TV Alert: Jim Henson's Turkey Hollow on Lifetime November 21, 2015

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In 1968, Jim Henson and Jerry Juhl imagined the world of Turkey Hollow, Saturday night the world gets to see it for the first time. On the Lifetime network is the world premiere of "Jim Henson's Turkey Hollow", a captivating story originally developed more than 35 years ago. Watch the show at 8|7 central this Saturday and let us know your thoughts.

Jim Henson's Turkey Hollow will be released on DVD this Tuesday November 24 and will continue to re-air throughout Thanksgiving week on Lifetime.

ABOUT TURKEY HOLLOW

Just in time for Thanksgiving, Lifetime joins forces with The Jim Henson Company on the Lifetime Original Movie, "Jim Henson’s Turkey Hollow," starring Academy Award® and Golden Globe® Winner Mary Steenburgen ("Orange is the New Black," "Last Man on Earth"), Jay Harrington ("Benched," "Better Off Ted") and Grammy® and SAG winner Chris "Ludacris" Bridges ("Fast and Furious"). The live-action family-friendly film is based on original characters and story written in 1968 by creative mastermind Jim Henson and his longtime writing partner, Jerry Juhl ("The Muppet Show," "Fraggle Rock").

“As we all know, Jim Henson was a one-of-a-kind visionary whose works have entertained and sparked the imagination of millions of people across the globe for generations,” said Tanya Lopez, SVP, Original Movies, A+E Networks. “It is a true honor to partner with The Jim Henson Company and be able to continue his legacy with this wonderful project.”

“Turkey Hollow is an unproduced gem from our Company’s archives. I have fond memories from my childhood of my father planning and developing this production. He was delighted by the idea of magical creatures living in the woods and was excited to portray them in a more realistic way than his other well-known puppet characters,” said Lisa Henson, CEO of The Jim Henson Company and daughter of Jim Henson.

The movie follows the story of the Emmerson family, recently divorced father Ron (Harrington) and his kids Tim (Graham Verchere) and Annie (Genevieve Buechner), as they head to the quaint town of Turkey Hollow to spend a rustic Thanksgiving at the farm of Ron’s eccentric Aunt Cly (Steenburgen). Surprised by the lack of internet and technology in Turkey Hollow, Tim and Annie soon find themselves swept up in tracking the “Howling Hoodoo,” an elusive monster that, up until now, Turkey Hollow residents have long dismissed as mere legend. The Thanksgiving holiday threatens to take a bleak turn when a scheming neighbor frames Aunt Cly for turkey theft, but the fractured family teams up with some surprising new friends to save the day. Ludacris appears as an on-screen narrator in the film.

Produced by The Jim Henson Company, "Jim Henson’s Turkey Hollow" is Executive Produced by Lisa Henson and Halle Stanford (The Jim Henson Company’s EVP of Children’s Entertainment), as well as Michael Taylor of Multiple Media Entertainment. Kirk Thatcher ("It’s a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie") is directing. Christopher Baldi and Tim Burns wrote the script based on a story by Jim Henson, Jerry Juhl and Kirk Thatcher. The Burbank, CA location of Jim Henson’s Creature Shop designed and fabricated the creatures of Jim Henson's Turkey Hollow.

If you saw Turkey Hollow, please like this post and share your thoughts below.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
This movie was pretty darn good. I like the fact that Jason Hopely, one of the creators of Mr. Meaty, worked on this. I liked seeing Kirk as Uncle Ned. The line about Honey Boo Boo being a myth was my favorite line.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
A little advanced notice would have been nice.

pezbalubah

Reaction score
Great puppets, terrible terrible show. Every frame without puppets was painful. Kirk Thatcher dragged Jim and Jerry's name in the mud on this one. For everybody that complains about ABC's Muppets, be thankful that this guy isn't writing or directing the classic characters any longer. He is reality show judge material at best.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A little advanced notice would have been nice.
The show re-airs later tonight on Lifetime (check local listings) and will be shown multiple times throughout the week. So there are multiple times to still see it on TV. The DVD release is also on Tuesday. Check it out and let us know your thoughts.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Saw Turkey Hollow and I'm satisfied with it. This is meant as a holiday specific special/TV movie, but I wouldn't put it in the same category as The Tale of The Bunny Picnic or The Christmas Toy; Turkey Hollow struck me as more of a special that could have been from the Jim Henson Hour or StoryTeller era. Good mix of a live-action storyline with judicious use of puppet monster creations. Would have liked it if the monsters were a smidge more prominent, but the whole thing worked.
Also, a touch of parental care with the youngins watching regarding some of Sheriff Grover's dialogue when directed at Aunt Cly. It's as if the guy has Freudian tongue.

Since Kirk Thatcher as Uncle Ned was a silent cameo I didn't notice it, thanks to others here for pointing that out.
I give Turkey Hollow 4 out of 5 gobbla-gobbla toorkees.

And what made it extra-special was that I caught the second half of MCC which aired before Turkey Hollow, so check your listings for when both air again during the next few days. :smile:

animalrescuer

Reaction score
It was okay, I would have liked it if the monsters were featured more throughout the movie. I could definitely do without the "narrator" bits. If this movie had been made in the 60s, I'm certain that Kermit would have been the narrator, I would have preferred it that way. I did see Kirk Thatcher's picture in the movie. That was cool! Mary Steenburgen's character, I thought was pretty deadpan, I don't know if she was written that was or what.

MuppetGuy75

Reaction score
I'm not one to bash or bad talk any Henson project because let's face it... Jim was the man. He fueled a generation with imagination and wonder. I think the idea of Turkey Hollow is great but the final production lacked a lot. It really should have been a much shorter presentation and not 2 hours. It just lost steam before it could really get it. There are some wonderful scenes with the monsters and they are really cute so I can't figure out why they didn't give them more screen time? Besides that... the movie wasn't a total train wreck but it's no masterpiece either!

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Would anyone be willing to put the promo with the monsters showing how to make the best pie on YouTube? I don't think that's gonna be on the DVD.