traveling episodes

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've noticed that when TV shows have episodes where the cast travels, and the episodes are shot on location, the episodes are usually either multi-part episodes or longer than usual (and split into multi-part episodes later on). Does anybody know if there are any specific reasons for this?

Could it be that the transportation costs are too much for the budget of just one epsiode, so they are two parts to make up for the cost? Or could the shows crew be doing this as an excuse to stay in a certain location for a longer amount of time? Or could the writers just think it's too boring to ahve the characters travel and not show off as much of the area as possible?

There are some exceptions to this, of course. The Brady Bunch episode where the cast went to Kings Island was only one part, and only a half-hour (unless it was originally a full hour and 30 minutes were cut from syndication). And there was also a Full House epsiode where Danny takes the cast to hawiai (or maybe it was some other tropical island) which only lasted one half-hour episode.

Beakerfan

Reaction score
I don't know a definite reason, but I think it's possibly because going on a trip is a somewhat big event for the cast of a television show, and the writers have a lot to put in to the story of that trip. Also, it just seems a little weird to be like one week they're on a three-week trip to Hawaii, and the next week three weeks have gone by and they're back to the same old routine.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Yeah, usually show focus on one character and a subplot at a time. But theres more to cover when everybody has a plat of something to do.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think that all started when the cast of I Love Lucy went to Hollywood, then they went over to Europe and visited like London, Paris, Italy, the Hymalayias...