TUGS

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Now, lots of people here know that I'm a huge fan of Thomas & Friends. What you may not know is that I'm also a huge fan of a short-lived sister series of Thomas that, while it may not have lasted long, certainly left a huge legacy in the department of animated TV series and pushed the boundaries of what models could do.

I'm talking about TUGS.

Anyone who's seen Season 5 of T&F knows that it's full of action, adventure, thrills, and even spooks. Take all that and, instead of having it on a railway, give it to some boats at work at a harbor - Bigg City Harbor. The Star Tugs and the Z-Stacks are battling for supremacy and every episode was full of things you loved from Thomas - the amazing models, the awe-inspiring sets - but added to that was a lot more action, voice actors, and some pretty heartfelt storylines.

TUGS only lasted for 13 episodes, due to the bankruptcy of Clearwater Features. David Mitton and Robert Cardona, the co-creators of the show, parted ways - Mitton returned to Thomas and Cardona created the highly successful successor to TUGS, Theodore Tugboat. This show had less action and was definitely more kid-friendly, but the warmth and heart was still there and it lasted for an impressive five seasons. Ask any Canadian about it and be prepared for a wave of nostalgia.

At any rate, Thomas, TUGS, and Theodore Tugboat were an amazing trio of shows, but TUGS is certainly the odd one out. The annals of history obscured this short-lived show and it was not until the internet picked up that new fans came along and with all the episodes on YouTube, TUGS is actually bigger than ever. A few years ago, some fans from Sodor Island Forums even purchased a good many of the original models and created the Star Tugs Trust. They do regular "tours" of the models and if you're ever in the region, check them out, and send me pictures.

The point I'm trying to make is that TUGS was an amazing show. The models were gigantic as far as models go, and putting this show together really pushed the boundaries of what you can do when you put your mind to it. Add in well-crafted storylines and a lot of oomph and you have one of the greatest series of all time... if only it had gotten that second season.

And if there are any fans out there - @LittleJerry92 @mr3urious - someone help me convince @gavry3 that this is really a great show and he needs to branch out from watching nothing but Henson-related stuff (Golden Girls doesn't count).

This.... is TUGS.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I've actually only seen the first episode. The filming quality does feel like season 3 of Thomas in a way.

I've been trying to find the TV versions of episodes since I heard the VHS versions are edited.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I've actually only seen the first episode. The filming quality does feel like season 3 of Thomas in a way.

I've been trying to find the TV versions of episodes since I heard the VHS versions are edited.
OK so detailed explanation time. Four episodes - Sunshine, Pirate, Munitions, and Regatta - were released on VHS as 20 minute episodes. When they were broadcast on television, they were cut down to 15 minutes. However, all the other episodes were all only 15 minutes of fun and excitement.

So if the episode is only 15 minutes long and it's not one of the above, you're getting the whole thing. If it's one of the above, watch the full 20 minutes. It's not hard to find them but if you need links I can grab 'em for ya.

gravy

Reaction score
stop. you will not change my mind but tugs just doesnt interest me. this thread is now closed

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Please do.

I encourage you to watch them in the order I've presented them here - production order, not airing order. I feel it fits the series better this way.

stop. you will not change my mind but tugs just doesnt interest me. this thread is now closed

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I friggin' LOVE that meme! :laugh:

And thanks for the links! I'll be sure to save those....