Two Muppet Mentions on the Conan

Foreignman

Reaction score
Don't know if anyone saw the episode, but two nights ago there were two Muppet references, one in the monolouge and one by Dave Atell. The joke in the monolouge was that the government has cut funding for public broadcasting and as such Bert and Ernie will have to make extra money by donating to sperm banks, he followed that up with "I wonder what magazine they'll use..." Later Atell was ranting about the terrible things kids watch on TV nowadays, "Just give me some Muppets" he said.

Luke

Reaction score
I think that show has a Muppet fixation ...... but i guess it's good to see them talked about.

scarecroe

Reaction score
I can't wait for the day that Conan has Gonzo on the show. He's clearly a fan of the Muppets as evidenced by all the references. Plus he's just the right age to have been able to appreciate them in the height of their greatness, and well, his humour probably came in part from the Muppets. He did write for The Simpsons after all, which is often linked with the Muppets both in references and tone of humour.

Remember his cameo in Elmopalooza?

Luke

Reaction score
I would definitely like to see more Gonzo appearances anywhere, and he has the nice suit and tie too !

radionate

Reaction score
About a month ago I was lounging around in bed watching Conan, and once again he had a whole mini Muppet Spoof, with puppets. It wasn't appropriate material to post here, but I laughed my butt off. I love Conan, and his love for the little felt critters is appearant. I catch, on average, one Muppet joke or reference every other week or so.

I think that we will be seeing more and more references in the next few years, as the generation that first grew up with both Sesame Street and The Muppet Show are finally gaining a strong hold in the entertainment community. Its a changing of the guard, and humor that can strongly be communicated to people of our (that) generation.

(Am I making myself sound old now?)

Foreignman

Reaction score
Hey Nate, I saw that too. It was wonderful, but as you thought a wee bit raunchy to repeat on this message board where small children are no doubt running through constantly (trying to find any decent Muppets to entertain them but only finding old men conversing philisophically about them). It was on the Conan episode last month with Ray Liotta, I was disapointed that after the "puppets" came on he had no comment being the Muppety guy he is.

Yet another Muppet reference was on Conan last night, another joke in the monolouge. I wasn't focused on it and missed it but heard the words "George Bush commented that the colors are going from Bert to Ernie".

Super Scooter

Reaction score
*as I run through*

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah!

Look, mommy! Those two nasty ol' men is talkin' 'bouts me!

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah!

Mommy, wha's an adult situation?

*gasp*

Theys talkin' baaaaaaaaaaaaaadddddddd things! I tellin' their mommys!

:big_grin:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Originally posted by Super Scooter

Theys talkin' baaaaaaaaaaaaaadddddddd things! I tellin' their mommys!

:big_grin:

hey! that's me....were we seperated at birth super scooter?

Sarah

foofoocakes

Reaction score
Are we sure Conan isn't really a muppet? Tak a close look at that hair. It could be a wig.:smile: