Top Muppet DVD's Disney Needs To Release

beaker

Reaction score
Not sure how well petitions work(tho the one Warrick got rolling with Fraggle Rock worked...I see Fraggle Rock dvds prominently sold at Target, Walmart, FYE, Suncaost and Best Buy)

For most of you here, this will be a no brainer list. But I thought it bears(pun intended) repeating: Disney needs to release the following on dvd:

1. Muppets At Walt Disney World(1990) One of the last completed work Jim Henson did with the Muppets, this is one of the most absolutely wonderful things the Muppets done in my view(next to Muppet Family Christmas and Muppet Movie) Given the whole theme is the Muppets coming together at WDW and under Disney's umbrella...how much more apro po can ya get?

2. ALL Muppets.com and Youtube shorts on dvd. I don't think there'd be one Muppet fan who wouldnt at least consider this as a purchase...give it a $9.99-$11.99 pricepoint, and Disney would have a winner "sticker that says "featuring Bohemian Rhapsody!"

3. Muppets Tonight Season 1 and 2 boxset. Given Disney owns the Muppets, and season 2 was exclusive to the Disney channel...what could be the objection?

4. Muppet Television(first half of the Jim Henson Hour) 1989
Now, we saw the SECOND half of Jim Henson hour released on dvd(Storyteller) ...but never the first half, called "Muppet Television"(and where Muppet Central got its name from) I absolutely love this short series, and think it'd be the most amazing thing to have on dvd with bonus extras and the behind the scenes documentary that aired in 1992.

5. A Bear in the Big Blue House direct to dvd movie. Have Bear and company start off in their world...but then go out in the real world with Tutter ala Breakfast with Bear. Disney is the sole owner of the Bear franchise under the Muppet brand, so it'd be perfect. I mean, why the heck did they drop this brand like it doesnt exist? Did they forget the great 1999-2001 Bear merch era?

What are some of your lists?

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Perhaps they should try to release an UNCUT DVD of 'Muppet Family Christmas', and I mean 'original-1987-airing' uncut.
It is, after all, THE best Christmas special the Muppets have ever done. All they'd need to do is get the song rights (they did it at least a hundred times for the 'Muppet Show' DVD sets so it can't be that hard to do) and permission from Sesame Workshop and The Jim Henson Company to use the 'Sesame Street' and 'Fraggle Rock' characters.

rexcrk

Reaction score
We need blu-rays of all the movies! I'd re-buy all my Muppet stuff on Blu-ray hehe.

And proper special editions of the first three Muppet movies.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
My list of DVDs I would like to see Disney release isn't just limted to Muppet related titles, myself. So I'll give my top ones both Muppet and non-Muppet

1) The rest of the seasons of the Muppet show- No brainer
2) Song of the South
3) A totally unedited edition of Fanastia
4) Any Muppet rare footage.

beaker

Reaction score
My list of DVDs I would like to see Disney release isn't just limted to Muppet related titles, myself. So I'll give my top ones both Muppet and non-Muppet

1) The rest of the seasons of the Muppet show- No brainer
2) Song of the South
3) A totally unedited edition of Fanastia
4) Any Muppet rare footage.
Im with you on Song of the South! They base rides, plushes, books, merchandise, other areas of Disneyland on that movie...but REFUSE to even acknowledge its existence.

Oh, its "racist". Yeah right. The movie EXPOSES racist of antebellum South. It shows kindness...it does not perpetuate stereotypes or denegrate anyone...in fact it was a very brave film that won an academy award. In the 1980's this film came to theaters briefly, but ever since...nothing.

Why is Disney so afraid of this movie? Even black groups say its time for it to come out.

As for Fantasia...well, you do have topless/nude teenage girls as well as other controversial issues with that one musical number...so Im not sure that'll ever get released.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Im with you on Song of the South! They base rides, plushes, books, merchandise, other areas of Disneyland on that movie...but REFUSE to even acknowledge its existence.

Oh, its "racist". Yeah right. The movie EXPOSES racist of antebellum South. It shows kindness...it does not perpetuate stereotypes or denegrate anyone...in fact it was a very brave film that won an academy award. In the 1980's this film came to theaters briefly, but ever since...nothing.
Why is Disney so afraid of this movie? Even black groups say its time for it to come out.
Still thinking of Saturday TV Funhouse's Disney Vault and the version Walt only showed at parties :batty: I think it's even more racist to just hide this film and basically deny the whole thing ever existed. At LEAST sell it as an online exclusive on a collector basis. They'll let them release every single lily white live action movie Disney made in the 60's, but not this?

As for Fantasia...well, you do have topless/nude teenage girls as well as other controversial issues with that one musical number...so Im not sure that'll ever get released.
Didn't they just cover that stuff up in an obvious, self censoring manner? I'm sure they'll release it soon, since they release every movie they ever make once every 10 years to drive up sales for people who didn't bother picking them up in the first place. I mean, hey... we have Blu Ray... no better time to release the darn thing.

And I still wonder why the heck they just don't release the Ducktales movie outside of their little Disney video collection program.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
1. Muppets At Walt Disney World(1990) One of the last completed work Jim Henson did with the Muppets, this is one of the most absolutely wonderful things the Muppets done in my view(next to Muppet Family Christmas and Muppet Movie) Given the whole theme is the Muppets coming together at WDW and under Disney's umbrella...how much more apro po can ya get?

2. ALL Muppets.com and Youtube shorts on dvd. I don't think there'd be one Muppet fan who wouldnt at least consider this as a purchase...give it a $9.99-$11.99 pricepoint, and Disney would have a winner "sticker that says "featuring Bohemian Rhapsody!"

3. Muppets Tonight Season 1 and 2 boxset. Given Disney owns the Muppets, and season 2 was exclusive to the Disney channel...what could be the objection?

Now, we saw the SECOND half of Jim Henson hour released on dvd(Storyteller) ...but never the first half, called "Muppet Television"(and where Muppet Central got its name from) I absolutely love this short series, and think it'd be the most amazing thing to have on dvd with bonus extras and the behind the scenes documentary that aired in 1992.
I agree with all of those. I also want a DVD of the full Little Muppet Monsters series (including unaired episodes). And Muppet Babies, of course, as well as some of the Play-Along Videos (the GOOD ones) and, although it would be redunandant with the TMS season sets, the 1980s Playhouse Video compilations. And perhaps a DVD of all Muppet music videos (I think Sony has the distribution rights to I'm Gonna Always Love You, considering that was promotion for The Muppets Take Manhattan).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Now, we saw the SECOND half of Jim Henson hour released on dvd(Storyteller)
That's really only five second halfs. The StoryTeller wasn't in every episode, and we don't have DVD releases of Song of the Cloud Forrest, Lighthouse Island, or Miss Piggy's Hollywood.

beaker

Reaction score
Good point. Can ANYONE say why Muppet Babies isnt on dvd? Does this make sense? Way more people saw Muppet Babies than Dinosaurs. C.O.P.S., Alf Animated, Garfield and friends, etc is all on dvd. Heck even now Fraggle Animated. But no Muppet Babies?

That's really only five second halfs. The StoryTeller wasn't in every episode, and we don't have DVD releases of Song of the Cloud Forrest, Lighthouse Island, or Miss Piggy's Hollywood.
For some reason I keep thinking Lighthouse, Monster Maker, etc
is part of Storyteller. I'll instead just say the "fantasy second half", heh.

But yeah, you're right. I say put the seven Muppet Television episodes along with the two inner tube pilots on a dvd:smile:

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Good point. Can ANYONE say why Muppet Babies isnt on dvd? Does this make sense? Way more people saw Muppet Babies than Dinosaurs. C.O.P.S., Alf Animated, Garfield and friends, etc is all on dvd. Heck even now Fraggle Animated. But no Muppet Babies?
Simple, there is a lincesne copyright problem.

When the Muppet babies would use their "imagination," it often included material from other franchasies, which Disney doesn't own the rights over. Such as Star Terk, Star Wars and Indina Jones, just to name a few. Right now Disney is having a somewhat tough time with Copyright laws for use of other copyrighted songs over the Muppet show seasons DVDs, which is one of the reasons it takes so long between releases.

It's not due to a lack of demand, many fans of Muppets and 1980s saturday mouring cartoon shows would love to have Muppet Babies in their DVD collection. Sadly though, Disney would have a really hard time getting uncut episodes of Muppet Babies and if they did try to release "edited" verisons, it would be heavily edited. That's why I wouldn't hold my breath for a Muppets Babies DVD release and, to be fair, it's not Disney's fault.

All the shows you mention like Garfield and Friends did have a demand for a DVD release and they don't have the problems Muppet Babies do have. That's why they got there DVD releases and Muppet Babies still to this day doesn't. Good thing Garfield didn't have a dream scene where he was face to face with Darth Vader, huh. Plus I think it's debatable over whether or not Muppet Babies had a larger following than Garfield and Friends.

For me on a personal note, I would rather they focus on getting the rest of the Muppet Show uncut more so than Muppet Babies. I like Muppet Babies just fine and all, but for the Muppets at their total best with that magic they have, give me the Muppet show anyday over Muppet Babies.