TV Tropes

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Doesn't cult classic refer to something that isn't necessarily popular or well-known within pop culture, let alone the general public, yet has a dedicated following of its own fans just the same? I really don't think the Muppets, or anything else you mentioned kind of fall into those categories, since they are big parts of pop culture.

Hmm, you know, I often have trouble understanding the definition, even when reading it.

The Muppets are and have been popular, but a number of fans here have mentioned that the fandom often seems "underground". I saw Looney Tunes and various Peanuts specials and movies (including the two best-known Peanuts specials of all time) listed under cult classics, and I would think those are as well-known as the Muppets (so in my mind, either the Muppets belong, or Looney Tunes and Peanuts don't belong).

I thought The Simpsons wasn't listed, but I was looking again and saw that it was on the list.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Cult classic is when a movie or TV show initially fails to capture mainstream success but ends up have a loyal following later on by a narrow group of fans. Eventually cult classics can go on to become mainstream classics.

I don't consider Muppet Show or Sesame Street cult clasics, they were mainstream. Better examples of cult classics are Dark Crystal and Labyrinth.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Cult classic is when a movie or TV show initially fails to capture mainstream success but ends up have a loyal following later on by a narrow group of fans. Eventually cult classics can go on to become mainstream classics.

I wonder if The Jim Henson Hour would qualify then.

Of course that still doesn't explain why the cult classics page has The Simpsons, South Park, Looney Tunes, or Peanuts specials on there.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Of course that still doesn't explain why the cult classics page has The Simpsons, South Park, Looney Tunes, or Peanuts specials on there.
I explain that as people not quite getting what cult classic means :wink:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was looking at the TV Tropes page for Child Play, where it mentions that Chuckie being alive was meant to be a twist. But I saw the first movie for the first time last week, and I don't get that sense much. I could see it being a twist at first, since for maybe the first half whenever Chuckie does something bad we see it happen from his perspective, and when the boy talks to Chuckie and the doll whispers in his ear it could be viewed as him imagining things.

But then before he reveals himself as real to the mother (the first time he does stuff that the doll isn't supposed to do), we see his hands moving on their own when he sets out to kill somebody. While watching I thought him turning his head when watching the news was revealing he was real, before I watched again and saw that the toy had a head-moving feature. And at the beginning, we see his human form using voodoo with a Chuckie doll, before we meet the main characters and see that the doll was something the kid wanted. That should have been an obvious clue that the doll was alive. It was said that the original poster was an image of the babysitter falling out the window, with a pair of eyes in the sky (as opposed to a clear image of Chuckie), But I also saw the original trailer and that showed that Chuckie is real. Not to mention he's known to be alive for almost the entire second half, so it's odd that a twist would occur so soon.

It's also interesting how this was categorized "All There Is to Know About the Crying Game", which refers to works where the twist/surprise ending is the only thing most people know about the works. I'm surprised this wasn't listed under "Late Arrival Spoiler" (I know, I should do something about that).

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I was looking at the TV Tropes page for Child Play, where it mentions that Chuckie being alive was meant to be a twist. But I saw the first movie for the first time last week, and I don't get that sense much. I could see it being a twist at first, since for maybe the first half whenever Chuckie does something bad we see it happen from his perspective, and when the boy talks to Chuckie and the doll whispers in his ear it could be viewed as him imagining things.
WHoever wrote that obviously does not know what a twist is. I think, maybe, they meant that he was becoming like a living person while in the body of the doll. Chuckie could bleed. I always found that odd but meh.

Is there a trope for dead bodies being buried on a hill top?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Maybe it's because I'm a fan of BEWITCHED, but I don't really care for how they renamed My Name is Not Durwood to Accidental Misnaming, especially considering in the case of the trope namer, I don't believe Endora kept accidentally refering to Darrin as Durwood.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Maybe it's because I'm a fan of BEWITCHED, but I don't really care for how they renamed My Name is Not Durwood to Accidental Misnaming, especially considering in the case of the trope namer, I don't believe Endora kept accidentally refering to Darrin as Durwood.
Calling it "accidental misnaming" is bull. Endora was purposely calling Darrin "Durwood" because she was trolling him. Not accidental at all. Same thing that L.B. did in Teddy Ruxpin to Tweeg. He knew full well his name was Tweeg and not Teak, Twink (well before it meant what it does, making it actually funnier in hindsight), and whatever. Heck, the heartwarming moment during the Christmas episode was when L.B. called Tweeg "Tweeg."

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Calling it "accidental misnaming" is bull. Endora was purposely calling Darrin "Durwood" because she was trolling him.
I notice there's also a new sister trope called "Malicious Misnaming", which is more appropriate for Endora calling Darrin Durwood; I think what they're trying to do is use this new Accidental Misnaming as a super trope for various different subtropes that fall into the category of misnaming characters for various different reasons.

Still prefer "My Name is Not Durwood" though. It seems like they're trying to phase out "trope namers" and make tropes in general more generic. Even when you try and propose a new trope in the YKTTW section, two rules they have right off the bat about naming your potential trope is not to name it after a specific character, show, or real person, and no stock phrases.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They're really trying to ruin their own site. When the heck did that happen?