Tribute to Jim at the Center for Puppetry Arts, Atlanta

peyjenk

Reaction score
Okay, ladies and gents, I'm on spring break here in the good ol' South, and today I had the opportunity to visit the Center for Puppetry Arts in Atlanta, Georgia. And it was AMAZING. In their permanent collection, they have original Link and Strangepork puppets as well as a full-body Skeksis (with the Skeksis sword) and one of the Labyrinth goblins. Needless to say, I got my picture taken with all of them. :smile: I don't know if you are actually supposed to take pictures in the museum, but there was nobody around so we pulled out the camera and did it quickly...

Anyway...

They are working on a Jim Henson wing to the museum, and they have an incredible special exhibit to garner interest. In the special exhibit, they have original puppets of the La Choy Dragon, Ernie, Rowlf, Dr. Teeth, the Swedish Chef, three of the Dog City characters, and one of the poser Kermits. There is also a wonderful video tribute to Jim, and a beautiful display of the other puppeteers. This display is a ring of photos (Carroll, Frank, Richard, Fran, Karen, Louise, Marty Robinson, Jerry, Kathy, Brian, Kevin... and maybe one or two more I'm forgetting) around a picture of Jim and Kermit. Unfortunately, there was a big sing proclaiming "Absolutely No Photography" at the entrance to the special exhibit, so I didn't get any pictures of this stuff. :frown:

The museum has tons of awesome non-Muppet stuff, too, but the special exhibit is worth the entrance fee itself. If anyone gets a chance to go, DO IT!

Of course, I had to buy something Muppety at the gift shop, so I bought a postcard of Kermit and Piggy as Rhett and Scarlett (Atlanta, you know) and a stuffed Red Fraggle.

It was a beautiful exhibit and a great tribute to Jim. Quite possibly the highlight of my spring break.