Truth commercial: Muppets & smoking

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
truth.com is brilliant yet typical marketing. Brilliant in the sense that they've really gotten ahold of what viral marketing is and have harnessed its power to work for them. Typical in the sense that, as is with all marketing, perception is everyhing, and facts actually mean very little.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they also smoke on Leave It To Beaver and the Andy Griffith Show? Didn't, like, EVERYBODY smoke ('cept the kids of course) on both of those shows? Of course, the Muppets will get a more emotional reaction, so that's what they'll target. I don't like it either, but there you go.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well it's a little different. Leave it to Beaver was on TV before the big discovery that linked cigarettes to cancer. Everyone smoked, it was normal.

This Truth commercial was complaining that tobacco companies promised not to market to kids after the discovery, yet they were still placing them in "family films." That's why they're attacking The Muppet Movie. (Though again, I didn't think it was fair). :smile:

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
I'm not a smoker, and never have been, but I really don't like the truth.com crowd. Never have. They just seem to me like a bunch of snotty college kids who go around causing disruptions and annoying people, because in their opinion they're unquestionably right, and how stupid are you that you can't see how smart and right they are? After all, they're in college, so duh they're like smart already, okay?

AngryEwok

Reaction score
Well, Truth's approach hasn't changed through the years, they've always been disruptive and gone for the shock factor... they're hoping that by aggressively targetting the character of Tobacco executives, that is, by making them out to be rich and racist and just plain Darth Vader-ishly evil, that people will stop buying the product.

I'm sort of split on the whole thing... we've seen how terrible smoking can destroy the body, so part of me is inclined to give Truth a free pass to say whatever in order to save people's lives. On the flip side, the way they project "facts" reminds me of the way the "Loose Change" film does.

But again, I'm biased. My beautiful fiance is a smoker, and every time she takes a drag off of one of those things, I can only think that more and more days, weeks, months, and years are slowly burning away from her and everyone who wants to be a part of her life.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I just revisited the truth homepage (this time, on my high speed connection) and it took forever to load. I noticed it is not available on You Tube, so I wonder who will see this ad anyway. Haven't caught it on TV yet.

It appears as though the "artist" would rather mug for the camera than reveal any of the many real truths about the repercussions of smoking. The same seems true for the hi-concept, slow-loading website. Bad art over half-baked substance. :zany:

It doesn't just disappoint me as a Muppet fan. It really irks me as a designer as well. People got paid for this hacky stuff. :smirk:

As an ex-smoker and one who has lost loved ones to smoking-related ailments - - I do enjoy seeing the harassment of tobacco companies. But if there is any way to yank the funding away from these truth people and give it to a more useful program (run by people with integrity), I'll sign up today. :attitude:

Something about this just really gets to me. He he.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It appears as though the "artist" would rather mug for the camera than reveal any of the many real truths about the repercussions of smoking. The same seems true for the hi-concept, slow-loading website. Bad art over half-baked substance. :zany: It doesn't just disappoint me as a Muppet fan. It really irks me as a designer as well. People got paid for this hacky stuff. :smirk:
Question. Do the antidrug commercials with the poorly drawn dog and potato lump person get on your nerves for the same reason? Cuz they sure as shell do that to me.

As an ex-smoker and one who has lost loved ones to smoking-related ailments - - I do enjoy seeing the harassment of tobacco companies.
I would too, if it wasn't staged. Big tobacco does these ads themselves to put a cute and cuddley, "Nah! We ain't trying to kill you so we can bilk you out of money for a rediculous addiction. We actually care about you" face on them putting arsenic and stuff to make the tobacco taste even more like heated mud.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Big tobacco does these ads themselves to put a cute and cuddley, "Nah! We ain't trying to kill you so we can bilk you out of money for a rediculous addiction. We actually care about you" face on them putting arsenic and stuff to make the tobacco taste even more like heated mud.
The only "truth" ad I really did like was the "Glass Popsicle" one. "There's no such thing as a safe glass popsicle." That brought out a morbid laugh.

The potato man and dog squiggly cartoon doesn't seem effective even though it does describe a lot of people I know. And I live down the street from a licensed Cannabis Club. Not to get political on the subject (I could really care less about the legality) it does attract a bad element to my neighborhood...and the smell. Just never could stand that green stench. :grouchy:

So many of these PSAs are a waste of money, (tax payer money in many cases) and they don't seem to do much, if any, good. :zany:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The only "truth" ad I really did like was the "Glass Popsicle" one. "There's no such thing as a safe glass popsicle." That brought out a morbid laugh.

So many of these PSAs are a waste of money, (tax payer money in many cases) and they don't seem to do much, if any, good. :zany:
I remember the Glass Popsicle one! That got such a reaction when I watched it with a group!

I do think they stopped making so many PSAs because they decided they weren't having an impact. But I think it's a shame, they gave the impression that our society has values and actually cares about people. Now the face of Television (and hence a reflection on our society) is much darker.