Top Film 2008

Nick22

Reaction score
has anybody here seen Yes Man? awesome movie! one of the best of this year in my opinion. i saw with a bunch of my friends on the last day of 08! im gonna miss 08 :frown:

im bored so im gonna list all the ppl who went to the movie with me :smile: lol

me, taylor, ashley, peter, danielle, lian, and jenna. sho much fun :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Considering I like the TV show, you basically saw an exact representation of the series. The dialogue was never that amazing, and the characters did go on long monologues (I know you're no anime fan, but you'd know that a lot of them have the same type of monologues in basically everything).
Just seems like an inadequate excuse for poor screenwriting that wouldn't pass muster for any subject matter. There is a language to film and the Wachowski brothers know it. It could have been adapted for the screen in a way that could have pleased fans and moviegoers alike. I just found myself not caring about anyone in the film and that’s just bad filmmaking. Still, very pretty and it did look right.

I thing toons can be adapted for the screen it’s just that studios often take the low road in making these. It was clear the Wachowskis cared about Speed Racer, just not enough about most of the audience.

Oh, and I totally forgot about Iron Man. It’s a great film. Strange that I’d leave it out. I left out Wall-E just because it didn’t touch me the way other Pixar films have. When Wall-E wasn’t the focus the film became tedious for me.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, it wasn't perfect... but then again, they could have made the Mach 5 a talking car with a Gangsta 'tude (with charmingly stereotypical dialogue written by old, balding white guys) to try and capture an audience of 5 year olds who don't even know about the show, or even care what it is... I know what you're saying... but I have seen really bad contractual obligation, low budget, "Let's make the movie because we spent money on the license 3 years ago, and it's going to expire" films too many times. I'm still ticked about Underdog, and that was a year ago.

Yet to see: Milk
I need to see it. I've heard good things. Sean Penn will get a nomination and is likely to win an Oscar.
On that subject, I really wanted to see Tropic Thunder.... if only because it's a huge middle finger up to Sean Penn and any actors that take on films like Milk and I Am Sam just to win an Oscar. I really want to see stuff like Iron Man, Wall*E and Dark Knight get nominated for Best Picture to snub the same old weepy "true Story" movies that only open the eyes of people whose eyes are already open (mine are... I don't see this movie making sweeping changes, nor do I see Bill Mahrer's "Religulous" doing the same thing). It seems those kinds of films are nominated so people can say "We (pretend to) care!" It's probably a good movie anyway, but basically just some ego stroking for Sean Penn.

Of course, I also want to say I felt the big surprise was Kung Fu Panda. I went into this year thinking I was going to hate it, and it would be another Dreamworks "Let's see how many celebrities we can stuff into making as many pop culture references and fart jokes as possible while posing for action toys and emitting talking toy sound bites" type films they're best known for... but I was pleasantly wrong. They looked at the film almost as a serious Kung Fu comedy/action film, and the characters were extremely relatable (especially Po). And No Pop Culture jokes... no Farts... an actual coherent plot. I have to say, I think Wall*E was still a better film (and really daring... And I don't mean the whole bit about Humanity is doomed... having a film with no dialogue for half hour stretches is BOLD), but Kung Fu Panda was the best thing Dreamworks has done. I just hope they can get that same quality for later films...

Oh, and I thought Madagascar 2 was pretty alright... the first one was a bit better...

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Of course, I also want to say I felt the big surprise was Kung Fu Panda. I went into this year thinking I was going to hate it, and it would be another Dreamworks "Let's see how many celebrities we can stuff into making as many pop culture references and fart jokes as possible while posing for action toys and emitting talking toy sound bites" type films they're best known for... but I was pleasantly wrong. They looked at the film almost as a serious Kung Fu comedy/action film, and the characters were extremely relatable (especially Po). And No Pop Culture jokes... no Farts... an actual coherent plot. I have to say, I think Wall*E was still a better film (and really daring... And I don't mean the whole bit about Humanity is doomed... having a film with no dialogue for half hour stretches is BOLD), but Kung Fu Panda was the best thing Dreamworks has done. I just hope they can get that same quality for later films...

Oh, and I thought Madagascar 2 was pretty alright... the first one was a bit better...
I have yet to see Madagascar 2, But I agree with the Kung Fu panda thing. It was much better than I expected, and the plot did stick together.

I do also think that Wall*E was better, and I loved it. I saw it twice in a week. It was a very daring move to make a fil that went for a Long time without any speech at all, and it was marketed towards children. Though I did enjoy the last part, with the people sliding along. Lol.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Tropic Thunder wasn't about stroking Ben Stiller's ego? I can't see why both Milk and Tropic Thunder can't be enjoyed. This Harvey Milk picture has taken nearly two decades to hit the screen and went through many different actors and directors. That is why such films are appreciated - for the hardship and love of craft rather than mugging and cashing in. And trust me, most actors are narcissistic. It's the nature of the business. Also, Milk is a period picture that is especially relevant for this current climate. I can understand particular actors rubbing some people the wrong way. I have my own black list of irritating movie stars so I can understand you’re not pulling for Penn to win anything.

I like all sorts of films and genuinely step into each theater wanting to like every movie. And I try to see as many as possible. I wonder what Speed Racer would have been like with a fraction of the budget, no name stars and just made for its fans rather than the film that actually hit theaters. You just don't pour $120 million into a picture that only the fans get and only a fraction of said fans actually liked. Still, I must repeat how stunning it looked.

I was surprised by Kung Fu Panda, but Wall-E was the better picture and hands-down should get the Best Animated Film nod. Still, it's nice to see DreamWorks stepping up to the plate in creating something beautiful and enduring that didn't depend on pop culture comedy. Who knew they'd ever do that?

Nick22

Reaction score
i havent seen wall-e yet. i actually wasnt planning on it eother but everyone is making it sound so good so i might just have to se it now :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Tropic Thunder wasn't about stroking Ben Stiller's ego? I can't see why both Milk and Tropic Thunder can't be enjoyed. This Harvey Milk picture has taken nearly two decades to hit the screen and went through many different actors and directors. That is why such films are appreciated - for the hardship and love of craft rather than mugging and cashing in. And trust me, most actors are narcissistic. It's the nature of the business. Also, Milk is a period picture that is especially relevant for this current climate. I can understand particular actors rubbing some people the wrong way. I have my own black list of irritating movie stars so I can understand you’re not pulling for Penn to win anything.
Well, I'm talking about it in a South Park putting pseudo-liberal celebrities in their places type deal. Again, I'm sure that Milk is a fine movie, but there is no doubt in my mind Sean Penn looked at the script and said "Easy Oscar." But the real thing I always think about is something that Indie film producer/ Founder of Troma Lloyd Kauffman said... Hollywood only tackles tough subjects when it's safe and marketable. Indie films hit the tough subjects when they first hit. Look at the Vietnam era. We had mainstream movies vaugley written as allegories about the Vietnam War, but none actually took place during. Even nowadays, the films about the Iraq War came out when the war's appeal was fading, and the president's approval rating was crashing and burning.
Plus, I have something against biopics anyway... forgot to mention that.

And I try to see as many as possible. I wonder what Speed Racer would have been like with a fraction of the budget, no name stars and just made for its fans rather than the film that actually hit theaters.
I dunno... maybe with the same crappy script but with telefilm production values? :big_grin: I like the idea of appealing just to fans... but then we'd risk the danger of fan service, and inside jokes that only diehards would get. I watched this "Anniversary" video of an anime called "Time Bokan" (which was the only bit of the franchise the US ever got), and I sat their listening to references to characters I didn't understand, inside jokes I wasn't prithy to, and a celebration of people who grew up with a show I've never heard of until someone showed it to me.

But anything is better than shoving in Hip Hop talking stuff that's totally out of character. I can't say how much I hated the Gadget Mobile talking enough. Though, in the DTV, CGI film "Inspector Gadget's Biggest Case Ever" I thought Bernie Mac did a much, much better job than Hugley did.

I was surprised by Kung Fu Panda, but Wall-E was the better picture and hands-down should get the Best Animated Film nod. Still, it's nice to see DreamWorks stepping up to the plate in creating something beautiful and enduring that didn't depend on pop culture comedy. Who knew they'd ever do that?
I feel that Over the Hedge was close to that... I really wanted another film with that sort of tone to it. I mean, I did like Bee Movie to a certain extent, Shrek 3 was okay, but it really should have been the last one, Shark Tale had its moments, but was a loud, crass celeb voice actor fest and I have no idea why I like Madagascar... but when they put aside their old habits, they can make a good movie that can stand up. Plus, I have to give credit for them holding off on fart jokes for a three film stretch.

I do also think that Wall*E was better, and I loved it. I saw it twice in a week. It was a very daring move to make a fil that went for a Long time without any speech at all, and it was marketed towards children. Though I did enjoy the last part, with the people sliding along. Lol.
And the surprising thing was, earlier this year, I didn't think there would have been that much to it. It's hard to say what is my favorite Pixar film, since there are so many at the top... The Incredibles, Wall*E, Ratatoullie, Monsters INC. In fact the ones I like the least, Cars and Bugs Life, I still really love.

Plus Fred Willard was absolutely wonderful as the company and world president. Adding the live action portions to the CGI movie made it all the more believable and even frightening.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I suppose that last post came off as a Bill O'Reilly sort of take on Sean Penn that I just don't buy. Penn can be irritating, but he is a Hollywood outsider that few people will work with due to his controversial nature. He's not the type of guy that even likes the Oscars so I doubt his decision to play this important minority civil rights figure hinged on that. I also wouldn't assume anything about his performance or the film without having seen it. What is more interesting about Milk is the casting of Brolin. He played two historical figures last year who are widely seen as villainous - W and Dan White (whose Twinkie defense for murder is legendary).

My point of Speed Racer is that a director shouldn't create a $120 million film that only a segment of its fans will appreciate. There was a compromise that didn't happen and the actors looked bored.

DreamWorks has really gotten much better in terms of quality and style of animation. Kung Fu Panda was a story that (unlike Shark's Tale, Shrek 3 and Bee Movie) actually had a reason to be made. That's what Brad Bird of Pixar has stated about animated films and I agree. Sure, we've seen Panda's sort of story before, but it was done nicely here.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I suppose that last post came off as a Bill O'Reilly sort of take on Sean Penn that I just don't buy. Penn can be irritating, but he is a Hollywood outsider that few people will work with due to his controversial nature. He's not the type of guy that even likes the Oscars so I doubt his decision to play this important minority civil rights figure hinged on that. I also wouldn't assume anything about his performance or the film without having seen it. What is more interesting about Milk is the casting of Brolin. He played two historical figures last year who are widely seen as villainous - W and Dan White (whose Twinkie defense for murder is legendary).
Personally, I just don't like biofilms in general. When it comes to seeing a based off true events movie, I'd much rather see a documentary... and I think a well done documentary about the same subject can blow a biopic out of the water.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Personally, I just don't like biofilms in general. When it comes to seeing a based off true events movie, I'd much rather see a documentary... and I think a well done documentary about the same subject can blow a biopic out of the water.
I get you on that point. It's hard for an actor not to outshine the historical figure they are portraying in a biopic. Also many events have to be altered and contrivances created in order to squeeze the story into an appropriate running time.

I have a soft spot for this particular subject matter because it was shot in this very city and in places I know. Many local merchants altered their signage and storefronts for the shoot and many locals participated by wearing period clothing. It also was directed by Gus Van Sant who definitely took the material very seriously - and without getting sappy from what I've heard in the reviews. That's rare.

I first heard of the Milk movie after my move to San Francisco in 1995. Oliver Stone was to direct and Robin Williams was slated to star. I would have enjoyed that, but this appears to be much better. I will have to see.

When it comes to genre pictures - sports movies and westerns are not at the top of my list, but I do give them a fair shake (after seeing the other genre films out there that are my taste, of course). Everyone has a vice. Some people smoke, others drink too much and some really enjoy a good meal. I like my movies. If a crummy Lindsay Lohan double feature was all that was playing at a movie plex - I assure you that I'd show up. I wouldn't be happy about it and understand others staying away. That's just where I come from with movies. :cool: