TV Tropes

snichols1973

Reaction score
Is there one for, say...

When there's a device/object that turns the good guy into something that he has absolutely no control over (a villain, a mindless destruction machine, or a split personality) YET the villain uses the same thing with perfect control while retaining the same personality?

Like in The Mask, how Stanley Ipkiss has no control over what his mask enhanced personality does, yet the villain at the end of the movie is essentially the same in personality and goal without getting sidetracked unwillingly?

There's a Despicable Me 2 example I'm pretty sure is a spoiler so... the very same serum that turns the Minions into jittery, violent, uncontrollable monsters turns the bad guy at the end of the film into just the bad guy only bigger, hairier, and purple?

Or is it that those are the only 2 examples?

http://www.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SplitPersonalityTakeover

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In the few months I've signed up for the site, I've made edits/contributions but haven't been involved with anything else (like the message boards). What do you have to do to start a page?

Because I thought of a page that I haven't seen there, maybe it is and I haven't noticed the page. I'd call it "All Television is Live", referring to how many shows-within-a-show tend to be broadcast live in their respective fictional universe, even after it became more common for shows to be pre-recorded and basically make no sense to be broadcast live in this era.

There's a Despicable Me 2 example I'm pretty sure is a spoiler so...

With that example, I must point out that he was already bad, so it just made him badder.

Drtooth

Reaction score
With that example, I must point out that he was already bad, so it just made him badder.
But much like the Mask example, it didn't make him a different person. he was still a bad guy, now he's more threatening because he's larger and more powerful. His goal didn't change, he didn't get sidetracked, and most of all, he didn't exactly become a twitchy, nervous, violent freak. He even spoke normally. Not even like The Incredible Hulk.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
Why does My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic have SO MUCH TROPES? It's like they were trying to squeeze out as much as they could onto its page.

Like, Danny Phantom has about eighteen subpages. Big enough, right? MLP has 44. Honestly, does this show need six pages to cover all of it's tropes from A to Z?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Eh... I guess that works. Maybe there aren't enough shows in which that thing happens. All I can think of is Pepper Ann and an episode of The Middle. There's at least one or two more I can't get off the top of my head now.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Make it a YKTTW. Write up a description, add the examples you can think of, I'm sure other people can think of other examples. Here's one I can think of from COW AND CHICKEN: They're going to have a big test in school, Cow immediately starts studying all day and all night, while Chicken keeps putting it off, then the next morning when he realizes he forgot to study, he plays hooky to get out of taking the test. A house call from Red Guy as a doctor eventually scares a confession out of him, and when he's taken to school later that day, he sees that the big test was a chocolate-tasting test. Chicken then is allowed to take the "make up test", which has him taste-testing various desserts with fish in them.

Aaron

Reaction score
Eh... I guess that works. Maybe there aren't enough shows in which that thing happens. All I can think of is Pepper Ann and an episode of The Middle. There's at least one or two more I can't get off the top of my head now.
An episode of Hey Arnold!

mr3urious

Reaction score
Happened in Rocket Power, too, where Sam tells Otto about "Snow Day" from back in Kansas and they pretend to have one as they cut class. Meanwhile, Reggie and Twister have the time of their life during a school assembly when a Cirque du Soleil-esque circus troupe visits.