1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

TV Alert: The Muppets on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon Finale February 7

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by Phillip, Feb 7, 2014.

1. scooterfan360

scooterfan360 Well-Known Member

a big thanks to the one who posted this here i missed this because once again my grandfather wanted to see the news and caused me once again to miss something i wanted to see on tv

muppetlover123 likes this.
  2. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

Great performance from Jimmy Fallon and the Muppets, who are some of my favorite entertainment stars in the world. I couldn't tell whether Jimmy was actually playing the drums or not, but that's a minor quibble. For all I know, the whole thing might have been prerecorded except for Fallon's vocals. The Electric Mayhem is in top form here (Dr. Teeth especially sounds great), but I agree with what some of you have been saying about Janice's voice…it doesn't sound like Richard at all. I also wish that Fozzie and Gonzo could have sung a line each, and that Rowlf could have appeared. I laughed whenever Animal bellowed "AAAANNNDDD!!!" and smiled at the final group shot (with Lips and Robin in the frame, nonetheless!). I would like to see the clip where Jimmy mentions the famous NBC pipes…is it online?

Overall, this is just another example of how the Muppets are really making a great comeback. Super Bowl commercials, late night TV appearances…this makes me even more excited for the new movie.

KermieBaby47 and LouisTheOtter like this.
  3. tutter_fan

tutter_fan Well-Known Member

If Constantine was there, that would've been funny to hear him sing in his Russian Voice.

4. Motown Mike

Motown Mike New Member

What was really cool about this is that it almost perfectly mirrors the Band's own performance of the song with the Staple Singers in the 1978 rockumentary movie The Last Waltz. Same camera angles, lighting, etc.

Compare here:

5. galagr

galagr Well-Known Member

I had no idea Matt Vogel had such a good singing voice. Floyd sounded amazing! :sing:

Animal's schtick got annoying pretty quickly, but I've practically come to expect that from him.

I noticed a few people point out that Rowlf and Sam weren't there. To be frank, I'd prefer to see Lips and Robin in this appearance, just because they're not very well known. Seeing them was a welcome surprise.

Heck, with the amount of Lips we've been seeing lately (This appearance, the Lady Gaga special, he has a line in MMW), it looks like those years of pleading to bring him back actually worked!

Duke Remington and minor muppetz like this.
  6. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I know that Vogel is/was part of a band (The Mighty Weaklings). Though I don't know whether his role in that band includes singing.

7. SweetPiggy

SweetPiggy Member

I saw an ad saying Will Smith would be Jimmy Fallon's first guest on the new Tonight Show but with any luck Jimmy will have them on again before the film comes out! I think it would have been awesome if the Electric Mayhem followed Jimmy Fallon to his new Tonight Show stage. The Electric Mayhem could replace that other band he has called "The Roots". I would watch Jimmy Fallon's Tonight Show every night if the Mayhem gang became his permanent band on The Tonight Show! :D :sing: :flirt: :cool: :halo:

8. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I love the song that they did, but would it have been cool if they did "Saying Goodbye" on Late Night, and then sang "Together Again" on the new Tonight Show?

Anyways Good luck Jimmy I will be watching your first Tonight Show for sure. :flirt:

9. LouisTheOtter

LouisTheOtter Well-Known Member

There are a few hundred reasons why this was amazing but I'll whittle it down to a few:

*Jimmy's earnest, almost emotional, description of NBC's Muppet Pipes (and Frank Oz's re-discovery of them)
    *Jimmy's plugging of MMW and mentioning that he doesn't have a cameo in a voice that teeters between "just pulling your leg, I'm not upset" and "I would DIE for a Muppet movie cameo"
    *The choice of an ADULT performance of an ADULT song, which is something The Muppets (and particularly The Electric Mayhem) have always done beautifully despite non-Muppet fans' insistence to the contrary
    *The loving shot-by-shot tribute to The Last Waltz (which I had never seen and therefore didn't recognize until it was pointed out earlier on this thread)
    *Terrific vocals from everybody, especially Whitmire as Kermit, Jacobsen as Piggy ("ANNNND" Animal), Baretta as Dr. Teeth and Pepe (Baretta has an incredible vocal range, doesn't he?), Vogel as Floyd (BEST EVER), Linz as Walter, and Rudman as Scooter and Janice (I know he's still working out the kinks on Janice - I'm willing to be patient on this one, fer shure, rully...)
    *The audience cheering every time a new Muppet showed up, with the biggest cheer for Kermit
    *Subtle touches like the Muppets adjusting their mics (particularly Dr. Teeth)
    *The Muppets were not only doing the song with Jimmy, they were totally in on the "Hey, where's he going?" segue between Late Night and The Tonight Show to wrap it up
    *And, I always had a soft spot for "The Weight."

Marvellous. Well done, everybody. As an isolated performance or the latest piece of The Great Muppet Wave of 2014, this is a moment that deserves its own special place in Muppet history. :) :) :)

10. MuppetsRule

MuppetsRule Well-Known Member

This is a really good posting and summary. I thought Fallon's story of the Muppet pipes in the closet was great and really demonstrated that The Muppets weren't just another guest on his show but that they were special. He certainly seemed like a big fan of the Muppets and I have no doubt he'll have them on again. And this time it will be on THE TONIGHT SHOW!!! A much bigger audience and a chance to reach out to new fans.

Duke Remington likes this.
  11. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

My God, this was so good.

Duke Remington likes this.
  12. LeahXZoot4Evur

LeahXZoot4Evur Well-Known Member

I heard a certain trumpeter got his chance to perform! I didn't see the performance!! :sigh:.

13. rexcrk

rexcrk Well-Known Member

Absolutely incredible performance, I'm completely blown away by Matt Vogel's Floyd, he's doing the character such justice!

cahuenga and Duke Remington like this.
  14. LeahXZoot4Evur

LeahXZoot4Evur Well-Known Member

Yeah! Matt did an awesome job with Floyd! But I'm mostly happy to see Robin and Lips!

minor muppetz and Duke Remington like this.
  15. minor muppetz

I didn't watch the whole show in its original broadcast (and it's actually not often I make an effort to catch Muppet appearances on shows I don't watch... It sort of feels weird that the only Late Night with Jimmy Fallon I've seen was his last), but I just now watched the opening monologue. During the portion where an audience member walks out, I feel they should have used Statler and Waldorf there.

16. minor muppetz

Lips was there but he didn't play the trumpet (I don't think Zoot played the saxophone either).

LeahXZoot4Evur likes this.
  17. dwayne1115

That's been a recurring bit on his show with the same guy always walking out. Statler and Waldorf could have worked but it would kind of take away the origins of the bit.

18. dwayne1115

Someone had asked about Jimmy unveiling the "Muppet Pipes" The first video is from the "Today Show" the second is from "NBC Nightly News" which shows Frank Oz seeing the pipes for the first time in years!

MuppetsRule and LeahXZoot4Evur like this.
  19. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

They were probably out in the sheep pasture. :) Oops. Wrong Ralph and Sam.

Well, they missed out on "Goodbye," but the second part of your request may still be in the cards.

20. minor muppetz

Then maybe they should have had them sitting with him.