TV Alert: Brian Jay Jones on The Tavis Smiley Show October 18

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brian Jay Jones, author of Jim Henson: The Biography is scheduled to appear Friday evening on The Tavis Smiley Show. This program airs on PBS in many (but not all) US markets. Check local times in your area for availability.

Watch the show and let us know your thoughts on the appearance.

Discuss "Jim Henson: The Biography" book and audiobook with fans. Save off the regular price, order "Jim Henson: The Biography" on hardback, paperback and eBook and "Jim Henson: The Biography" audiobook on CD.

If you saw this appearance, please "like" this message and share your thoughts below.

Cookie Chris

Reaction score
I recorded the show on my DVR, and it was definitely a more informative televised interview than his interviews on Today and The Daily Show. Tavis Smiley definitely showed his interest, and made me think how The Muppet Show contributed to 1970s culture. The lasting effect was Smiley's last question, "Would Jim have used CGI?", and Brian gave a splendid answer, "The answer is not would Jim have used CGI, but what would he have done with it." Heaven knows what opportunities CGI would have provided for Jim if he was still alive, and I'm pretty sure he would have used it, but still wanted it to look authentic. I would say James Cameron (and Pixar) is today's Jim Henson, but Henson, along with the writers, would have came up with more creative stories to advance the barriers of technology, as well as the storytelling format. Overall, a very good interview, and I'm reading the book as we speak!