Transformers Armada

DirthNader

Reaction score
A quote from In Living Color: Hated it.

It was a very bad movie with bad characters, a bad plot line, and even worse dialog.

I know that it's a cartoon and is essencially geared towards kids, but come on! It lacked any of the drama the original series had and in many ways was weak as far as character developement is concerned.

I think they should scrap it and preserve the good name of Trans Formers while they still can.

Or, they should follow the plotline of the new series put out by Dream Wave comics, the same people who are licenced for the Armada series. In it, they use the original characters set in current times..... I'm not very good at descrbing things, but it is a good comic and will be issuing it's fifth piece, hopefully this month.
This is the "TRANS FORMERS" title, not "TRANS FORMERS/ ARMADA", which by all accounts, appears to be similar to the cartoon.....

I'll leave it at that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
Well TF Armada premieres soon. Curiously, Entertainment Weekly hated the pilot...the pacing and animation they really disliked. I have yet to see any pictures or videos of it, but man...it has to be better than the recent Pokemon styled TF cartoon on Fox Kids.
Also, if its based on such a cool manga title by Dreamwave, its gotta be worth something(Unless the animation is too americanized and cheap)

Since I dont have cable, I'd like to know how this one is. Between farscape, Invader Zim, and Cartoon Network I am so missing out.
Well, I'm sorry to say this, but between Transformers and GI Joe, those are the two shows I just can't abide! Firstly, G. I. Joe glorifies war. You never see ANy memeber of the team hacked into bloody bits, screaming, howling (but I suppose if realism is what you want, Watch M*A*S*H* or Saving Private Ryan). As for Transformers, I, as an artist (well...kinda) and a cartoonist I am avidly against cartoons based on toys no matter how cool they are. It's a crying shame. All these cartoonists go starving, miserable, and with empty dreams in their heads. Even if you do sell a show created by a cartoonist (such as Ripping Friends, among others), it lasts a few weeks. I hate how much buisness there is in animation. However, that's the only real beef (mmmm... beef!) I have with those shows. Sorry If I agravated you.

And, Beaker... NEVER LISTEN TO ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY!!!!!!!!!! That is the nastiest publication ever created. They said that Lilo and Stitch (a personal favorite, and a great departure from Disney's lousy cookie cutter "Princess" movies) was witless....THEIR STUPID PUNS THAT INTRODUCE ARTICLES ARE FUNNY!?!?!? I hate them sooooooo much!!!

But I totally agree with you. Anime over here is largely over Americanised and cheap! If I want to partake in Anime I'll watch Akira, or Dragon Ball Z (In the original Japanese of course).

Once again. Appologies to Transformers fans (I liked the toy, atleast). I just think that there are too many bad choices on Saturday Mornings since the 70's!

beaker

Reaction score
>>>>And, Beaker... NEVER LISTEN TO ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY!!!!!!!!!! That is the nastiest publication ever created. They said that Lilo and Stitch (a personal favorite, and a great departure from Disney's lousy cookie cutter "Princess" movies) was witless....THEIR STUPID PUNS THAT INTRODUCE ARTICLES ARE FUNNY!?!?!? I hate them sooooooo much!!!<<<

Actually, Emperor's New Groove was the first full departure from what I call the horrific 90's line of "save the princess song and dance, evil emperor and two sidekicks" formula. While I liked Lion King(which had elements of it) I skipped out on Beauty in th ebeast, mulan, hercules, pochahontas, hunchback, etc. Lilo and Stitch does look interesting...Disney's first "holy cow this is astonishing" comeback film was Fantasia 2000. Man! great stuff.

But I totally agree with you. Anime over here is largely over Americanised and cheap! If I want to partake in Anime I'll watch Akira, or Dragon Ball Z (In the original Japanese of course).<<<

Well, you have to remember Dragon Ball Z, as far as American audiences is concerned, *is* the most mainstream anime out there replacing Pokemon and Digimon. DBZ, while chic and underground in the late 80' to mid 90's, is no wbeyond huge.
But Im a big fan of DBZ, but I can see how people lump it in with the cheap stuff on kid's channels. Akira on the other hand...I cannot say anough praise about this being the greatest anime epic ever. I just cant wait for Disney to release Spirited Away later this month, and finally show people how Disney animation wise has nothing on the Japanese.(PIXAR though, is untouchable)

Once again. Appologies to Transformers fans (I liked the toy, atleast). I just think that there are too many bad choices on Saturday Mornings since the 70's!

DirthNader

Reaction score
Speaking of departures from the norm (i.e. Disney films that didn't seem so Disney...ish), did anyone like Atlantis?

I thought it was way cooel.....umm....it was really nifty. Sure, it was a take off from Stargate, but it still had a good plot line and a couple of good action sequences.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Beaker: I say that DBZ and all the other DB's are MUCH MUCH MUCHA better than the Americanised over-edited over-translated, nothing but fight scenes stuff they show over there. In Japan, the show is much much more twisted than here. I saw one with Hitler coming back from the dead to take over the world...never pass by the censors here!

Dirth Nader: I liked Atlantis, (though hardly my fav) and I loved Vinny in it. Funny stuff, the right balance between comedy and adventure.

beaker

Reaction score
Oh yeah, Im much more a fan of the Japanese edits of DBZ.
But animation wise...well, that's a different story:wink: DBZ in the last few years has gotten so huge and mainstream it's amazing.
Though, when people say they are into anime sometimes all they mention is say DBZ, the pocket monster type kiddy shows, and whatever is on Cartoon Network. I offer to them a whole world out there that is outside of tv bounds anime wise(Like Neon Genesis Evangelion, the coolest never gonna see on American tv anime OVA series)

Atlantis...loved some of the visuals. Wasnt blown away by it, but did like it much better than the film I had sen earlier that day: Tomb Raider(thank goodness for sneak ins!)

Drtooth

Reaction score
I feel the same way about sneaking into movies, when it came to Dinosaur (as I said on the CGI post)! The ffilm I saw before it was Flintstones two, and I still liked it better than Dinosaur! At least they didn't cast the darn thing five minutes after they finished.

And I am SOOOOOOO sick of Poket-monster card game shows. I don't care who does them.. they're so dirrivitave (sp) and pointless! Do we really need fifteen Pokemon Knockoffs? I can't even stomach the original! I hate it soooo much, I (almost) started a Team Rocket collection because I sympathised with the villains so much! I always wished they kill that Pickachu thing!

beaker

Reaction score
>>>Do we really need fifteen Pokemon Knockoffs? I can't even stomach the original! I hate it soooo much, I (almost) started a Team Rocket collection because I sympathised with the villains so much! I always wished they kill that Pickachu thing!<<<

Pikachu, as a stand alone little cute mascot would be fine...but how how insulting all those pocket monster, card 'anime' kiddy garbage is. It is pure garbage, and it's what has kept the 'Oh anime? that's kiddy stuff' misnomer in place. I cant even begin to name all the pokemon rips and takes. (And remember, Japan has a bazillion of em more than they show here) But get ready...soon Fox Kids and WB plans to unleash even more! Least they got the heralded return of TMNT in 2003.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just hope Kirby isn't bad! I like the videogame, and I usually like video game cartoons (though basically that contradicts with my anti-merchandise driven cartoons). It has a lot of potential for being pretty good, but a lot of potential for stinkin' up the joint!

As for TMNT, I can't wait. I just hope they don't make the same mistake that they did five years ago when they made the live action Turtles. That mistake was named Venus DeMilo! (am I right? I only saw two eps, and after she came along, I gave up!)

beaker

Reaction score
>>>As for TMNT, I can't wait. I just hope they don't make the same mistake that they did five years ago when they made the live action Turtles. That mistake was named Venus DeMilo! (am I right? I only saw two eps, and after she came along, I gave up!)

Well I saw fighting Foodons and Kirby in previews...and I was pretty mortified:wink:

TMNT...oh yeah. I dig the character designs(so far the figure schematics and prototypes look way too old school) and cannot wait for it. The live TMNT was pretty...well I dont know. But now, no matter time to bring em back! I see Fox being a big part int he heralded return of not only the Muppets, but TMNT as well!