1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Truth commercial: Muppets & smoking

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Vic Romano, May 8, 2007.

1. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Ditto. Why smoking organizations even used The Muppets at all--and then would have the gall to say that The Muppets are solely for children--is horrendous.
  2. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Active Member

And if you really wanna split hairs The Muppet movie isn't the only "kid" (at least in the mind of the truth people) movie to feature a little, very little, smoking. I was wacthing Ratioutee (I'm sure I didn't spell that right) and I'm pretty sure I saw that one guy who clams he "killed a man with his thumb" have a cigeratte in his hands, Muppets from Space had that guard smoking til Pepe says "smoking is very bad for you okay," and again if you really want to split hairs, there are tons of characters that are smoking tobacco though a pipe, that old guy from Little Merimaid comes to mind, and that came out after the Muppet movie.
  3. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

And Sesame's own Workshop producers condemned Cookie for his Allistair Cookie sketch, don't forget!
  4. Krazedmuppet

Krazedmuppet Active Member

The Great Mouse Detective EVERYONE DOES good or bad
  5. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

What does that have to do with anything?
  6. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Even though smoke does not billow from the pipe at all. He was basically just chomping it... then chomping on it.

I understand the anti-smoking fervor, but they are clearly trying to blame things that aren't related all the while remaining oblivious to the true problem.

You know, like everything else in a "kiddy medium."
  7. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

*is reminded now of that huge character crossover that essentially was meant as an anti-drug PSA, Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue*
  8. unclematt

unclematt Active Member

They used the Muppets cause they look at them as a kid company and kid entertainment. They were trying to make an example of the cigarette company not of the Muppets.
  9. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

But in effect, they did just that.
  10. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

The fact that in The Great Mouse Detective, pretty much all of the characters smoke, and the fact that someone stated that The Muppet Movie isn't the only supposedly "kids" movie to have smoking in it.
  11. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

True, but TMM was original, whereas TGMD was a nod to Sherlock Holmes.
  12. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Well, technically, The Muppet Movie was a nod to Wizard of Oz, but... :)
  13. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Not really. It may have had some of the premise derived from that film, but TGMD is a verbatum scene for scene representation of Sherlock Holmes.
  14. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Yeah, I know The Muppet Movie isn't really based on Wizard of Oz, there's just similarities.

The Great Mouse Detective was one of my favorite Disney movies, by the way.
  15. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Ah. Thanks for the clarification.
  16. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

It syncs up even better than Dark Side of the Moon! Wocka Wocka!

Anyway, there is a thread just like this in the General Discussion area, about cartoons not being able to smoke anymore, including re-editing old cartoons to reflect that.

And what hooey that is. Why should everything be censored from reality just to please a small percentage? I'm not talking hard core pron or anything like that... but people smoke, people drink, people gamble. Why not portray reality accurately? or as accurate as possible? Wouldn't you think some dirty, dusty old roughhouse regular smokes? Of course they would.

It's as rediculous as having cowboys go to bars where they only serve Milk or sassparilla.

take a good look at the older cartoons. Cigarettes, gun play, drinking... it's all there. And it adds depth. Not saying anything needs this, but to condemn it for existing is rediculous.

Especially that new rule about smoking not being in any movie that isn't PG 13 and up. Redunkulous.
  17. Krazedmuppet

Thanks SS ;)
    As he said, that movie came out in the late 80‘s, after TMM, and was a Disney movie. This is also one of my favorite Disney movies, but rip off or not, this was more of a childrens movie that TMM. Look up the clip from that movie “let me be good to you” and you'll see. I was surprised they put this movie to DVD because it had all that and the ban now on cartoon characters smoking, wonder if they edited it out... anyone know? (they cant even show the cartoon Camel mascot from Marbro anymore)
  18. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

19. Krazedmuppet

20. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Actually there was a rumor that The Muppet Movie syncs up with Nirvana's Nevermind album. Take that as you will. I've never done it and don't really see it. Who knows? :cool: