1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Two more casting confirmations for Wiz of Oz

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by matleo, Sep 17, 2004.

1. matleo

matleo Active Member

Hey gang, just pulled this off of comingsoon.net They've cast the Wizard and Uncle Henry. Unfortunatly, if there are any anti-MFS people you may not like their choice of Wizard.

here's the article.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=6425

--Matt
  2. HappinessHotel

HappinessHotel New Member

Jeffrey Tambor and David Alan Grier

I like those additions. I'm not thrilled with the entire cast, but I think Jeffrey Tambor and David Alan Grier are funny. One of my favorite shows is 'Arrested Development', and Jeffrey Tambor is hilarious on it. Plus, I really liked David Alan Grier on 'Life with Bonnie' -- when it was on the air. I think they could provide some real comedy to their respective roles. :)
  3. Luke

Luke Active Member

Wow - they really took it close to the filming to officially cast those roles. I wonder if they were holding out for someone else or something.
  4. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Uh oh. No way can they have done that. The WIzard has to be Bunsen and Beaker. Oh my holy cow.
  5. Randlev

Randlev New Member

No, no, the wizard's gotta be human. He comes from our world, too, just like Dorothy, he's not from Oz. It's nothing like I expected but I love Jeffrey Tambor as the wizard. I think he's really funny, and can be charismatic and quite the "sentimental man" that the wizard is. It's also cool to see a familiar Muppet face. Kids will recognize him from MFS, and I think adults will get a kick out of him too.

I don't have as much of an opinion on David Alan Grier, but I've liked what I've seen, and I think he'll compliment Queen Latifah quite nicely. I'm just glad that these main roles are actually being filled by actors that I recognize and know, I'm excited for these little bits of star power.

Once again, this film is shaping up to be very interesting, but so far I'm liking how it's shaping up.
  6. McFraggle

McFraggle Active Member

I like Tambor. But I'm a fan of "Larry Sanders." Hey now. :D
  7. janicegroupie

janicegroupie New Member

Sorry if I sound totally dumb here but I can not think of who either of those actors are. :confused: Who did Jeffrey Tambor play on MFS and what are some things that David Alan Grier is on? I'm sure I know who these actors are but I'm just haing trouble putting faces with the names. Thanks to anyone who can give me info.
  8. JaniceFerSure

JaniceFerSure Active Member

I like Jeffrey Tambor too.Always have since Three's Company. He's going to make a fine wizard.
  9. McFraggle

McFraggle Active Member

Tambor was the goofy CIA operative who spent much of the film opposite Bobo Bear. David Alan Grier is probably best known for his roles on "In Living Color" and more recently "Life With Bonnie."
  10. janicegroupie

janicegroupie New Member

Thanks fo the info. Now that I know who they are I think I can definitly see Tambor as the wizard. He'll probably do a good job.
  11. Whatever

Whatever Active Member

I wanted Frank Oz to be the Wizard!
  12. Beauregard

But Singer was terrable. He was the most rubbish Muppet baddie EVER and that includes Doc Hopper...
  13. CarburetorJane

CarburetorJane New Member

Doc Hopper was great!

Anyways, Tambor was in "Three's Company"? Shiny.

Frank Oz or Brian Henson would have made super-cool Wizards. Perhaps Frank especially, for the irony of his last name....
  14. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I have wanted to see Frank Oz play the Wizard from the beginning. Too bad it won't happen.
    ============================
    Tambor & Grier to the Wizard of Oz
    Source: The Hollywood Reporter September 17, 2004

Jeffrey Tambor and David Alan Grier have joined the cast of ABC's original movie, The Muppets' Wizard of Oz.

Tambor will play the Wizard in the project, which centers on aspiring performer Dorothy Gale (Ashanti), who works at the diner of her Auntie Em (Queen Latifah) and Uncle Henry (Grier) in a small Kansas town until a tornado sweeps up her trailer.

The Muppet stars, including Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy, are portraying the creatures Dorothy encounters in Oz.
    ===========================
  15. Princeton

Princeton Guest

That was "The Ropers". :o
  16. JaniceFerSure

JaniceFerSure Active Member

Ahem.He was on Three's Company too. His listing:

"Dr. Phillip Greene" in episode: "Jack Goes to the Dentist" (episode # 7.2) 12 October 1982 "Dr. Tom Miller" in episode: "Two Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" (episode # 6.7) 17 November 1981 "Winston Cromwell III" in episode: "Father of the Bride" (episode # 5.13) 10 February 1981.Yes,he was on the Ropers too.
  17. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

He also tried for the part of Arthur Fonzerelli on Happy Days... ;)
  18. McFraggle

McFraggle Active Member

Hey Now! :crazy:
  19. Beauregard

From the way that is written it sounds like, 'and, oh yes, the muppets will be in this tiny bit part cameo os creatures...'
  20. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're right. The Muppets should get a MUCH better write-up!!