TV Tropes

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Is there a trope for when horror movies have scenes where somebody is being chased, and they fall, and even though the chaser is running after them they take their time to get up and run away?

I can't remember any examples off-hand, but sometimes I see certain tropes on pages and it'll say to also see a different trope, yet that trope's not in the page, and when clicking on that particular trope, no examples are listed for that production. I wonder what's going on there (and I wish I could remember some examples to point out)?

Recently I was reading the trope page for Little Shop of Horrors, and it refers to that as Rick Moranis's last singing role ever, but he would later sing when he guest starred on Muppets Tonight.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Is there a trope for instances where a character is talking dirt about another, and that character suddenly shows up behind the character who is talking badly about him/her?

Some examples:
  • In UHF, George talks badly about his boss, Big Edna, who shows up as he's talking about her.
  • In The Little Rascals, Alfalfa decides to go talk to Darla. Buckweat and Stymie point out that Spankey told him he's not supposed to see Darla, Alfalfa tells them "Spanky's not the boss of me!", and then he turns around and sees Spankey.
  • In South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut, Cartman sings "Kyle's Mom's a *****", and as the song ends, Kyle's mom shows up behind Cartman.
  • In the Bullwinkle episode Painting Theft, after Boris and Natasha obtain the paintings from Bullwinkle, Boris tells Natasha that Fearless Leader is the only person in Pottsylvania rich enough to afford the paintings. He then goes on to talk poorly about Fearless Leader, who then shows up, pointing a gun to Boris. He tells Boris to go on, and though it seems Boris knows he's there, he continues talking trash about his boss, only to turn and act surprised. Of course this could be averted in that Fearless Leader prefers to be called bad.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think there is, but I'd have to look it up.

They actually have a "lost and found" section on the site where you can ask about the existence of such tropes. I recently asked if there was a trope for when characters on a series drop subtle little references to the show's actual time slot, but apparently it's covered by Leaning On The Fourth Wall.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've noticed a number of things listed in different tropes that I feel are wrong, maybe it's just a very bad opinion, not sure, but would like to point them out:
  • On the Leslie Nielsen Syndrome page, which refers to actors who were known for drama but later switched to comedy, it lists Jim Carrey there. It points out that he did have a sitcom and a comedy career, but then mentions that before he became big he did drama, but the only example listed is Doing Time on Maple Drive, which I'm pretty sure is his only pre-Truman Show dramatic role. He did several comedy films before (Once Bitten, Earth Girls are Easy, Peggy Sue Got Married), and even when he appeared in non-comedies before he still did comedy (The Dead Pool, Pink Cadillac).
  • And both Tom Hanks Syndrome (where an actor known for comedy becomes more known for drama) and the Rushmore page refer to that movie, or at least Bill Murray's role in it, as dramatic. I always thought of Rushmore as a comedy and always felt Bill Murray's role was funny. Have I been wrong all these years?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Is there a trope for instances where a character is talking dirt about another, and that character suddenly shows up behind the character who is talking badly about him/her?
If there is, something tells me it's something like "He's right behind me"

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't think TV Tropes has any tropes for when "silent" characters talk. It could be a good trope... Perhaps call it "The Silent One Speaks" or "The Tom and Jerry" (referring to how they talk in Tom and Jerry: The Movie). Perhaps if there could be a seperate page where a non-speaking character talks but it's not meant to be funny, surprising, or no big deal is made of it, call it "The Wile E. Coyote", since in all cartoons where Wile E. talks it actually doesn't come off as weird (well it sort of does when he first talks in The Adventures of Road Runner, and his "Ouch" spoken in Zoom at the Top is kinda surprising).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
On the Ernest P. Worrell page on TV Tropes, I added an entry regarding Bobby from the franchise, falling under the trope, "The Silent Bob", saying that in the original commercials, and the HEY VERN, IT'S ERNEST! TV series, Bobby never spoke, but in the movies, he may have spoken a line or two.

I think examples can be given un "The Silent Bob", but for when such characters DO speak, perhaps it's an aversion or subversion.