1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 47
    Sesame Street's 47th season officially began Saturday January 7 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

TV Alert: Oscar the Grouch on The Ellen Show Tuesday January 10, 2017

Discussion in 'Sesame Appearances' started by kathy26, Jan 10, 2017.

1. kathy26

kathy26 Member

Oscar makes an appearance on the ellen show today here is the 2 minute video

cahuenga and WhoseLineFan like this.
  2. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for letting us know and posting the clip! This has yet to air in many parts of the country.

WhoseLineFan likes this.
  3. kathy26

kathy26 Member

you're welcome

4. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

I'm still constantly blown away by how flawless Eric's performances of other performer's characters are. Between Bert, Guy Smiley, Oscar and especially Grover, I just totally forget that it's not the original people performing them.

Anyway the appearance, or at least the two minutes that i've seen (it hasn't aired yet where I am) seems pretty funny. And Ellen seems to really respect the characters whenever they're on, unlike those people over on Good Morning America.

Blue Frackle and cahuenga like this.
  5. Erine81981

Erine81981 Well-Known Member

Can't wait to watch it when it comes on today!

6. WhoseLineFan

WhoseLineFan Well-Known Member

So again no Caroll? What is up with that?

7. Pig's Laundry

Caroll Spinney just isn't doing many appearances outside the show anymore. No big deal. That's the reason he has understudies, so he doesn't have to do everything.

cahuenga and WhoseLineFan like this.
  8. WhoseLineFan

Oh really? That's a bummer.

9. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I think he also had some sort of injury or has been recovering from one that's prevented him from physically operating the puppets.

cahuenga likes this.
  10. Pig's Laundry

Well, I know he had suffered a fall at some point last year, so that's probably it.

11. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Eric as Oscar this is one I'm going to have to really get use to i suppose it was a good appearance though. I love that Grouch.

12. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

So that's Eric? I noticed the difference in his voice, but I thought that was just because Carroll's Oscar voice has changed of late as well. It's so hard to tell sometime.

13. WhoseLineFan

Eric sounds just like Caroll!

14. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Carroll has said he will do this as long as he can. He is also very selective about when and what he does.

15. GeeBee

GeeBee Active Member

As long as it's HIS choice.

16. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

To make it as simple as I can, Caroll's perfectly OK with Eric playing Oscar sometimes...and eventually passing the torch to Eric just as he was fine with Matt Vogel being Big Bird.

I saw Caroll and Debi at a convention last year and Caroll remarked how great a job Eric was doing with Oscar on another TV appearance that just aired. I was last in line and there was a lull in activity, so Caroll & I got to chat quite a bit.

Sometimes, Caroll can't perform his characters (puppetry and voice) due to a schedule conflict. Then Eric and Matt will do them. There was a Big Bird TV appearance the same time the convention was going on. So, Matt did Big Bird on the TV appearance and Caroll signed autographs and met fans elsewhere.

So, bottom line: Eric (and Matt) have the official seal of approval from Caroll to perform and continue his characters. Caroll's cool with it, so that's good enough for me. And yes, it's his choice and Caroll still has a "nest" at Sesame (even if it's just off camera).

WhoseLineFan likes this.
  17. GeeBee

GeeBee Active Member

Sounds good. That's the way it should always be.