Toys R Us to buy FAO (and the Whatnot Workshop)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wal-Mart is not collectibles friendly. Those such items aren't created in bulk or kid oriented. I just hope TRU doesn't go that route. I'm sure FAO will be streamlined more than they are now. How much is a mystery. Just sad to see something special like FAO get gobbled up. San Francisco no longer has a TRU or an FAO.
The sad thing is that the toy store is dying out because of places like Wal*Mart and Target. Every Wal*Mart I've went to, I look around and say, "This is supposed to be an impressive selection?" The Super Wal*Marts are alright... but even my smaller Targets have a better selection. Heck, even K-Mart had stuff I didn't see in either store, and K-Mart sucks.

I used to be able to go to TRU no problem. the only 2 I could get to without getting a ride have been gone for years. And there aren't any places, other than locally run educational toy shops to find toys now that K B shut down for good. I've been going to Marshall's for discounted, clearanced toys.

As for FAO... we haven't had one even longer than those TRU's, and I never frequented it anyway. I didn't know what was worse... the inflated prices, or that incessant song. Blah!

As long as TRU has the vision to keep the workshop, and not bulldoze it over for what other TRU have done- you know, baby notions and combining them with Kid's R Us, it may not be so terrible.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
So I was disappointed - my husband gifted me a whatnot for our anniversary on Wednesday. We went to go online and make it and the website was down. Then the announcement came. So now I don't know if I'll be able to get my Whatnot or not! I'm so bummed!

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Assuming TRU keeps the line, I would assume this is better exposure for the Whatnots because there are dozens of TRU around, but no FAOs!

beaker

Reaction score
The sad thing is that the toy store is dying out because of places like Wal*Mart and Target. Every Wal*Mart I've went to, I look around and say, "This is supposed to be an impressive selection?" The Super Wal*Marts are alright... but even my smaller Targets have a better selection. Heck, even K-Mart had stuff I didn't see in either store, and K-Mart sucks.

I used to be able to go to TRU no problem. the only 2 I could get to without getting a ride have been gone for years. And there aren't any places, other than locally run educational toy shops to find toys now that K B shut down for good. I've been going to Marshall's for discounted, clearanced toys.

As for FAO... we haven't had one even longer than those TRU's, and I never frequented it anyway. I didn't know what was worse... the inflated prices, or that incessant song. Blah!

As long as TRU has the vision to keep the workshop, and not bulldoze it over for what other TRU have done- you know, baby notions and combining them with Kid's R Us, it may not be so terrible.
Bro, I was JUST at the mega super massive Walmart near me...
TINY little toy section. Like Im talking local grocery store/Rite Aid small. All they had was just the usual: star wars(which I am now officially sick of), transformers and wrestling pretty much. Maybe a few power rangers and *insert latest ripoff of Pokemon/Yu Gi Oh stuff*

Target isnt much better. I mean like you said, my local ghetto kmart has a better selection, and aint NO one shops there. And Kay Bee is no more.

I seriously have no idea how American toy companies plan on getting their products out, other than online.

However...all the TRU's near me are starting to get a lot of
the figures you usually only see at Hot Topic/Suncoast/FYE, the NECA type stuff. (Tho it IS a bit weird seeing the Watchmen
Comedian figure at TRU)
And right now TRU has a bunch of seriously cool Sonic and Mario figures, so Im happy.

But yeah, Target and Walmart is NOT the place anymore to get figures or toys.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
TINY little toy section. Like Im talking local grocery store/Rite Aid small. All they had was just the usual: star wars(which I am now officially sick of), transformers and wrestling pretty much. Maybe a few power rangers and *insert latest ripoff of Pokemon/Yu Gi Oh stuff*

Target isnt much better. I mean like you said, my local ghetto kmart has a better selection, and aint NO one shops there. And Kay Bee is no more.

I seriously have no idea how American toy companies plan on getting their products out, other than online.

However...all the TRU's near me are starting to get a lot of
the figures you usually only see at Hot Topic/Suncoast/FYE, the NECA type stuff. (Tho it IS a bit weird seeing the Watchmen
Comedian figure at TRU)
And right now TRU has a bunch of seriously cool Sonic and Mario figures, so Im happy.

But yeah, Target and Walmart is NOT the place anymore to get figures or toys.
You're right from what I've heard. I know TRU has been hurting in recent years. Brick and mortar stores of all sorts are dying due to internet sales and tighter budgets. The case turns into – why get this at the local toy shop when it’s cheaper at Target? Then once at Target the selection is limited so customers shop online. Since that’s where they end up they just start there. This kills any retail American jobs surrounding toys and other items as well. So if TRU purchased FAO due to their name recognition and they plan to keep the couple flagships alive while they maintain a healthy selection at their TRU brand – then goody! I wish the TRU was still open…but then my smaller shop would likely be closed. I just hope they keep the Whatnots alive.

(A personal happy time I had at a TRU many years back was not only seeing a Muppet action figure on store shelves...but a Johnny Fiama that I helped design. The fact that the store carried Johnny Fiama of all things was shocking considering that for so long finding even a Kermit item in their store was a fruitless task.)

zns

Reaction score
I haven't been able to buy my Wahtnot yet, so I hope this won't affect me when I am able to purchase one. :concern:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Seriously... the only things I see at those places that excited me are the Sesame Street Collect-a-Pals and the Play Along Smurf figures. And if they ever release a Plastic Man from Brave and the Bold.

All you ever see are toys of movies, comic books, movies based off of comic books (which are released before the based soley off a comic books), cartoons based off comic books, cartoons based off of movies based off of comic books, cartoons based off movies based off cartoons of toy lines, and, as stated, cheap kiddy collect'em all "animes" (that seem to be the laughing stock of Japan, and they only export them to make us look stupid... Come on, give us Doraemon already).

I think that both the retailers and toy makers are both to blame here. Retailers want stuff that will sell, without any risks. That usually means attachment to a movie, worst that can happen with one of those is the movie tanks and you still have one wave of toys you have to clear. And toy makers only make these sorts of toys, because no one wants them to sell anything else, unless they make they hyper-pricey online exclusives.... like Mattel's new Ghostbusters line. Considering the economy at the time, Palisades 9 series Muppet action figure line up was unprecedented. Let's say they tried to do a Muppet line today, we'd be lucky if we even see series 2. There isn't a call for funky, retro toy lines (that aren't connected with a movie). There's barely even a call for current cartoon lines... Come on, I want a Chowder action figure.

beaker

Reaction score
You're right from what I've heard. I know TRU has been hurting in recent years. Brick and mortar stores of all sorts are dying due to internet sales and tighter budgets. The case turns into – why get this at the local toy shop when it’s cheaper at Target? Then once at Target the selection is limited so customers shop online. Since that’s where they end up they just start there. This kills any retail American jobs surrounding toys and other items as well. So if TRU purchased FAO due to their name recognition and they plan to keep the couple flagships alive while they maintain a healthy selection at their TRU brand – then goody! I wish the TRU was still open…but then my smaller shop would likely be closed. I just hope they keep the Whatnots alive.

(A personal happy time I had at a TRU many years back was not only seeing a Muppet action figure on store shelves...but a Johnny Fiama that I helped design. The fact that the store carried Johnny Fiama of all things was shocking considering that for so long finding even a Kermit item in their store was a fruitless task.)
That was cool seeing most the Muppet waves at TRU.
Tho to me nothing beats the "brick and mortar" stores.
I LOVED Things From Another World when it was in San Francisco. I like how my local comic shops here in Sacramento still get all sorts of obscure new toys.

Its just...I wonder where the future lies for toys?

Also, I hate to say this...but artificial scarcity is a BIG problem with TRU and offline retailers. I know for a fact people will go to all their local stores to grab up specific figures(at TRU, it would be nabbing every single Monsters vs Alien toy, all the super shadow/sonic figures, etc) and then putting them at a 250% markup on ebay and "specialty" online retailers claiming they are
"rare and out of print". Yeah, thats because of them.
Online is good for when ya want to find an old figure line or something that you cant find(just sucks that $2 sale bin figure you shoulda picked up in 2000 is now $80 on ebay)

To me nothing beats the feel of discovering and buying in store.
I just wonder if toy companies will even bother anymore,
given the pathetic nature of the beast these days.

John (Not Jon)

Reaction score
Whatnots still available!

After the phone lines being down for awhile, I got ahold of the store and they can take orders for the Whatnots over the phone again! All is not lost! (I know this isn't a big-picture victory for toy stores, but I'm glad those of us without Whatnots yet will be able to get one. And whatnot):excited: