Tween Dora?

Redsonga

Reaction score
She is alright but I just wish shows like hers weren't in the 'talking down to the viewer' mode. It isn't so much her being a role model or not I think, it is how she teaches things...If I had to pick (from shows besides SST) I would rather have Romper Room :big_grin:! I miss good ol' Romper Room...or Lamb-chop's Play a long...or Johnny and the Sprites...
They talked to the viewer but they didn't say the same thing over and over and over like we were stupid :stick_out_tongue:

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
So strange. I don't like Dora, It seems as if the TV show dumbs kids down and makes them seem a bit less intelligent then they are in real life. The whole idea of a one way ineractive medium I find is a bit stupid. If you wanted this, you could buy an educational video game, thereby teaching kids cooridination and technology skills simaltaneously too.

Redsonga

Reaction score
So strange. I don't like Dora, It seems as if the TV show dumbs kids down and makes them seem a bit less intelligent then they are in real life. The whole idea of a one way ineractive medium I find is a bit stupid. If you wanted this, you could buy an educational video game, thereby teaching kids cooridination and technology skills simaltaneously too.
Reader Rabbit was a bit better than Dora now IMHO :coy:. But I don't think the talking to the viewer thingie is bad in itself, it's just when it is pushed so far:embarrassed:...

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Mattel doesn't care whether or not Dora is a good role model to little girls. They're in the bussiness of making money and they see little girls like those god awful Bratz dolls, so they thought let's make Dora look more like that, that's awful.

I think little girls do need more postive role models in their life and Dora is probably one of the few. In this world where Paris Hilton becomes famous for well...being Paris (and I can't say I mean that in a good way), something seems wrong.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Sf I had to pick (from shows besides SST) I would rather have Romper Room :big_grin:! I miss good ol' Romper Room...
It's funny, because in the Street Gang Book, Loretta Long was telling this guy who worked with her husband, who was working on the show (or Matt Robinson, one of the two, I forget witch one.) how much she could not stand shows like Romper Room when He was trying to convince her to audition for Sesame street. She said that she didn't like children’s shows, Especially Ones like Romper Room, that talked down to kids in a sing, song-y manor and then she started moaning the manor in witch the host talks to the kinds at home.

Anyway, I think he might have been a set designer or something, but when he showed her a clip of the show, she saw that the show he was asking her to be in was nothing like that at all... It was a completely different machine. The funny part it that most people who ended up originally working for Sesame Street didn't like children’s programming, but once they saw what they were in for, they were hooked!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I was half expecting to click the link and hear that annoying Rick Astly song again. :sing:

I bet you're thinking "Jee... I bet Dr. Tooth is gonna say this is a terrible idea!" And in all honesty, I could care less, since I think Dora is a terrible idea to begin with. I see what they were saying about Romper Room, talking down in a sing songy manner... that's what shows like Dora do. Only instead of just sing songy, they talk LOUDLY AND S L O W L Y so the 2 year olds who won't benefit from anything can understand them.

I can't wait to see how this is going to ruin a "role model" when there was nothing remarkable about the character to begin with. She can't figure stuff out on her own? really? You want Latino kids to look up to that?

As for the tweeinfication, that would have been novel 2 years ago... now it seems like the Disney Tween Grease is starting to dry up (and I thank Twilight for that! Now I don't have a reason to hate it), and the constant grabbing of the 12 year old girl market is about to peter out. Jonas Brothers stuff on 75% off clearance.... I wouldn't have been that happy if they brought Ultimate Muscle back on TV!

That said, Disney kinda had a great, underrated show about a 12 year old girl's life and her coming of age where she wasn't sexed up....Care to make a guess of what I'm talking about?

I heard they're gonna to the same thing with The Powerpuff Girls. *Shrug* Friend told me.

Powerpuff Girls Season 5, "The City of Clipsville." Check it out.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I was half expecting to click the link and hear that annoying Rick Astly song again. :sing:

That said, Disney kinda had a great, underrated show about a 12 year old girl's life and her coming of age where she wasn't sexed up....Care to make a guess of what I'm talking about?
Pepper Ann! You'll never see her in the Disney Princess line, but that's OK, she's too cool for that ;D

The only "new" Powerpuff Girls thing I've seen is that "Z" show in Japan.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The only "new" Powerpuff Girls thing I've seen is that "Z" show in Japan.
And that's been over for a while now anyway. There was a 10th anniversary special that was televised (also on the complete series set). I'd like to see them come back on other consumer goods. That movie being released at such a stupid time really hurt them.

CrazyHarryFan

Reaction score
My daughter loves Dora, and it is one of the few programs we let her watch. (We limit our kids tv time, we don't want her watching tv all day long!)

I like the new tween Dora, and can't imagine why it would be a problem? Why is it a big deal? Am I missing something? Really, I'm not being a smartbutt, I really don't see why it would even be an issue.

Hmmm, either way, I guess everything changes, everything! I know I think Dora is a fun, positive show that I would assume Jim Henson would approve of. Morally and ethically speaking.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Hmmm, either way, I guess everything changes, everything! I know I think Dora is a fun, positive show that I would assume Jim Henson would approve of. Morally and ethically speaking.
Change is fine as long as it's good change. And not simply an attempt to turn kids into sheep. :wink:

I think Dora is a good role model in that she's a nice girl and the hero of her show. However, the show does talk down to kids. It doesn't challenge them the way Sesame Street used to. It makes everything fun and simple and cute. That's not preparing kids for the world. I prefer kids shows that are a bit more multi layered (for my kids sake, not just mine :wink: ).

Like Sesame Street used to expose kids to grown up concepts and art and culture and even if kids didn't understand then, they would later on. That's what many kids shows today are lacking.

Also I think I'm speaking from the pov of someone who was ridiculed for not liking the same TV shows and music everyone else did. I am worried for the kids in school who don't like "Tween Dora."