Spine-y" "John Tar-Gog-lia"

Uuugh!

But of course, "Eric Jacobson" was no problem

18. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

Saying ''I don't watch Elmo'' instead of ''I don't watch Sesame Street''

Has he really taken over that much?

muppetgem likes this.
  19. Rarity

Rarity New Member

I'v seen a youtube comment and they mistook Annie sue for Miss Piggy :confused:

theSHE124 likes this.
  20. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

The average viewers aren't the only good-ups. At the Rifftrax Live showing of "Sharknado 2," Mike Nelson made a joke about Fozzie Bear, but accidentally called him "Fonzie."