TV Tropes

Drtooth

Reaction score
Is there a trope for when some kid plays hookey from school and that's apparently the day everything good happens? Seen that too many times.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It doesn't appear so.

Suggest it as one in the YKTTW section.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
Like I said, I'm a fan of Nostalgia Critic like anybody else, but honestly, I think some people just base their opinions on certain movies and just all on his reviews, and again, GORDY's TV Tropes page is an example of this.
That's true. A person on YT got on my back because I disagreed with NC's takes on Space Jam, Independence Day, and Full House. Some people need to understand that being a fan of a critic is fine, but critics aren't gods.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Exactly.

That's his schtick: everything he reviews is "bad". Everything. Whether it really is or not, that's just what his gimmick is; there's plenty of shows and movies that he's reviewed that are nowhere near as bad as he makes them out to be. GORDY, SPACE JAM, ROCK-A-DOODLE, GOOD BURGER, HOME ALONE 3, SUPER MARIO BROS., TWISTER, ROVER DANGERFIELD, among others, they may not be the best movies there are, but I personally enjoy each of them... again, everything he reviews is "bad", and again, so many people base their own opinions on movies purely on his reviews alone without even seeing them for themselves. People just can't think for themselves anymore; it's kind of ruining the whole concept for me: I always enjoyed Nostalgia Critic as a series, mainly because I get a kick out of his sarcastic and extremely cynical humor, but I always really only took his reviews with a grain of salt, especially since he intentionally gets details wrong all the time anyway (once again, that was also on GORDY's TV Tropes page, some of which I removed because of inaccuracies)... but for people to actually take his reviews seriously and to heart, and automatically think something sucks just because he says so kind of ruins it.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
Exactly.

That's his schtick: everything he reviews is "bad". Everything. Whether it really is or not, that's just what his gimmick is; there's plenty of shows and movies that he's reviewed that are nowhere near as bad as he makes them out to be. GORDY, SPACE JAM, ROCK-A-DOODLE, GOOD BURGER, HOME ALONE 3, SUPER MARIO BROS., TWISTER, ROVER DANGERFIELD, among others, they may not be the best movies there are, but I personally enjoy each of them... again, everything he reviews is "bad", and again, so many people base their own opinions on movies purely on his reviews alone without even seeing them for themselves. People just can't think for themselves anymore; it's kind of ruining the whole concept for me: I always enjoyed Nostalgia Critic as a series, mainly because I get a kick out of his sarcastic and extremely cynical humor, but I always really only took his reviews with a grain of salt, especially since he intentionally gets details wrong all the time anyway (once again, that was also on GORDY's TV Tropes page, some of which I removed because of inaccuracies)... but for people to actually take his reviews seriously and to heart, and automatically think something sucks just because he says so kind of ruins it.

Indeed. And the fact that the whole "everything NC reviews, he hates to some extent" thing is just part of his shtick makes his more overzealous fans' indignation all the more irritating. Even Doug Walker himself admits that some of the things the NC character hates aren't actually that bad (perfect example: the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog/Sonic: SATAM overview. Mr. Walker has said that although he does still consider SATAM to be the superior show, he considers "Adventures" to be hilarious despite the Critic's....um, less favorable opinion).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, I do agree I think that's part of the reason why Doug started doing reviews just as himself to help people realize that he himself is not Nostalgia Critic heart and soul, he just PLAYS Nostalgia Critic, and that the Critic is just his character. And yes, I think he even did a review of movies that he GENUINELY hated when he reviewed them as the Critic, so yeah.

snichols1973

Reaction score
I've also noticed that Jerry Lewis' nerdy Prof. Julius Kelp character from The Nutty Professor (1963) has launched several other characters with similar voices and looks:

Prof. Frink, from The Simpsons, and Keswick from T.U.F.F. Puppy, to name a few;

Hank Azaria decided to ad-lib Frink's character in a Jerry Lewis Nutty Prof. voice, and the staff was so impressed, they re-designed Frink from an evil scientist into a geeky lab professor.

Jerry Lewis would even make a guest appearance as Prof. Frink's father in Treehouse of Horror XIV....

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, after months of consideration, I have finally joined TV Tropes. I am surprised that my confirmation e-mail didn't come right away (I think it came two hours after I signed up). Usually when I sign up for something online the confirmation e-mail comes right away (though it also took a week before I got my confirmation e-mail for the Muppet Central forum).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
One thing I wonder about examples pages: Why is it that some pages list puppet shows under "Live-Action Television", but others have a "Puppet Shows" section? Especially since most pages that have the "Puppet Shows" sections usually only have one or two examples.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Puppet Shows isn't it's own section, it's a trope. Most shows that have puppets go into the Live Action TV section because it's the only section it falls under - "Puppet Shows" is a trope that's associated with shows that have puppets for characters.