Toy Story 3

Drtooth

Reaction score
Or it very well could end up being a joke. I'm completely skipping it, and I'm REALLY disappointed that Disney's being the last horse over the fence about this, cashing in off a fad when it's toooo late. It's like some old guy trying to Rick Roll someone 4 years after, and not even on April Fools day.

If it was traditionally animated, I'd give it a shot for that... but really, vapid Princes, overly empowered Princesses... that's Shrek. That's soooo 2001.

Still, I'm wondering what the heck Monsters Inc 2 is about. Seems like the true reason they're making it is because they had to cancel all production on Newt because Blue Sky stole their concept and rushed it out faster.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I just got back from the movie and I loved it! I was crying all through the ending! ANd the short was marvelous as well!

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Don't judge a book by its cover.

In this case, don't judge a film by its trailer.

"Tangled" could end up being a lot better than what any trailers could be leading some to believe. You never know.
I'm willing to give Tangled a chance, though, I do have to admit, I see where Dr.Tooth is coming from and I do agree with him a lot.

Still I'm rooting for this movie do be LESS successful than Disney's the Princess and the Frog, which I'm thinking it will be, showing once and for all that a good animated movie doesn't have to always be 3D.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Still I'm rooting for this movie do be LESS successful than Disney's the Princess and the Frog, which I'm thinking it will be, showing once and for all that a good animated movie doesn't have to always be 3D.
I'm still annoyed by that. I mean, yes... it was my own smoo fault for seeing that dumb second Chipmunks movie, thinking that would be the one that flops, and not bothering to see it any time else... but I really get the feeling Disney gave it the bum's rush to DVD, because that's more profitable than actually having the movie in theaters.

Tangled looks like a hold out from the Eisner era that just sat there, and was produced only because they had an idea sitting there. I'd rather Disney do a sincere version of the fairy tale, and not yet another "Fractured Fairy Tales with a 'Tude" (read "Shrek Knockoff"). Sure, Chicken Little wasn't a sincere version either, but it did its own thing, making a weird sequel to the story. This seems like a subplot from some other movie with vaugely Disney-esque designs....

Actually, it's a lot like this. Imagine that someone's making vicious comments and snide remarks behind someone else's back. Basically not only making fun of them, but doing it in as sort of revenge or because they deserve it on some level. Now, let's say that someone else finally learns of these comments (a while down the road) and, while deeply insulted, pretends to have a sense of humor about himself. So, the insultee starts telling cleaned up, unfunny versions of jokes based off of those comments, effectively trying to make fun of himself to be in on the joke. But he isn't really in on the joke, and winds up just ruining everyone else's fun at his expense.

in other words, Fairy Tale parody movies were supposed to make fun of Disney. Disney's trying to hard to make fun of themselves, basically telling jokes everyone else told, and cleaned up, non-offensive versions of themselves.

Heck, the Prince in Shrek was an extremely thinly veiled caricature of Michael Eisner.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
If it was traditionally animated, I'd give it a shot for that...
JJandJanice said:
Those both sound like extremely prejudiced remarks, IMO. Very anti-Jim... :cry:

Drtooth

Reaction score
How is expressing that a movie that looks bad, seems bad, and above all else isn't even Disney quality anti-Jim? I'm sorry, but if Disney wanted in on the parody fairy tale shtick, they should have made this movie 5 years ago. now it's a stale concept.

You need to be less sensitive about this stuff, man.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
How is expressing that a movie that looks bad, seems bad, and above all else isn't even Disney quality anti-Jim? I'm sorry, but if Disney wanted in on the parody fairy tale shtick, they should have made this movie 5 years ago. now it's a stale concept.

You need to be less sensitive about this stuff, man.
No. That's not what I was responding to.

I was responding to the remarks against the film being in 3D instead of 2D. That's what I found prejudiced, since 2D and 3D animation both deserve to exist and co-exist.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You're clearly reading too into things. I did not say anything about it being CGI. They all deserve to exist together, but frankly, if I'm going to see a movie I want something DIFFERENT. Either the story or the look. The CGI Fairy Tale parody movie train has long since left. Everyone from Lionsgate to Henson productions dipped their buckets into that well, and it ran completely dry. Even Dreamworks wants to get out of it. They ended Shrek at 4 movies when they originally planned 6 or 7. People want to see original stories, not parodies of old standbys. And you got to admit, the original 1960's Bullwinkle Fractured Fairy tales were a LOT more clever and sharp than any of these movies... even the good ones.

And even then, I'd see this movie if it were 2-D ONLY because it would look different. I have no problem with CGI, but it shouldn't be the end all be all. The next 2-D film Disney even has planned is a Winnie the Pooh film. I'm looking forward to seeing that, myself. Yeah, they all should co-exist, but we're not seeing any real co-existence, now are we?

I just want Disney to dust off its OWN stuff. Maybe make a movie based on the "Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck." or something original. I really enjoyed Bolt. Just NO MORE jaded Fairy Tale parodies. I'm sick of them.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
No. That's not what I was responding to.

I was responding to the remarks against the film being in 3D instead of 2D. That's what I found prejudiced, since 2D and 3D animation both deserve to exist and co-exist.
Dude I NEVER said 3D animation "doesn't deserve to exist." I don't know where you got that. I just said I would the studios to get though their head that a good animated movie doesn't always have to be CGI/ 3D animated. If you actually go back and read these posts on this thread, it's easy to see I"m a huge fan of Toy Story and Pixar, not to mention I've enjoyed other 3D animated movies such as Over the Hedge, Kung Fu Panda, heck I even admitted that I'm willing to give Tangled a shot. Course their have been really BAD CGI animated movies like Sharktale and Happily N'ver after.

Course that's not to say there's never been bad 2D animated movies, of course their has been, a thousand times yes their has been. Disney's Home on the Range is among one of the worst and that's coming from a pretty big Disney fan. Still look at the number of 2D animated movies to come out in the last ten years compared to the number of 3D animated movies, it's a huge difference. 2D animation has really taken a back seat to the rise of 3D, in a way that's kind of understandable since it's a newer media. But still what gets me is that a lot of movie studios seem to believe that as long as an "animated kids movie" is CGI, it will do just fine, which is in a long shot, selling their audience short. Heck Disney themselves made the statement that Home on the Range will be Disney's VERY LAST hand drawn animated movie and a LOT of really good hard working animators all of a sudden found themselves without work. All because so many movie execs were too blind to see that the REAL reason Toy Story and Pixar make such monster hits is because they have the uncanny way of making characters you care about and root for with a soild story, but their short way of thinking is "oh it must be the CGI animation." Thank god Disney went back on that statement and made Princess and the Frog 2D animated.

So what excatly is "anti-Jim" and "prejudiced" about that?