1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

TV Alert: New Sesame Street cast member Mando debuts on GMA May 10, 2013

Discussion in 'Sesame Appearances' started by Phillip, May 10, 2013.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Sesame Workshop has announced that the new human cast member of Sesame Street will debut this morning on Good Morning America on ABC. The Sesame Street Muppets will be there as well. Tune in and let us know your thoughts on Sesame Street's newest resident.

Here is a behind-the-scenes look at the auditioning and call back process...

If you saw the GMA appearance, please "like" this message.

2. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

wow im excited too see which one of these people it is!

3. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

And the new cast member is Mando (Ismael Cruz Cordova)...

[​IMG]

It's time for fans of "Sesame Street" to roll out the welcoming mat.

A new neighbor, Armando, is moving into the neighborhood and he's bringing a dose of cultural diversity along with him.

The popular PBS children's show announced today on "Good Morning America" that Armando, a writer, will make his debut Sept. 16, when "Sesame Street" premieres its 44th season on PBS KIDS.

"Mando," as he will be known to his new neighbors like Cookie Monster, Elmo, Bert and Ernie, will join Maria (played by Sonia Manzano), Luis (Emilio Delgado) and Muppets™ Rosita and Ovejita (Carmen Osbahr) as part of the show's bilingual community.

Armando will be played by actor Ismael Cruz Cordova, a native of Puerto Rico who holds a BFA from NYU's Tisch School of the Arts and has starred in shows like "The Good Wife."

Cordova won the role in a high-profile search by "Sesame Street" for a new character actor that began in August 2012 when hundreds of hopefuls came out to the show's first-ever open casting call held in New York City in their search for a new, diverse character.

"I am honestly still in shock," Cordova said in a release from "Sesame Street" announcing his new role. "I am incredibly proud to be a part of a show that acknowledges and celebrates diversity so whole-heartedly and am so grateful to have been given the opportunity to represent Latino-Americans on 'Sesame Street.'"

"Sesame Street" fans can get to know "Mando" this summer, before his premiere, and in the fall, once he's moved onto "Sesame Street," through the show's Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.

MikaelaMuppet and Muppetgirl1 like this.
  4. JayBleu

JayBleu New Member

Why would you ask for opinions of the auditions after an actor is chosen? I'll wait to see how well he is received by the audience now. The selection decision has already been made. Geesh, if they wanted input about an actor, they should have asked about the new person selected to do Elmo's voice. That would have been wiser, before posting the video on youtube that really had people questioning THAT decision for Sesame Street.

5. muppetlover123

Wow that sounds like a cool new guy.

6. misspiggy5260

misspiggy5260 Well-Known Member

The new puppet is cute :D

7. muppetlover123

Who's the new puppet?

8. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

Just saw it this morning! He's so nice!

9. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

What new puppet? I see nowhere that it says there'll be a new puppet...:confused:

10. Collgoff

Collgoff Well-Known Member

Wow a new guy on Sesame Street cool.

11. JonnyBMuppetMan

JonnyBMuppetMan Well-Known Member

If Muppet Central is the "they" you're referring to, we did discuss a potential recast for Elmo on another thread.

With that said, I agree that I'll wait and see how this guy blends in. He's got a nice character name, so he should be a fine, if not highly anticipated, addition to the cast.

Bridget and Muppet fan 123 like this.
  12. misspiggy5260

misspiggy5260 Well-Known Member

Mando!

13. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

The guy has Muppety hair, a Muppety name and a fun warm personality. I like him already.

jvcarroll and Muppet fan 123 like this.
  14. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

It seems like Mando will be a great fit on the Street. He's got the voice, charm, looks, and ability to connect to the audience. I bet he'll be part of the next generation of SS adults with Chris and Leela (and maybe Alan and Gina too), whenever Bob, Gordon, Susan, Maria, and Luis depart.

15. Erine81981

Erine81981 Well-Known Member

I can't wait to watch the show with him. Maybe we'll get more stuff like longer story archs (maybe :()

16. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Given the fact that they have only 26 episodes a season and they're re-run in no specific order, I don't think that's likely.

17. mo

mo Well-Known Member

He seems pretty nice...I love his hair!

Pianogirl likes this.
  18. jcnegron

jcnegron Well-Known Member

I am sorry, but they chose the guy with the worst Spanish. Actually all the candidates in the callback (in the second video) had perfect accent, as good as native speakers, except for one. And the only one who sounded like as he had to learn it in school very late in life is the one they chose. That makes me think that the whole audition was rigged, they had already chosen this guy and sent him to learn Spanish in advance. He might be from Puerto Rico but he sounds like he never actually lived there.

...On the other hand he sounds genuinely excited in his first day at the studio. So who knows. I wish him success.

19. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

He actually stated somewhere (I believe GMA) that he was a native Spanish speaker and when he came here, shows like Sesame Street helped teach him Spanish.

And I'm sorry, but does he need to speak in nothing but Spanish sentences to prove he knows the language? In the video above, he literally says two words in Spanish. Is that not enough?

20. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Perfect agreement. The motive isn't teaching kids Rosetta Stone quality Spanish. It's teaching single words and phrases the kids will mess up by saying wrong anyway that's a toe in the water. Their motives are to teach about Hispanic culture, maybe a few simple words here and there... he doesn't need to be so fluent that he can't speak English so good.