Two narrated films

SesameMike

Reaction score
Does anyone remember the following nickelodeon-type films? Each was narrated by a female voice-over.

In the first film, we see some woman in a jungle, gradually sinking in quicksand. She's just about up to her neck when she spots a vine overhead. Using a handgun (!), she shoots the vine, causing one end of it fall from the trees into her hand. She climbs the vine to escape the mud. I think this film had a fast-paced piano soundtrack.

In the second film, which was in 1920s-era black-and-white, a man is repeatedly lengthening and shortening his car. It was kinda weird, as he lengthened the vehicle by pulling on it, revealing a sawtooth-like chassis. The voiceover said "long", "short" as needed. Finally, when the car was in the long state, the man raised a hood over the seats (in the back of the car), and took the stretched auto for a ride. After a moment of driving, the car's engine blew a gasket or something (as evidenced by a puff of smoke from under the hood) and stopped cold... as it was straddling a railroad grade crossing. As a steam locomotive was rapidly approaching the car, the narrator said she thinks the car is going to be short again. After she yells a "WATCH OUT", the chugging iron horse effortlessly plows through the jagged center of the stretched vehicle, rendering the remainder of the car short indeed.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I remember them too. The thing that always impressed me about the car film was it looked like an optical illusion of the man stretching the car. Then they'd reverse the film for a few frames to create the illusion of shortening it.

But the long car definitely looked cool (the 20's version of today's stretch limos), but must've been a pain trying to make sharp turns.

There was one other narrated film, of a girl in a burning apartment who needs
"HELP!!!". A daring acrobatic gentleman swings by on a rope to grab her from certain doom, and drops her into the arms of the crowd below.
"He's a real swinger!" comments the narrator.

Neat little period pieces, ain't they?:sleep: