1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

TV Alert: "A New York Christmas to Remember" honoring Jane Henson airs Christmas Eve

Discussion in 'Family Worlds' started by Phillip, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Christmas Eve watch "A New York Christmas to Remember" at 11:35 eastern, 10:35 central on CBS. Check local listings for times in your area.

Throughout this hour-long special, Regis Philbin will proclaim Biblical stories intercut with the puppet performances of Heather and Cheryl Henson. Jane Henson, who died this year, had a long history with puppetry and while studying theology was taken with the medieval three-dimensional Nativity scenes. She creatively blended these into a new format using puppets. Jane’s daughter, Heather, brought this to life, and along with her sister, Cheryl, the puppets have toured and performed the Nativity Story.

If you saw "A New York Christmas to Remember" honoring Jane Henson, please "like" this post and share your thoughts below.

2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I've been watching the special since it began... and mere words cannot begin to describe just how blown away I am by this, it's very much like watching a Nativity scene come to life before my eyes; the puppetry is absolutely stunning and beautiful, I think Jim would have been very much proud of Jane's vision.

dwayne1115 and Phillip like this.
  3. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

I thought it was fantastic! I just hope the atheists weren't turned off by all the Nativity stuff.

4. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

As an atheist, I would have watched it as part of the lore and culture surrounding Christmas. Unfortunately, Atlanta's CBS affiliate broadcast a local church service instead. How disappointing. [​IMG]

5. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

Kim, they aired it at midnight when I recorded it.

6. Slackbot

Aw, crud, I could have seen it after all? Drat!

7. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Don't feel too bad, I missed it too because I went to sleep around 11:30 local time. Besides, it'll probably surface on youtube or toughpigs or the Mindset next week.

8. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I watched the first of it, and was blown away by the music and the puppetry. It was a little out of the box for some of the things Henson does, and has done in the past, but I think both Jim, and Jane would have been very impressed with it.

9. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

So I read that Jane Henson created these puppets and they've been doing it for the last few years, only now actually broadcasting a performance. Was this fact known among Muppet fans? I was surprised to hear about Jane creating some puppets. Interesting fact.

I'd say it was okay. Of course I was tired when it was on, and I normally go to bed earlier on Christmas Eve. But I got through all of it. Enjoyed the tribute section. Was the special (not counting the tributes and other obviously pre-recorded stuff) performed live?

10. vettech28

vettech28 Well-Known Member

All the puppetry was beautiful as always and it's a wonderful thing that Heather and Cheryl are keeping their parents' legacy alive while celebrating the story of Christmas at the same time. I think both Jane and Jim would have been proud of this production and their children for sharing it.

11. D'Snowth

Yes, I also liked the brief little segment they had with Cheryl, Heather, and others talking about Jane's inspiration for this story, noting that having five children herself, the miracle of birth was particularly near and dear to her heart.

As pointed out, yeah, it was a little out of the box as far as Henson goes, however, I'm guessing Henson was still involved with the process of putting this thing together, the credits were hard to read, but I think I saw Jason Weber's name during the credits, and he's the president of the Creature Shop.

12. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Yeah. I didn't know how much of the Henson family was involved in puppetry and I can see the difference from that type of performance since I was expecting Muppet versions of the characters, but I know that was more of Jim's thing and I guess other members of the Henson family use a different kind of puppetry. Either way, it's really great. Kind of reminiscent of those guest puppeteer performances that they used to have on The Muppet Show.

13. D'Snowth

I honestly don't think it would have worked well, or would have been as effective if it was done with Muppet-style puppets.

14. Cookie Chris

Cookie Chris Member

I recorded the program on my DVR, and I managed to watch it last night. I didn't know what to expect from the puppetry during the program, but I sure knew the puppetry wouldn't resemble the Muppets since Cheryl and Heather Henson own the Jim Henson Company, and not the Muppets. I was indeed blown away by the puppetry, which reminded me of the puppetry of Bruce Schwartz. Even more amazing was the interviews of the Henson and the Mary and Joseph puppeteers, and that puppetry was used in churches; I felt very glad that Jane Henson fulfilled an item on her bucket list and brought back a nearly forgotten art-form in a place you least expect it. The speeches were inspiring and very self-reflecting to me personally, and the music from the choirs and orchestra was very captivating. Merry Christmas to you all and a Happy New Year!

Phillip likes this.
  15. D'Snowth

Puppetry is often used in churches, mainly in youth ministries. Back in 2005, I was asked to puppeteer for Vacation Bible School, they had a wise-cracking construction barrel puppet named Darrel the Barrel, who I played every night that week, much to the delight of the kiddos.

16. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I was starting a puppet ministry at the church I was going to at the time. To start I had my lead puppet step behind the pulpit and introduce himself to the entire church. After he did his bit I stood to a clapping ovation. It was a huge success and I was told by several folks I had a lot of talent. One person even suggested that the Puppet become the next pastor.

17. MelissaY1

MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

I watched it when I came home Christmas night on my DVR, and I thought it was absolutely beautiful. I thought the puppetry was amazing and loved the little mannerisms and movements the puppeteers gave to them, that they still had personality even though we didn't hear them speak. Like the segment where Mary goes to visit her cousin who is also pregnant, and she puts her hand on her belly and then they hug, etc. Absolutely amazing.

I also thought the giant rod puppets flying over the church that Heather helped perform was also breath taking. What a wonderful tribute to Jane and the Henson legacy in general.

Phillip, dwayne1115 and The Count like this.
  18. Slackbot

Melissa, I'm coming over to your place to watch it with you. Shall I bring chips and sodas? [​IMG]

MelissaY1 likes this.
  19. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

If anyone has a high-quality version of Jane Henson's "A New York Christmas to Remember", please start a private conversation with me. We're looking to add this on Muppet Central Radio.

Muppet fan 123 and dwayne1115 like this.
  20. D'Snowth

Any chance this beautiful masterpiece will be repeated this year?