1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

TV special to commemorate Kermit's 50 Years

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

2. Docnzhoss

Docnzhoss Active Member

That's awesome news! This year should be a great one for Muppet fans; Happy birthday, Kermit!
  3. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

Pardon my French, but "Kick...in'!"

Seriously, this rocks so hard and I can't wait. But if there ain't no Sesame clips in this special, someone's gotta get messed up.
  4. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

celebrating 50 years of being green

:)

The title for the roast is a bit ironic. I have read a fan fiction on this site called 50 years of being green, which was an anniversary for Kermit The frog, although it wasn't a roast.

If clips from Sam And Friends, which is owned by The Jim Henson Company, will be included, then I'm sure that some Sesame Street clips will be included as well.

I hope that this roast (and the upcoming christmas special) brings back characters who haven't been used at all in a long time, especially Lips and Uncle Deadley.
  5. Katzi428

Katzi428 Well-Known Member

YAAAAYYY!!!!! Can't wait to see it!Happy 50th Kermit! :)
  6. DannyRWW

DannyRWW Well-Known Member

Well it is promising that bert and ernie were not cut from muppet show season one. And I read on another post that sesame workshop might be present at the upcoming muppet auditions so it seems there may be a good working relationship between the companies for now anyways.... So I can't se why they wouldn't be able to use Sesame street clips (or I could be ingnorant and wrong and have no idea what I'm saying)
  7. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Oh this is going to be one of my favortie things to see is this roast. I hope that Grover is there. I know it won't happen but I would love to see Grover roast a little of Kermit's life. (LOL) And this speical thats coming this December. Can't wait for that either. GO ON DISNEY! Happy Birthday to the one and only green frog who can sing and dance but not help sell frog legs. :)
  8. McFraggle

McFraggle Active Member

That's good news! :)
  9. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

An air date has not been set yet. They are still in the pre-production and planning stages.
  10. MJTaylor

MJTaylor Member

This special sounds good indeed. I hope Australia gets it.
  11. MuppetCrazy

MuppetCrazy Member

Anyone know if this is still even happening??? :)
  12. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

i think it may have been cancelled
  13. mummytomb

mummytomb Member

So,
    What's the new story on this project?
    Anything?
    Disney was so full of promises, and yet, we've seen nothing but the old stuff and what was in production when they bought.
  14. Luke

Luke Active Member

It was cancelled ... but there are some nice Kermit 50th merchandise items around.
  15. MJTaylor

MJTaylor Member

Well, that's a pity. I did start another thread about Disney doing something right with regards to DVD's but I'm beginning to wonder...
  16. Dantecat

Dantecat Active Member

Why is it canceled?Will it ever air?
  17. Luke

Luke Active Member

It was reported that all projects in development aside from "Next Muppet" were cancelled. I think it might have been on Gelfingwaldo. I'm not sure what their source was.
  18. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour New Member

wow this is really sad I think this roast was the thing I was really looking forward to the most....shesh they could atleast release the muppets cellibrate 30 years on dvd but then I think a certan place just may freez over :halo:
  19. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

It's probably been canned. It's sad, because of all the projects announced last year, this was the one I was looking forward to the most. I don't even care if it's direct-to-video (a la A Celebration of Me, Grover), just do it! It would have been great! When else is Kermit gonna have a 50th anniversary? And if "Kermit's World Tour" has really been cancelled, then I don't really know what they're doing.

It's ironic. For years between the Disney merger of 1989 and the 2004 buyout of the Muppets, people were demonizing Michael Eisner for not caring about the Muppets and trying to make them shadows of their former selves...although he never owned them!

Then in 2004, Disney takes control and Eisner puts Chris Curtin, in charge of the Muppets division. He was considered one of his "goons," but in 2005 we heard plans for many new, exciting projects and it seemed they were gettin' things done. But when the Eisner era ended and Bob Iger came into power, things changed.

Say what you want about Eisner. He may have been polarizing, but he loved the Muppets OR at least enough to make money off them. Iger sacked Curtin and other MHC heads the first second he got in. Iger may be good for Disney as a whole--he really patched things up with Pixar and even bought Oswald the Lucky Rabbit for crying out loud! And most importantly to me, he renewed my favorite show "Kim Possible" for a fourth season, which was my main focal point and obsession for all of 2005.

I don't love or hate Eisner or Iger--never think about it really--but when it comes to our beloved Muppets, the two apparently have different ideas.

And that's my rant.
  20. OverUnderAround

OverUnderAround New Member

I agree BoyRaisin2. On the surface it seems Iger doesn't care for the Muppets. I would love to see Eisner and some private investors buy the Muppets back from Disney and develop the Muppets on their own.

I have to admit it is surprising that even the 50th year anniversary special has apparently been cancelled. Why cancel a special? Even specials make money for the networks. If they had gone through with it, maybe Ford and Pizza Hut would have been it's major sponsors.