Two mystery animations

SesameMike

Reaction score
Does anyone remember these two slightly scary animations from the mid-1970s?

1. I only remember the ending of this one. A ship out at sea was sinking for some reason. The captain yelled out "Land! Ho!", but then casually says "Oh, never mind." The ship then smoothly disappears below the water line (might have been hard to tell that the ocean wasn't rising, think relativity) to the sound of softer nautical music. After the last few notes -- a "da-da da-da-da-da" a la original Popeye theme introduction -- we see a lone bubble ascend out of the water from where the boat had just sunk, then pop in mid-air.

That captain sure took going down with the ship in stride.

2. (I am not 100% certain this was Sesame Street) A narrator introduces a series of creepy monsters, and describes them one-by-one.

One monster "screws off his head", with an accompanying animation showing said creature unscrewing his cranium with his hands and holding it up.

One monster "drinks all the sea", as he drinks up the contents of a harbor (with a straw?). After all has been consumed, a sailboat floating in said waters falls over on its side in the seabed.

These ring a bell with anyone?

SesameMike

Reaction score
Has the first of these animations been found? I think the second one showed up on YouTube not too long ago.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
This is the second cartoon you're referring to.

"Seven Monsters", animated by Maurice Sendak

crackmaster

Reaction score
The end of that sketch, with the house, made me react the same way Black Vulcan did when he saw Batman & Robin being turned into vampires in the Super Friends episode "The Voodoo Vampire."