TV star, Dave Coulier, touts CDs for kids

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
TV star, Dave Coulier, touts CDs for kids
Courtesy of the Johnson County Sun

By day, he is the writer and performs all 16 voices for a new set of children's CDs titled "Weaver Beaver and Friends." By night, Dave Coulier is a standup comedian.

Coulier is best known for his work on the hit ABC television series "Full House," which aired for eight seasons (1987-1995) and can now be seen in syndication in over 100 countries and is shown domestically every day on TNT, TBS and WGN.

He followed that by hosting ABC's "America's Funniest People" for four seasons and ABC's "The World's Funniest Voices."

Coulier is in Johnson County this weekend to promote his family-friendly Weaver Beaver CDs at Border's Books and to appear at Stanford & Sons Comedy Club.

Seated on the floor Thursday morning at Border's at 91st and Metcalf, he charmed some 25 toddlers and their moms, interspersing a few of the many voices from Weaver. He will appear at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Border's in Olathe, 15350 W. 119th St., and is scheduled for performances Friday and Saturday at 7:45 p.m. and 9:45 p.m. at Stanford & Sons, 10636 Floyd, Overland Park.

"My job is actually professional immaturity," the 42-year-old Coulier told his audience Thursday, referring to his new CDs. "If I grow up I'm out of work."

"Weaver Beaver and Friends" is about a forest full of crazy critters. The comedy sketches are aimed at kids of all ages.

Coulier, who has a 12-year-old son, believes there are not enough people making "really good things for kids. I hope I can make a lot of good things that have a really good moral to the story."

He said he has had an incredible response to Weaver. "I'm blown away by what the parents are telling me." The event at Border's was his first stop of a promotional tour that will take him to several cities across the country.

Coulier started out by doing cartoon voices on "Scooby Doo" and the re-syndicated version of "The Jetsons." After appearances on the "Tonight Show" with Johnny Carson, he was on his way to becoming a regular on "Saturday Night Live," but the network president decided he looked too much like Jim Carrey.

That turned out to be a blessing in disguise, he said, because he soon landed the part on "Full House." He still keeps in touch with the Olson twins. "We became a close-knit dysfunctional family," he said.

Asked about his favorite moment in show business, Coulier recalled a time when he was working on "Muppet Babies." "I asked Jim Henson a question and he answered in the voice of Kermit. He was truly an old soul."

In addition to seeing Coulier on the tube, you've also heard him as the voice of many Saturday morning cartoon favorites. He will next be heard as the voice of Felix the Cat in the animated feature film for video release.

How does he balance children's entertainment by day with standup comedy at night?

"They are two totally different mindsets," Coulier said. "This one is for the little ones and standup is a tough animal. You have to always be the fastest mind in the room."

Craig Glazer, owner of Stanford & Sons, was in the audience at Border's Thursday. This is Coulier's fourth appearance at the club.

"Dave is one of the nicest guys and one of the few G-rated comics," Glazer said. "He can get a little naughty, but he has a standup act that could go on daytime TV. He always sells out. It's nice to know you can entertain without (profane) language. He's one of a very short list."

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=5998935&BRD=1459&PAG=461&dept_id=155725&rfi=6

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Originally posted by Phillip Chapman
Coulier is in Johnson County this weekend to promote his family-friendly Weaver Beaver CDs at Border's Books and to appear at Stanford & Sons Comedy Club.

OH! Now I see where they went to. They got out of the junk business and went into comedy.

Wait.

That said "STANFORD & Sons", not Sanford & Sons.

Nevermind.

FOZ

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have always liked Coulier. He's the reason I never threw up watching Full House. It was getting so I couldn't watch the show EXCEPT for him (I share a bit of his characters cartoon mentality, And I can do a MEAN Bullwinkle voice as well).

He has also done voice overs for Pinky and the Brain, but not as a regular.

Dave did some Muppet voices (I think) on Full House, including a pretty good Kermit (that sounded like Frank Welker's Baby Kermit)

Joggy

Reaction score
Dave's Kermit was COOL! I've also heard him do Baby Gonzo and the Swedish Chef...

On Muppet Babies he did Animal, Bunsen, Bean, Statler and Waldorf...